Spectacular, sad song...

One of the saddest yet most beautiful songs I have ever heard. It was inspired by the death of Greg Carroll

"On 3 July 1986,[12] just before the start of the recording sessions for The Joshua Tree, Carroll was killed in a motorcycle accident while on a courier run. A car had pulled in front of him, and unable to stop in the rain, Carroll struck the side of the car and was killed instantly.[9] The event shocked the entire band; drummer Larry Mullen, Jr. said, "his death really rocked us – it was the first time anyone in our working circle had been killed."[10] Guitarist the Edge said, "Greg was like a member of the family, but the fact that he had come under our wing and had travelled so far from home to be in Dublin to work with us made it all the more difficult to deal with."[13] Bassist Adam Clayton described it as "a very sobering moment", saying, "it inspired the awareness that there are more important things than rock 'n' roll. That your family, your friends and indeed the other members of the band – you don't know how much time you've got left with them."[9][13] Bono said, "it was a devastating blow. He was doing me a favour. He was taking my bike home."[9] He later commented, "it brought gravitas to the recording of The Joshua Tree. We had to fill the hole in our heart with something very, very large indeed, we loved him so much."[13] Accompanied by Bono, Ali, Mullen, and other members of the U2 organisation, Carroll's body was flown back to New Zealand and buried in the traditional Māori manner at Kai-iwi Marae near Whanganui, Carroll's hometown.[9][12] Bono sang "Let It Be" and "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" for him at the funeral.[12]"

One Tree Hill (song) - Wikipedia

New Topics

Forum List

Back