Speech Police Target L.A.

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
LOS ANGELES (CBS) — City Council members were one step closer on Wednesday to becoming the first in the nation to adopt a resolution condemning certain types of speech on public airwaves.

Councilmember Jan Perry introduced legislation this week that would call upon media companies to ensure “on-air hosts do not use and promote racist and sexist slurs” on radio and other broadcasts.

City Council Warns ‘Crack Ho’ Comments ‘Intolerable’, Calls For Diversity In Talk Radio « CBS Los Angeles

"Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?... Has it ever occurred to your, Winston, that by the year 2050, at the very latest, not a single human being will be alive who could understand such a conversation as we are having now?... The whole climate of thought will be different. In fact, there will be no thought, as we understand it now. Orthodoxy means not thinking-not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness."
- George Orwell, 1984, Book 1, Chapter 5

And so it begins....

Yes but being stupid and being in power make dangerous bedfellows.

This is CA. Nothing should surprise us.

As I used to tell my American History students: California and Louisiana, two states that have more than their fair share of lunatics. (please take no offense Californians and Louisianians, just a historical fact).

You're right that it would be better if there were more restraints on people making stupid rules and regulations of course. But in a democracy, it's up to the voters to be the ultimate restraint.

Perhaps you would know this. Doesn't the FCC regulate the airwaves? How could this be banned by a city? I live in NJ and can get Philly stations. If my town banned a certain shock jock, how would that work?

I'm also curious how they can target radio and not TV? I'm sure it has NOTHING to do with all the TV studios in LA.

Perhaps you would know this. Doesn't the FCC regulate the airwaves? How could this be banned by a city? I live in NJ and can get Philly stations. If my town banned a certain shock jock, how would that work?

I'm also curious how they can target radio and not TV? I'm sure it has NOTHING to do with all the TV studios in LA.

As I understand it, the propsal before this city council is just a resolution. That is not any form of regulation, just a declaration. Ithey feel f they wanted to they could vote a resolution saying that everybody should be nice to one another. Doesn't really mean a thing.

The resolution merely condemns racist and sexist slurs. It doesn't make them illegal.

You stupid crack ho.

The resolution merely condemns racist and sexist slurs. It doesn't make them illegal.

You stupid crack ho.

Your Avi looks like a crack ho. Is that you in the hat? :D

Truth is an absolute defense. Whitney Houston was indeed a crack ho who spent her last day drowning in enough booze to fill a bathtub.

You stupid crack ho.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUzs5dlLrm0]The Monkees - "Pleasant Valley Sunday" - ORIGINAL VIDEO - HQ - YouTube[/ame]
The Monkees - "Pleasant Valley Sunday"

Ideal radio line up of the City Counsil...

9am - 11am.....The green show...discussing green energy efforts and applauding our President.
11am - noon....Sasha's Gay and Lesbian show. Panel discusses issues for the Gay and Lesbian community.
Noon - 3pm....The dark side of America. Hosts Al Sharpton and Rev. Wright spend afternoons talking about racism and police brutality in America.
3pm to 5pm...El America...News for the Latino nation.
5pm to 6pm....Dinner with Maher.

The LA Coroner just came out with Housto's autopsy results, it was cocaine. John and Ken are guilty of what? Premature honesty?

Ideal radio line up of the City Counsil...

9am - 11am.....The green show...discussing green energy efforts and applauding our President.
11am - noon....Sasha's Gay and Lesbian show. Panel discusses issues for the Gay and Lesbian community.
Noon - 3pm....The dark side of America. Hosts Al Sharpton and Rev. Wright spend afternoons talking about racism and police brutality in America.
3pm to 5pm...El America...News for the Latino nation.
5pm to 6pm....Dinner with Maher.

ahhhh, NPR......

Forum List

Back