Special Olympics

Againsheila

Gold Member
Nov 1, 2008
Federal Way WA
Practice is now in session for soccer and track and field programs. My son is in track. He walks, he doesn't run. He's also in the softball throw. At 21, he doesn't talk but he loves those Special Olympics. You can tell by the smile on his face when he's there. When he was little, we couldn't keep anything on his walls, he kept pulling it all down. After his first year in the Special Olympics, we did a collage with his medals and other Special Olympics souvenirs and that was the first thing he left on his walls.

Special Olympics is for EVERYONE. They even have a mixed race for people who have brothers or sisters that are in the Special Olympics so they can compete against their own siblings.

Spring is late getting here and track has been cold and rainy, but they all show up anyway, most of them with smiles on their faces. Some of them talk non-stop, some don't talk at all, but they all have fun and they all work hard to get those medals. At the same time, they treat each other with respect and dignity.

I saw a race of old women (there is no upper age limit for the Special Olympics). One of them was way ahead of the others, over 1/2 the track ahead. As she came around towards the stands, she heard us cheering for her and she stopped and smiled and waved at us. She just stood there as the other women passed her up, the last woman stopped, turned around, went back and took her by the hand across the finish line.

One young man had already earned a gold and a bronze medal and he kept seeing the silver medals and asking what they were for, when someone told him "second place" in his next race he was in the lead, but stopped, right at the finish line and waited for someone to cross in front of him, so he could then cross and get the silver. He was so proud of having the whole set.

Regionals are August 25th, and state is May 30-Jun 1st. Let's hope the whole team gets gold at the Regionals so they can all go to state.

I highly advise anyone interested to get online now and volunteer for the Special Olympics, you won't find many more rewarding experiences in your life.

So it is a statewide competition and not a worlwide?

I hope your son does well and you all have a good time.

So it is a statewide competition and not a worlwide?

I hope your son does well and you all have a good time.

Every so often they have a world wide competition, but it's really tough to get in, my son has never even made it to the nationals, but he's made it to state every year so far.

Thanks, I hope my son does well, and I know we'll all have a good time.

Practice is now in session for soccer and track and field programs. My son is in track. He walks, he doesn't run. He's also in the softball throw. At 21, he doesn't talk but he loves those Special Olympics. You can tell by the smile on his face when he's there. When he was little, we couldn't keep anything on his walls, he kept pulling it all down. After his first year in the Special Olympics, we did a collage with his medals and other Special Olympics souvenirs and that was the first thing he left on his walls.

Special Olympics is for EVERYONE. They even have a mixed race for people who have brothers or sisters that are in the Special Olympics so they can compete against their own siblings.

Spring is late getting here and track has been cold and rainy, but they all show up anyway, most of them with smiles on their faces. Some of them talk non-stop, some don't talk at all, but they all have fun and they all work hard to get those medals. At the same time, they treat each other with respect and dignity.

I saw a race of old women (there is no upper age limit for the Special Olympics). One of them was way ahead of the others, over 1/2 the track ahead. As she came around towards the stands, she heard us cheering for her and she stopped and smiled and waved at us. She just stood there as the other women passed her up, the last woman stopped, turned around, went back and took her by the hand across the finish line.

One young man had already earned a gold and a bronze medal and he kept seeing the silver medals and asking what they were for, when someone told him "second place" in his next race he was in the lead, but stopped, right at the finish line and waited for someone to cross in front of him, so he could then cross and get the silver. He was so proud of having the whole set.

Regionals are August 25th, and state is May 30-Jun 1st. Let's hope the whole team gets gold at the Regionals so they can all go to state.

I highly advise anyone interested to get online now and volunteer for the Special Olympics, you won't find many more rewarding experiences in your life.
Good luck!
Where is state this year? I swear they had it Spokane last year or maybe it was the year before. I just remember them running the torch through town mostly because I got stuck behind them in traffic.
I used to work with a kid who used to sweap the long distance race or something, he was actually good enough to run at Oregon.

Good luck!
Where is state this year? I swear they had it Spokane last year or maybe it was the year before. I just remember them running the torch through town mostly because I got stuck behind them in traffic.
I used to work with a kid who used to sweap the long distance race or something, he was actually good enough to run at Oregon.

State is and always has been at Ft Lewis/McChord. They do run the torch through most of the state though and it's usually run by cops, not the athletes themselves.

Good luck!

State is and always has been at Ft Lewis/McChord. They do run the torch through most of the state though and it's usually run by cops, not the athletes themselves.
maybe that was it than! Maybe they were having regionals here that day.
When I saw them with the torch they had an athlete with them, but I think they were only going a short distance.
Hope you guys have fun and your son wins some medals!

ahh no one can forget the year i made the mistake of giving the volunteer lunches to the kids....the kids enjoyed the dble lunch...the volunteers hated me for the day.....

if you have never volunteered for the special olympics do so....very rewarding....never dull

my brother was in special olympics, he loved it. have a good time and don't listen to obama's snobbery concerning those on special olympics.

my brother was in special olympics, he loved it. have a good time and don't listen to obama's snobbery concerning those on special olympics.

I've got a nephew in Special Olympics. It's wonderful. Obama needs to go through sensitivity training. He's a real loser IMO.

I've got a nephew in Special Olympics. It's wonderful. Obama needs to go through sensitivity training. He's a real loser IMO.

Obama_SnobPosterM.jpg

If you ever get jaded about life, go watch a Special Olympics event. I tell ya, it's the best!

I was a coach for the kids and adults that compete, and there is nothing more satisfying for those competing and those watching.

One of my boys even made it to the World Special Olympics in Japan one year! :clap2:

I taught special ed while in school, yes taught it, they were awesome students and are awesome people. That being said, they also had the best sense of humors and laughed at almost everything ... we can learn a lot from them ... like how not to take a mild passing comment too seriously ...

Often times "special" people have more common sense than those that think they have.

What the fuck does special mean in this instance anyway?Can't we come up with something better than that?

Often times "special" people have more common sense than those that think they have.

What the fuck does special mean in this instance anyway?Can't we come up with something better than that?

It's because so many weak minded people found the logical and more accurate terms "offensive" ... so they had to make themselves feel better by now calling them "special". I'm handicap in some ways, but I am not special for anything that I have no control over and it's demeaning to be considered special for circumstances and not for actual accomplishments really. I would smack someone if they called me "special" just because of my problems and completely ignore my real accomplishments.

Here is who started it. Back on the day, people called those with disabilities morons, retards, and idiots.

Today those names are reserved for message board posters who can't think of any creative things to say. :eusa_whistle:

http://www.specialolympics.org/EKS_fellowship.aspx

It's because so many weak minded people found the logical and more accurate terms "offensive" ... so they had to make themselves feel better by now calling them "special". I'm handicap in some ways, but I am not special for anything that I have no control over and it's demeaning to be considered special for circumstances and not for actual accomplishments really. I would smack someone if they called me "special" just because of my problems and completely ignore my real accomplishments.

:cool:I think I love you.

:cool:I think I love you.

It's one of the reasons I don't like religious fanatics to, they want to give all the credit of someone who does something good to their god instead of saying "great job."

Here is who started it. Back on the day, people called those with disabilities morons, retards, and idiots.

Today those names are reserved for message board posters who can't think of any creative things to say. :eusa_whistle:

I use all those and more, not because I have no imagination but because I know those I say it to don't.Sorry.

I use all those and more, not because I have no imagination but because I know those I say it to don't.Sorry.

Ah, I love you Roomy, how could anyone ever be mad at sweet little you? :confused:

Forum List

Back