Special Announcement: Episode III Title

insein

Apr 10, 2004
Philadelphia, Amazing huh...
http://starwars.com/episode-iii/bts/production/news20040724.html

Special Announcement: Episode III Title
July 24, 2004

starwars.com is pleased to announce that Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith is the full title of the next Star Wars film, scheduled for release on May 19, 2005.
The Sith are masters of the dark side of the Force and the sworn enemies of the Jedi. They were all but exterminated by the Jedi a thousand years ago, but the evil order continued in secrecy. They operated quietly, behind the scenes, acting in pairs - a Master and an Apprentice - patiently biding their time before they could take over the galaxy. In Episode III, they'll finally exact their revenge on the Jedi.

The title was publicly revealed today in a special presentation to a packed audience of Star Wars fans at Comic-Con International in San Diego, California. "For some time now, the naming of a new Star Wars movie has taken on some special meaning among core fans, who love to take part in guessing games before a title is announced, and then engage in debate once it is," said Steve Sansweet, Director of Content Management and Head of Fan Relations for Lucasfilm. "Let the debates begin."

The title wasn't the only surprise for those in attendance at the presentation. Click here for news about even more Star Wars DVDs in 2004 and 2005, surprise celebrity guests, new planets in Episode III, and

Can't wait.

I like the title alright, it's way better than Attack of the Clones, anyway. But, either way, I probably won't see it, AotC was horrible. I guess I'm curious as to whether they end it on a happy or sad note, though.

Funny story abou the new title:
I heard this from a guy who has a lot of contacts in LA (he's a screenwriter), and he said that the original title for Jedi was Revenge of the Jedi, and Lucasfilms had gone so far as to have promotional material printed up for it before somebody mentioned to Lucas that revenge is completely opposite from the entire way of life for the Jedi, so Lucas quickly changed it to Return. According to this guy, Lucas has mentioned to some people that he named this one so he could finally have a movie with Revenge in the title. But, I've also heard that Lucas knew all along he was going to call it REturn of the Jedi, and he printed up some fake Revenge things just to screw up the poster/toy/etc. bootleggers of the time. Not sure which is true, really.

I enjoyed the newer Star Wars movies, even though a lot of people have panned them. And I think this is a fitting title - after all, the Sith are about to take over the Empire and the galaxy... can't wait!

Never saw Episode one, maybe that's why I didn't like Episode II. Episode II just seemed like a whole lot of people standing around talking about stuff that I didn't know or didn't care about, and then in the middle of it there's this super-corny love story. And, in the end, the damn clones never really "attacked" anyway, they just sort of "defended".

Dan said:
Never saw Episode one, maybe that's why I didn't like Episode II. Episode II just seemed like a whole lot of people standing around talking about stuff that I didn't know or didn't care about, and then in the middle of it there's this super-corny love story. And, in the end, the damn clones never really "attacked" anyway, they just sort of "defended".

Yes. that is why you should go see Episode 1 before you pass judgement. IT explains it a whole lot more. Episode I many people felt was dull basically because it setup 2. I thought they were both good as part of the whole. Episode 3 will probably be the darkest of all 6 of the movies. The title should give that away easily.

Episode 3 will probably be the darkest of all 6 of the movies. The title should give that away easily.

Yeah, well, the title of Episode 2 gives the impression that there will be some action in it. Titles can be decieving. Look at 'The Neverending Story'. Oh, it ends!

I say we make a list of all the stuff that has to happen in Episode III to lead to Episode IV, because Mr. Lucas didn't feel the need to put many relevant parts in the first two movies.

We need to see the decade long Clone War.
Supreme Chancellor Palpatine must crown himself Emperor.
The Old Republic must be mostly dissolved.
Need to see the formation of the Rebellion, which is distinctly different than the Separtists movement going in the second movie.
Need to see the end of that aforementioned Separtist movement.
Padme and Anakin have to have twins.
Padme has to die.
All the Jedi need to be wiped out (save 2).
Anakin has to turn to the Dark side.
Dooku has to die. (maybe we'll actually figure out what his story is, but I almost don't care)

Additionally:
Probably get some early Han/Chewbacca action.
Probably get some more Bobba Fett story.
Hopefully get to see Jar Jar's gruesome horrible demise.

Can anyone think of anything else?

I figure instead of the usual 3 short paragraphs at the begining of every other 'Star Wars' movie, in Episode III we'll be treated to about 30 minutes of text scrolling across the screen, and the movie itself will be 8-10 hours long. That might take care of it.

Zhukov said:
I say we make a list of all the stuff that has to happen in Episode III to lead to Episode IV, because Mr. Lucas didn't feel the need to put many relevant parts in the first two movies.

Need to see the formation of the Rebellion, which is distinctly different than the Separtists movement going in the second movie.
Padme has to die.
Dooku has to die. (maybe we'll actually figure out what his story is, but I almost don't care)

Additionally:

We'll likely read about the first part of the Clone War in the opening scroll.
The Republic need not be dissolved - the Emperor dissolves the Senate in Episode 4 ANH (this is mentioned in a meeting on the Death Star) so as long as he has the ultimate power, no need to dissolve the structure of the gov't.
We'll have to see Anakin start to morph into Darth Vader after he turns to the Sith.
Padme will likely be pregnant at the start of the movie. We have to see Obi-Wan hide the two kids, and hide out himself, while fooling the Dark Side into thinking he is dead so he can hide out until ANH.
I think the Jedi's stand against the Empire will coincide with the rise of the Rebellion - the Separatists will be killed off or assimilated, well, separately.

-I think we'll advance another 5 to 10 years into the future so this is a possibilty.

-Most likely will happen.

-Not neccessarily. It wasn't completely dissolved until Episode 4. I think we'll see it dieing though.

-Yes.

-Probably will happen.

-Will happen

Padme has to die.
-Most likely will happen

-No they don't. Jedi will be killed but then they scatter and go into hiding ala Yoda. Not all the jedi were killed save Obiwan and Yoda.

-Oh you better believe this will happen. That will be the center of the movie. He will become Darth vader.

-Should be interesting. My guess is Anakin will kill him.

Additionally:
-If the timeline matches up, but doubt it. Han and Chewie weren't truly a team till about 12 years before Ep 4. Dunno where this movie will fall.

-Yes

-YES YES OH GOD YESS!!!!!

insein said:
-No they don't. Jedi will be killed but then they scatter and go into hiding ala Yoda. Not all the jedi were killed save Obiwan and Yoda.

Actually, when Darth Vader tells Governor Tuck that Obi-Wan is aboard the Death Star in ANH, Gov. Tuck calls that impossible, since Darth is supposed to be the "last of their kind." Obi-Wan and Yoda seem to be the only ones that survive, and they must have been presumed dead. Since Yoda and Obi-Wan are the only two old-school Jedi seen in Episodes 4-6, I think it's safe to presume that all the Jedi except for those two are killed.

Going to dork out completely here:

insein said:
-Not neccessarily. It wasn't completely dissolved until Episode 4. I think we'll see it dieing though.

gop_jeff said:
The Republic need not be dissolved - the Emperor dissolves the Senate in Episode 4 ANH (this is mentioned in a meeting on the Death Star) so as long as he has the ultimate power, no need to dissolve the structure of the gov't.

First there's the simple matter of nomenclature. An Emperor does not rule over a Republic, he rules over an Empire.

Second, what Grand Moff Tarkin says, walking into the officers' briefing room on the Death Star is, "the Emperor has dissolved the Senate, the last vestiges of the Old Republic have been swept away". This implies that though the Senate at least still functioned at that time it was by that point merely a rubber-stamp institution with little if any real power.

I would hope by the end of Episode III, though some of the buearucracy of the Old Republic will invariably remain, what traditionally had been "the Republic" will no longer exist as it had. Several of the important systems will have abandoned it, and those systems that remain will exert no power.

insein said:

Actually as stated by Gop_jeff, there is an explicit statement that indicates that the Empire at the very least believes there are no other Jedi, and since no Jedi outside of Obi-Wan and Yoda appear in Episodes 4-6, and both speak of Luke being their last hope (with the exception of course of his sister), we can reasonably assume even they think all the other Jedi were wiped out. So, we need to see Obi-Wan and Yoda escape, and every other Jedi killed.

insein said:
-If the timeline matches up, but doubt it. Han and Chewie weren't truly a team till about 12 years before Ep 4. Dunno where this movie will fall.

I think you're right here, the timeline probably won't match up. But somehow I doubt that will dissuade Lucas.

Zhukov said:

Padme has to die.

Additionally:

I figure instead of the usual 3 short paragraphs at the begining of every other 'Star Wars' movie, in Episode III we'll be treated to about 30 minutes of text scrolling across the screen, and the movie itself will be 8-10 hours long. That might take care of it.

Also...
__Why Yoda/Obi-Wan/Anakin turn to ghosts but Qui-Gon doesn't shall be explained.
__We may see Boba Fett again, possibly looking for revenge on the Jedi, especially Mace Windu.
__We may see the construction of the Death Star.

gop_jeff said:
Actually, when Darth Vader tells Governor Tuck that Obi-Wan is aboard the Death Star in ANH, Gov. Tuck calls that impossible, since Darth is supposed to be the "last of their kind." Obi-Wan and Yoda seem to be the only ones that survive, and they must have been presumed dead. Since Yoda and Obi-Wan are the only two old-school Jedi seen in Episodes 4-6, I think it's safe to presume that all the Jedi except for those two are killed.

Read the books that extend the story. Many jedi survived but hid from Vader and the emporer. Vader didnt know where Yoda was.

__Why Yoda/Obi-Wan/Anakin turn to ghosts but Qui-Gon doesn't shall be explained.
Maybe

__We may see Boba Fett again, possibly looking for revenge on the Jedi, especially Mace Windu.

Probably. Boba will be in his late teens early 20's in this film.

__We may see the construction of the Death Star.
Definitely NOT. Timeline doesn't match up.

Maybe we'll see Qui-Gon as a blue-glowy talk to Obi-Wan about Anakin or even try to dissuade Anakin from the Dark Side.

As for the Death Star, we might get a shot of the skeleton of it under construction as Episode III ends (with the Empire's theme song playing of course).

This movie is going to have to end like 'Empire' did, unfinished. Or at least it should. I wonder though if Lucas has the guts to do that.

I don't think unfinished would be the word. I think it needs to be a complete Imperial victory at the end of this movie. That would give the second trilogy that much more meaning.

Forum List

Back