Speaking in Tongues- Just Earthly foreign languages, best interpreted

JD_2B

Little Vixen
Sep 23, 2009
Nunya, Wudjathink
Speaking in tongues, just means that the person doing the teaching of the bible is just someone who does not speak the local language. Someone who understands the foreigner's language must translate. Speaking in tongues does not mean that someone is saying some nonsensical conjecture like "OOga baba lakata nobody but god can understand me bahaya doraba foolooto papaya".. That is not what it means to speak in tongues, although it may as well SOUND any way close to that, as long as a person who understands the foreign language can translate for the group listening.

Tongues is generally used to mean "word" or "words" aka "languages", and less commonly used literally, to just mean the part of the mouth with tastebunds on it that you use to speak with.

Psalm 12:3-5 (New International Version)

3 May the LORD cut off all flattering lips
and every boastful tongue

4 that says, "We will triumph with our tongues;
we own our lips [a] —who is our master?"

5 "Because of the oppression of the weak
and the groaning of the needy,
I will now arise," says the LORD.
"I will protect them from those who malign them."

Psalm 31:20
In the shelter of your presence you hide them from the intrigues of men; in your dwelling you keep them safe from accusing tongues.

Psalm 57:4
I am in the midst of lions; I lie among ravenous beasts— men whose teeth are spears and arrows, whose tongues are sharp swords.

Psalm 73:9
Their mouths lay claim to heaven, and their tongues take possession of the earth.

Psalm 78:36
But then they would flatter him with their mouths, lying to him with their tongues;

Psalm 109:2
for wicked and deceitful men have opened their mouths against me; they have spoken against me with lying tongues.

Psalm 120:2
Save me, O LORD, from lying lips and from deceitful tongues.

Psalm 126:2
Our mouths were filled with laughter, our tongues with songs of joy. Then it was said among the nations, "The LORD has done great things for them."

Isaiah 5:24
Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the LORD Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel.

Isaiah 28:11
Very well then, with foreign lips and strange tongues God will speak to this people,

Isaiah 66:18
"And I, because of their actions and their imaginations, am about to come and gather all nations and tongues, and they will come and see my glory.

Jeremiah 9:5
Friend deceives friend, and no one speaks the truth. They have taught their tongues to lie; they weary themselves with sinning.

Jeremiah 18:18
They said, "Come, let's make plans against Jeremiah; for the teaching of the law by the priest will not be lost, nor will counsel from the wise, nor the word from the prophets. So come, let's attack him with our tongues and pay no attention to anything he says."

Jeremiah 23:31
Yes," declares the LORD, "I am against the prophets who wag their own tongues and yet declare, 'The LORD declares.'

Micah 6:12
Her rich men are violent; her people are liars and their tongues speak deceitfully.

1When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. 2Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. 4All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues[a] as the Spirit enabled them.

5Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. 6When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard them speaking in his own language. 7Utterly amazed, they asked: "Are not all these men who are speaking Galileans? 8Then how is it that each of us hears them in his own native language?

13Some, however, made fun of them and said, "They have had too much wine."

Acts 10:44While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. 45The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on the Gentiles. 46For they heard them speaking in tongues(*) and praising God.
(*) or other languages
Acts 10 - Passage*Lookup - New International Version - BibleGateway.com

Going to foreign nations to teach:
Acts 19:4Paul said, "John's baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus." 5On hearing this, they were baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus. 6When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues[c] and prophesied. 7There were about twelve men in all.
[c]Or other languages

1 Corinthians 12:9-11 (New International Version)
Gifts of God
9to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues,[a] and to still another the interpretation of tongues.* 11All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines. *Or languages; also in verse 28

1 Corinthians 14:5
I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. He who prophesies is greater than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may be edified.

1 Corinthians 14:21
In the Law it is written: "Through men of strange tongues and through the lips of foreigners I will speak to this people, but even then they will not listen to me," says the Lord.

27If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. 28If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and God.

10Undoubtedly there are all sorts of languages in the world, yet none of them is without meaning. 11If then I do not grasp the meaning of what someone is saying, I am a foreigner to the speaker, and he is a foreigner to me. 12So it is with you. Since you are eager to have spiritual gifts, try to excel in gifts that build up the church.

Last edited:
Speaking in Tongues- Just Earthly foreign languages, best interpreted

But speaking without tongues is even harder.

The "gift of tongues" as demonstrated in Acts 2 is far more than a missionary tool, although it can certainly be part of the gift.

I would suspect that the gift of tongues applies not only to modern languages but all languages that ever existed. With that gift we could translate countless currently undecipherable languages.

Shame we dont use it to its full extent.

Avatar, you caught my attention. I agree with the concept includes "all languages that ever existed." Does the gift of tongues, in your personal opinion, ever include more roles than that of missionary work? I personally believe in a more inclusive role for the gift, but that is only me. I speak for no organization.

The "gift of tongues" as demonstrated in Acts 2 is far more than a missionary tool, although it can certainly be part of the gift.

Oh yes- that is included, although not properly versed, in my OP. It is situated just after Micah.

Acts 2:1When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. 2Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. 4All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues[a] as the Spirit enabled them.

5Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. 6When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard them speaking in his own language. 7Utterly amazed, they asked: "Are not all these men who are speaking Galileans? 8Then how is it that each of us hears them in his own native language?

I agree- Just as God struck down the tower of Babel, and scattered us all, when we do convene together to worship, He can give us the gift of understanding another foreign language, so as to be capable of interpreting prophesy, and understanding new enlightenment. I don't think that this "Gift" is given as if God makes us just learn a language or speak it, without actually learning it or it being native to the speaker or interpreter. The gift involved is NOT the ability to utter and decipher the word of God to his people, but to HAVE people available who CAN do this for people of other languages..

Take for example, this part of Acts 2

5Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. 6When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard them speaking in his own language. 7Utterly amazed, they asked: "Are not all these men who are speaking Galileans? 8Then how is it that each of us hears them in his own native language? 9Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome 11 (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs-we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!" 12Amazed and perplexed, they asked one another, "What does this mean?"

Acts 1:15In those days Peter stood up among the believers[c] (a group numbering about a hundred and twenty) 16and said, "Brothers, the Scripture had to be fulfilled which the Holy Spirit spoke long ago through the mouth of David concerning Judas, who served as guide for those who arrested Jesus— 17he was one of our number and shared in this ministry."

Acts1:2Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting.

16No, this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:
17" 'In the last days, God says,
I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy,

your young men will see visions,
your old men will dream dreams.
18Even on my servants, both men and women,
I will pour out my Spirit in those days,
and they will prophesy.

I say, this was a large group of people were from all over, and already knew the language.

They were uplifted in their hearts (filled by the holy spirit it says) to do God's work.. and they did just that. They taught others what the apostles had taught them.

Avatar, you caught my attention. I agree with the concept includes "all languages that ever existed." Does the gift of tongues, in your personal opinion, ever include more roles than that of missionary work? I personally believe in a more inclusive role for the gift, but that is only me. I speak for no organization.

I suppose that depends on how missionary work is defined. However, I think it does. I havent thought about it much though. It's not a gift i focus on much.

Speaking in tongues, just means that the person doing the teaching of the bible is just someone who does not speak the local language. Someone who understands the foreigner's language must translate. Speaking in tongues does not mean that someone is saying some nonsensical conjecture like "OOga baba lakata nobody but god can understand me bahaya doraba foolooto papaya".. That is not what it means to speak in tongues, although it may as well SOUND any way close to that, as long as a person who understands the foreign language can translate for the group listening.

Tongues is generally used to mean "word" or "words" aka "languages", and less commonly used literally, to just mean the part of the mouth with tastebunds on it that you use to speak with.

In the shelter of your presence you hide them from the intrigues of men; in your dwelling you keep them safe from accusing tongues.

I am in the midst of lions; I lie among ravenous beasts— men whose teeth are spears and arrows, whose tongues are sharp swords.

Their mouths lay claim to heaven, and their tongues take possession of the earth.

But then they would flatter him with their mouths, lying to him with their tongues;

for wicked and deceitful men have opened their mouths against me; they have spoken against me with lying tongues.

Our mouths were filled with laughter, our tongues with songs of joy. Then it was said among the nations, "The LORD has done great things for them."

Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the LORD Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel.

Very well then, with foreign lips and strange tongues God will speak to this people,

"And I, because of their actions and their imaginations, am about to come and gather all nations and tongues, and they will come and see my glory.

Friend deceives friend, and no one speaks the truth. They have taught their tongues to lie; they weary themselves with sinning.

They said, "Come, let's make plans against Jeremiah; for the teaching of the law by the priest will not be lost, nor will counsel from the wise, nor the word from the prophets. So come, let's attack him with our tongues and pay no attention to anything he says."

Yes," declares the LORD, "I am against the prophets who wag their own tongues and yet declare, 'The LORD declares.'

Her rich men are violent; her people are liars and their tongues speak deceitfully.

1When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. 2Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. 4All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues[a] as the Spirit enabled them.

Acts 10:44While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. 45The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on the Gentiles. 46For they heard them speaking in tongues(*) and praising God.
(*) or other languages

Acts 19:4Paul said, "John's baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus." 5On hearing this, they were baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus. 6When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues[c] and prophesied. 7There were about twelve men in all.
[c]Or other languages

Gifts of God
9to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues,[a] and to still another the interpretation of tongues.* 11All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines. *Or languages; also in verse 28

I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. He who prophesies is greater than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may be edified.

In the Law it is written: "Through men of strange tongues and through the lips of foreigners I will speak to this people, but even then they will not listen to me," says the Lord.

27If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. 28If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and God.

10Undoubtedly there are all sorts of languages in the world, yet none of them is without meaning. 11If then I do not grasp the meaning of what someone is saying, I am a foreigner to the speaker, and he is a foreigner to me. 12So it is with you. Since you are eager to have spiritual gifts, try to excel in gifts that build up the church.

As I have read your posts, I have noticed that you basically do a "word search" of a term, and then post the scriptures. It might be a good thing to examine some of those scriptures and see what they really say.

I am looking at the one on the trinity, where there was not a "word search" available, and you had to make comments.

I am not trying to put you down, But I do believe you are expressing a lot of opinion rather than knowledge on these subjects.

Word searches are good if you take a real look at thw verses that come up. A word search is about what a word means. It can be about a Greek word, or a Hebrew word, or even about how an English word is being used.

On tongues, there are two kinds. There is "other tongues," and there is "unknown tongues." Have you taken a look at those two? There is also the use of those that is different. There are strict rules on the use of unknown tongues, but on "other tongues," that is a work of the Holy Spirit is a very unique way.

Just thought I would point out that that it takes far more than a word search to explain a concept or a doctrine.

(*) or other languages

[c]Or other languages

Gifts of God

As I have read your posts, I have noticed that you basically do a "word search" of a term, and then post the scriptures. It might be a good thing to examine some of those scriptures and see what they really say.

I am looking at the one on the trinity, where there was not a "word search" available, and you had to make comments.

Yes because there is no trinity. If there was, then Jesus would not have also said that being married turns two people into one union. The two people are still literally two different people, but Jesus said that they are no longer separate but one. This was his way of just illustrating the fact that "oneness" is a union of fidelity, and agreement. It is a mental and emotional pact, not a physical sharing of space or body or memory.

Also, in my keyword searches, I DO the research. I read the whole chapter before posting the verses. It takes me a long time before pasting the specific verses in here. I simply do not want to make people read the whole chapter. You need to read the chapters, too..

I am not trying to put you down, But I do believe you are expressing a lot of opinion rather than knowledge on these subjects.

I am posting scripture. Take it or leave it. The scripture speaks for itself. My "add ins" are only a few words, never paragraphs long, like those who like to describe something that is non-existent in the bible do..

Word searches are good if you take a real look at thw verses that come up. A word search is about what a word means. It can be about a Greek word, or a Hebrew word, or even about how an English word is being used.

Now you are putting me down, because YOU did not take the time to read the chapters, or study the bible in depth. You don't have to agree with scripture, but if you want to be one with God, you should at least try to study them fully.

On tongues, there are two kinds. There is "other tongues," and there is "unknown tongues." Have you taken a look at those two? There is also the use of those that is different. There are strict rules on the use of unknown tongues, but on "other tongues," that is a work of the Holy Spirit is a very unique way.

Quote the verses that say this, please.

Just thought I would point out that that it takes far more than a word search to explain a concept or a doctrine.

And you put me down and spent, how many paragraphs and NO scripture, to say it.

Mission failure. I study the word of God, not the gospel according to Smart33.

Speaking in tongues is one of the lesser gifts from God. The gift of tongues is not even mentioned among the gifts of the Spirit in the latter books of the New Testament.

:lol:

Anyone remember the study that showed the speech center of the brain is totally inactive when you idiots starts sputtering random sounds ?

Not surprising you people think your idiocy is a gift from God. After all, it's been repeatedly shown that retarded people are more religious than people with a clue.

☭proletarian☭;1887824 said:
:lol:

Anyone remember the study that showed the speech center of the brain is totally inactive when you idiots starts sputtering random sounds ?

Not surprising you people think your idiocy is a gift from God. After all, it's been repeatedly shown that retarded people are more religious than people with a clue.

Obviously, you didnt read any of the thread.

(*) or other languages

[c]Or other languages

Gifts of God

Yes because there is no trinity. If there was, then Jesus would not have also said that being married turns two people into one union. The two people are still literally two different people, but Jesus said that they are no longer separate but one. This was his way of just illustrating the fact that "oneness" is a union of fidelity, and agreement. It is a mental and emotional pact, not a physical sharing of space or body or memory.

Also, in my keyword searches, I DO the research. I read the whole chapter before posting the verses. It takes me a long time before pasting the specific verses in here. I simply do not want to make people read the whole chapter. You need to read the chapters, too..

I am posting scripture. Take it or leave it. The scripture speaks for itself. My "add ins" are only a few words, never paragraphs long, like those who like to describe something that is non-existent in the bible do..

Now you are putting me down, because YOU did not take the time to read the chapters, or study the bible in depth. You don't have to agree with scripture, but if you want to be one with God, you should at least try to study them fully.

Quote the verses that say this, please.

And you put me down and spent, how many paragraphs and NO scripture, to say it.

Mission failure. I study the word of God, not the gospel according to Smart33.

It is a good thing that you don't take my word as The Word. I do not use a lot of scripture quotes because all the anti-Christians do is twist them. I do post the Word, though. It is clear, and according to God's interpretation.

I will go back to your statements and the scriptures you posted and respond because I believe you are sincere in attempting to say what the scriptures say.

That will take me a little while, however I do home to finish it today.

Hold it--I am confused

When a believer "speak in tongues", what does a believr actually do??

Who is the believer talking to??

Why is it a gift different from translation, or is it another one of those confusing biblical allegories that refers to translating the bible into a foriegn language?

Help out this ignorant non-believers. What is so great about "speaking in tongues" except to freak me out??

Scooba Dooba Doo!! That is my "typing in tongues" demonstration!!

I am using the NASV here:

First, I would like to point out that there are those who spoke in other tongues, (languages of other nations, etc). These people spoke to specific people who understood, as in Acts 2. The people all heard the Gospel in their own language. In this case, I would have to say that the actual words heard were words spoken by the Holy Spirit Himself. Why? Because Peter was speaking and I doubt he spoke in all the languages represented there (Acts 10:44). As he spoke the word was heard in their own language. This kind of "speaking in tongues" id a gift of the Holy Spirit.

Then there are those times when men were speaking to God in tongues. (I Cor. 14) These verses do not say “other tongues”. Sometimes the word, “unknown” tongues is inserted. This is reflected in I Cor. 14:2 “For one who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God; for no one understands, but in his spirit he speaks mysteries

Soeaking in Tongues is addressed in I Cor. 14 with very specific instructions. Many, even most churches who speak in tongues do not follow these instructions.

The purpose for any speaking in tongues is “edification”. In the case of other languages we can see that clearly that the people can be edified because they understand what is being said. However, In the case here of the “unknown” tongues, the person who is speaking is the one edified, or if an interpretation is given, then the church can be edified. I Cor. 14:4 “One who speaks in a tongue edifies himself; but one who prophesies edifies the church.”

Now, the difference as pointed out in the scriptures themselves is that in Acts 2, people heard in their own tongue. In I Cor. 14, the person was speaking to God and no one understood what was being said. It was not a language of man. Other verses in I Cor. 14 are :

Cor. 14: 2 “For one who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God; for no one understands, but in his spirit he speaks mysteries.

3 But one who prophesies speaks to men for edification and exhortation and consolation. (Note: These prophesies are not spoken in tongues )

4 One who speaks in a tongue edifies himself; but one who prophesies edifies the church.

5 Now I wish that you all spoke in tongues, but even more that you would prophesy; and greater is one who prophesies than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may receive edifying.

6 But now, brethren, if I come to you speaking in tongues, what will I profit you unless I speak to you either by way of revelation or of knowledge or of prophecy or of teaching?

7 Yet even lifeless things, either flute or harp, in producing a sound, if they do not produce a distinction in the tones, how will it be known what is played on the flute or on the harp?

8 For if the bugle produces an indistinct sound, who will prepare himself for battle?

9 So also you, unless you utter by the tongue speech that is clear, how will it be known what is spoken? For you will be speaking into the air.

10 There are, perhaps, a great many kinds of languages in the world, and no kind is without meaning.

11 If then I do not know the meaning of the language, I will be to the one who speaks a barbarian, and the one who speaks will be a barbarian to me.

12 So also you, since you are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek to abound for the edification of the church.

13 Therefore let one who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret.

14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. (Note: This would be an “unknown” tongue)

15 What is the outcome then? I will pray with the spirit and I will pray with the mind also; I will sing with the spirit and I will sing with the mind also.
16 Otherwise if you bless in the spirit only, how will the one who fills the place of the ungifted say the "Amen" at your giving of thanks, since he does not know what you are saying?

For you are giving thanks well enough, but the other person is not edified.

18 I thank God, I speak in tongues more than you all;
19 however, in the church I desire to speak five words with my mind so that I may instruct others also, rather than ten thousand words in a tongue.
Instruction for the Church”

(*) or other languages

[c]Or other languages

Gifts of God

Summary: There are two cases of speaking in tongues. One is in other known languages, the other is in an unknown tongue. When tongues is used according to the instructions, edification takes place.

As you mentioned, the term "tongue" also applies to attidude of speach, the actual tongue, and the mean or evil use of the tongue, etc.

The only one you missed was the "unknown tongues."

Now, I'd like to also say that I do not have the gift of tongues. I believe that gift does exist, and is even exercised properly from time to time. Most Baptists don't agree with me on that.

When I was in the military, one night I really had a burden to pray about someone or something (I cannot remember the reason now). The problem, I just did not know what to pray. I asked the Holy Spirit to "search my heart" and dig deep into what my burden is and present it in the hearing of God. I really needed resolution in that matter. As I lay there, alone in my room, I began to silently pray. The strange thing was that I had no idea what I was saying. In that moment, the Holy Spirit was doing as I asked, and taking my burden to God. The result was an awesome peace, and satisfaction. Personal Edification was the result of that experience. A burden was lifted, with peace that God had heard and listened and answered the prayer. I was spiritually lifted, and since then I have shared it with others. I even share it with my fellow Baptists.

I believe that was a speaking in "unknown tongues" experience. It was an awesome experience. I learned something about prayer that day that changed my life forever. My prayer life is not the same. However, I have never had that specific experience again.

Forum List

Back