Speaking of School I need some suggestions!

Trinity

VIP Member
Jun 16, 2004
My son has just entered the 3rd grade. He reads ok, however he is a lazy reader, and hates to do it. Any good suggestions for motivating him to read more, and learn to love it. I myself love to read and have always had my nose in a book, or reading on here.

I did pick up the hooked on phonics program at the goodwill for $10.00 in brand new condition! Has anyone used this? is it a good program? and does it work?

Any Suggestions would be great!

When my son asked me a question, I would suggest that WE look for the answer in a book instead of telling him the answer (No--not everytime).

just a thought

Well, many moons ago (and I mean MANY) when I was a youngun, my parents got me a library card, took me there a few times and let me pick out books to read (subject to their approval of course) and eventually let me go on my own.

For my kids, I would take them to bookstores and let them pick out a book or two to read, something THEY were interested in and that wasn't rated "X" or "R". They all love to read now, though their interests were and are far from mine.

dilloduck said:
When my son asked me a question, I would suggest that WE look for the answer in a book instead of telling him the answer (No--not everytime).

just a thought

:clap:

If he sees you reading, he will lean toward it even if you don't think so now. Hooked on phonics will teach him techniques, but won't instill interest that isn't there. I used to make my kids show & tell an encyclopieda article a day (back before Al Gore invented the internet) as an incentive for TV time.

Also, remember, using a computer exercises the reading skills, get him an id on the board (J/K).

What are his hobbies? Who are his heroes?

Reading can be more popular if the subject is about what the child already loves or needs to know about.

A sports nut? How about a biography of a favorite player or strategy of the game.

A chef? A cookbook.

Animal lover? James Herriot, Black Beauty, My friend Flicka, etc.

and don't forget age appropriate magazines. Just the right amount of reading to keep their interest. and you and he can read together.

My son likes National Geographic kids, Nick Jr., Winnie the Poo, Turtle, etc. He's much younger (3.5yrs) but there has to be more grown up mags. out there.

let us know...I'll soon be facing the same problem as my son loves to do more than read.

Have to agreee with MOI. I read to my kids from the time they were 6 months. BUT When my oldest was in grade school his teacher was PLEASED he was reading "Garfield" books. I was quite surprised. He said as long as the kid was reading, the rest would follow. (**) He also said to have Aaron read aloud. This takes different skills than reading silently. So, at night we'd lay in bed, kids reading, all of us laughing. WONDERFUL memories.

(**) Eventually, Aaron did high school home study....ALOT of reading. We did that together, too. Opened up many doors for conversations.

Definitely get him a couple of books on subjects that interest him.

And I will second what was said about reading yourself. I read around the house all the time. This summer, on one of our beautiful days my daughter (starting 5th grade!) said to her grandmother that it would be a great day to go to the lake - so she could lay out and read all day! She was not like that two years ago when my wife and I got married!

pegwinn said:
If he sees you reading, he will lean toward it even if you don't think so now. Hooked on phonics will teach him techniques, but won't instill interest that isn't there. I used to make my kids show & tell an encyclopieda article a day (back before Al Gore invented the internet) as an incentive for TV time.

Also, remember, using a computer exercises the reading skills, get him an id on the board (J/K).

Agreed. Hooked on phonics works but using what is learned is a must. Our 4 year old is reading fairly well but mom and dad read a lot and he thinks thats what you do for entertainment.

My fasvorite as a kid and my kids' was the magazine Higlights. You see them all the time in the Dr.'s office. Short interesting articles and cool things to do.

New Topics

Forum List

Back