Speaking of the fine people of New Orleans

sitarro

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2003
USA
I was just saying yesterday at the smoke shop that it would be interesting to know how many tax dollars were being squandered on the useless garbage that have relocated from the flooded Crescent City and increased the murder and crime rates across the country.:puke:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060614/D8I7RQ7O1.html

FEMA Funds Spent on Divorce, Sex Change
Email this Story

Jun 14, 3:38 AM (ET)

By LARRY MARGASAK

WASHINGTON (AP) - Houston divorce lawyer Mark Lipkin says he can't recall anyone paying for his services with a FEMA debit card, but congressional investigators say one of his clients did just that.
The $1,000 payment was just one example cited in an audit that concluded that up to $1.4 billion - perhaps as much as 16 percent of the billions of dollars in assistance expended after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita - was spent for bogus reasons.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency also was hoodwinked to pay for season football tickets, a tropical vacation and a sex change operation, the audit found. Prison inmates, a supposed victim who used a New Orleans cemetery for a home address and a person who spent 70 days at a Hawaiian hotel all were able to get taxpayer help, according to evidence that gives a new black eye to the nation's disaster relief agency.
"I do Katrina victims all the time," Lipkin, the divorce attorney, told The Associated Press. "I didn't know anybody did that with me. I don't think it's right, obviously."

(AP) A survivor of Hurricane Katrina holds a debit card from FEMA outside the Reliant Center in...
Full Image
Government Accountability Office officials were testifying before a House committee Wednesday on their findings.
Rep. Michael McCaul, R-Texas, chairman of the subcommittee overseeing an investigation of post-hurricane aid, called the bogus spending "an assault on the American taxpayer."
"Prosecutors from the federal level down should be looking at prosecuting these crimes and putting the criminals who committed them in jail for a long time," he said.
To dramatize the problem, investigators provided lawmakers with a copy of a $2,358 U.S. Treasury check for rental assistance that an undercover agent received using a bogus address. The money was paid even after FEMA learned from its inspector that the undercover applicant did not live at the address.
FEMA spokesman Aaron Walker said Tuesday that the agency, already criticized for a poor response to Katrina, makes its highest priority during a disaster "to get help quickly to those in desperate need of our assistance."
"Even as we put victims first, we take very seriously our responsibility to be outstanding stewards of taxpayer dollars, and we are careful to make sure that funds are distributed appropriately," Walker said.
FEMA said it has identified more than 1,500 cases of potential fraud after Katrina and Rita and has referred those cases to the Homeland Security Department's inspector general. The agency said it has identified $16.8 million in improperly awarded disaster relief money and has started efforts to collect the money.
The GAO said it was 95 percent confident that improper and potentially fraudulent payments were much higher - between $600 million and $1.4 billion.
The investigative agency said it found people lodged in hotels often were paid twice, since FEMA gave them individual rental assistance and paid hotels directly. FEMA paid California hotels $8,000 to house one individual - the same person who received three rental assistance payments for both disasters.
In another instance, FEMA paid an individual $2,358 in rental assistance, while at the same time paying about $8,000 for the same person to stay 70 nights at more than $100 per night in a Hawaii hotel.
FEMA also could not establish that 750 debit cards worth $1.5 million even went to Katrina victims, the auditors said.
Among the items purchased with the cards:
_An all-inclusive, one-week Caribbean vacation in the Punta Cana resort in the Dominican Republic.
_Five season tickets to New Orleans Saints professional football games.
_Adult erotica products in Houston and "Girls Gone Wild" videos in Santa Monica, Calif.
_Dom Perignon champagne and other alcoholic beverages in San Antonio.
"Our forensic audit and investigative work showed that improper and potentially fraudulent payments occurred mainly because FEMA did not validate the identity of the registrant, the physical location of the damaged address, and ownership and occupancy of all registrants at the time of registration," GAO officials said.
FEMA paid millions of dollars to more than 1,000 registrants who used names and Social Security numbers belonging to state and federal prisoners for expedited housing assistance. The inmates were in Louisiana, Texas, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia and Florida.
FEMA made about $5.3 million in payments to registrants who provided a post office box as their damaged residence, including one who got $2,748 for listing an Alabama post office box as the damaged property.
The GAO told of an individual who used 13 different Social Security numbers - including the person's own - to receive $139,000 in payments on 13 separate registrations for aid. All the payments were sent to a single address.

dmp said:
You blaming government instead of the thieves who took/stole/lied to get the money?
No, and don't make stuff up. Obviously these people did something wrong. Laws were broken here. I don't even need to say it, but I expect the government to show some sign of intelligence when it distributes money. It's called accountablilty.

Mr.Conley said:
No, and don't make stuff up. Obviously these people did something wrong. Laws were broken here. I don't even need to say it, but I expect the government to show some sign of intelligence when it distributes money. It's called accountablilty.

I would theoretically agree with you, but as I recall, the MSM was all over the Fed. Gov't. to help these people as quickly as possible. Scathing criticisms, in fact.

Mr.Conley said:

You have ZERO grasp on what situations had to be dealt with.
Thousands and thousands of people dropped on your doorstep at once. They all have nothing and no ID. They are not even together as families or even neighbors. I want to see you dispense care and financial assistance to all of them fairly, accurately and as promptly as they want it. Get back with me when you're done and let me audit your work.

dilloduck said:
Thousands and thousands of people dropped on your doorstep at once. They all have nothing and no ID. They are not even together as families or even neighbors. I want to see you dispense care and financial assistance to all of them fairly, accurately and as promptly as they want it. Get back with me when you're done and let me audit your work.

HURRY UP MOFO. PEOPLE ARE STARVING AND DYING AND STEALING FROM EACH OTHER TO SURVIVE !!!!

It would be interesting to see these low lives broken down by race, location and sex.......Who wants to place money on the vast majority are black males from New Orleans and a very small percentage if any are white victims from Mississippi, either sex. We of course will never get this information a lot like the way race is rarely mentioned in crime reports on television or in newspaper.....wouldn't want to racial profile. 2 assholes robbed a mexican family in Houston last night of 3 dollars, they threw the kids out of their suburban as they carjacked it, a little baby girl tripped and was run over by these animals, she would have been 2 tomorrow....the sketches of the garbage appear to be those of black males, they never revealed that in the report.

The extremely loud whinning from the shit heads from New Orleans while their fellow jerks looted the city, shot at helicopters, trampled each other for a cookie was deafening........I don't remember hearing any of this from the truly devastated people of Mississippi. Those people lost everything, they were lucky to find some tiles from their kitchen and all I heard was them thanking God for their saved lives. Such an amazing contrast!

I find it also amazing that the federal government is being blamed once again for the actions of criminals that took advantage of the generosity of the United States taxpayers(then again I guess I don't), really Con-ley you need to get a grip.The end of our country is very near, obviously, if a soon to be graduate (with great honors?)from a prestigious East Coast University, can make such a clueless statement and can't spell her home state's name.....I am really scared now.:alco: :rolleyes: :eek2:

sitarro said:
It would be interesting to see these low lives broken down by race, location and sex.......Who wants to place money on the vast majority are black males from New Orleans and a very small percentage if any are white victims from Mississippi, either sex. We of course will never get this information a lot like the way race is rarely mentioned in crime reports on television or in newspaper.....wouldn't want to racial profile. 2 assholes robbed a mexican family in Houston last night of 3 dollars, they threw the kids out of their suburban as they carjacked it, a little baby girl tripped and was run over by these animals, she would have been 2 tomorrow....the sketches of the garbage appear to be those of black males, they never revealed that in the report.

The extremely loud whinning from the shit heads from New Orleans while their fellow jerks looted the city, shot at helicopters, trampled each other for a cookie was deafening........I don't remember hearing any of this from the truly devastated people of Mississippi. Those people lost everything, they were lucky to find some tiles from their kitchen and all I heard was them thanking God for their saved lives. Such an amazing contrast!

I find it also amazing that the federal government is being blamed once again for the actions of criminals that took advantage of the generosity of the United States taxpayers(then again I guess I don't), really Con-ley you need to get a grip.The end of our country is very near, obviously, if a soon to be graduate (with great honors?)from a prestigious East Coast University, can make such a clueless statement and can't spell her home state's name.....I am really scared now.:alco: :rolleyes: :eek2:

I owe you one. !!!!

dilloduck said:
Give me a 2.4 trillion dollar budget and about 2 million workers, then I'll get back to you.
dilloduck said:
HURRY UP MOFO. PEOPLE ARE STARVING AND DYING AND STEALING FROM EACH OTHER TO SURVIVE !!!!
Just waiting for the wire transfer.

dilloduck said:
TOO LITTLE TOO LATE----YOU LOSE !!!!!!!!!!
Still waiting...

sitarro said:
That's a terrible tragedy. I'm sorry to hear it. I hope the police apprehend those responsible. There are some terrible people in this world.
sitarro said:
Okay, what about the 95% of people in New Orleans who are good, decent, honest, and hardworking. Do they not count in your book?
sitarro said:
I find it also amazing that the federal government is being blamed once again for the actions of criminals that took advantage of the generosity of the United States taxpayers(then again I guess I don't)
You sure do seem to have a wild imagination. Who ever said that the government was responsible for these people stealing the money? Where do you get that stuff from? You sure do jump to some wild conclusions...
sitarro said:
.The end of our country is very near, obviously, if a soon to be graduate (with great honors?)from a prestigious East Coast University, can make such a clueless statement and can't spell her home state's name.....I am really scared now.
Because if you don't have anything to say, make fun of the dyslexic. That always works.

Mr.Conley said:
That's a terrible tragedy. I'm sorry to hear it. I hope the police apprehend those responsible. There are some terrible people in this world.

Yes there are and Houston has a bunch more since we opened our city to the wonderful people that escaped like rats from N.O., the crime and murder rate has jumped tremendously.

Mr.Conley said:
Okay, what about the 95% of people in New Orleans who are good, decent, honest, and hardworking. Do they not count in your book?

Sure they do, they aren't the problem except that they haven't learned a damn thing about what has been predicted for years. They live in a dream world and expect the Feds and insurance companies to just keep picking up the tab for their naive thinking.

Mr.Conley said:
You sure do seem to have a wild imagination. Who ever said that the government was responsible for these people stealing the money? Where do you get that stuff from? You sure do jump to some wild conclusions..

Your first post in this thread.

Mr.Conley said:
Because if you don't have anything to say, make fun of the dyslexic. That always works.

The same problem that President Bush is constantly being ridiculed for by the oh so tolerant progressive leftist. I apologize for what I didn't know about you.....I won't mention it again.

Mr.Conley said:
Give me a 2.4 trillion dollar budget and about 2 million workers, then I'll get back to you.

Just waiting for the wire transfer.

Still waiting...

And you really think that's how "simple" it was? You're a full blown idiot.
But please go on--pretend you have what you need, remember you workers are primarily untrained volunteers, the media is second guessing everything you do and every politician in America is trying to get votes by by pointing out somethig you missed.

Forum List

Back