Speak English please

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
In the latest move to protect illegal immigrants who speak only Spanish, a rural New York town will be sued by a taxpayer-subsidized civil rights group if it doesn’t rescind a new law requiring that all official government business be conducted in English.

The group asserts that the new rule will exclude non English speakers from accessing vital services such as government-funded health services or police protection.

The town is located east of Saratoga Springs and has about 2,000 residents. Last month the Board of Supervisors voted 3-1 to pass the English only law, which the ACLU claims is not enforceable and unconstitutional at both the state and federal level. If it is not immediately rescinded, the Justice Department will be contacted about the Civil Rights Act violations, the ACLU threat says.

Town Threatened Over "Anti-Immigrant" English Only Law | Judicial Watch

Why can't we make English our national language? Jesus Christ. It's the official language of Zimbambwe. :cuckoo:

'Why can't we make English our national language? Jesus Christ. It's the official language of Zimbambwe.'

28 states have made english their official language. CA being among them. What has it done? Nothing! I'm sure it serves some purpose. I believe that it is taken for granted that when in the USA you better learn english if you want to progress. Very few people get ahead who remain stuck in their native tongue and don't bother to learn english when living in the USA.

English is our official language. It was decided by our forefathers long ago. Dutch was a close second. I don't think Spanish was even considered.

Why can't we make English our national language? Jesus Christ. It's the official language of Zimbambwe. :cuckoo:

If it's okay for Zimbabwe then it must be okay for us! :eusa_eh:

It's the same reason we've never had a national language. America is just not just one language, one culture. We are a melting pot, or as I like to say, a salad bowl. There are many different ingredients to the salad that make it taste delicious and make it a salad. No pieces are greater than the rest, and all contribute to making the salad better.

States like California, Arizona and Texas can just keep on adding to their bankrupt budgets and pathetic education systems by wasting time trying to teach Illegal immigrants English by hiring spanish speaking Teachers. Meanwhile, American children continue to suffer from overcrowded classrooms and lack of progress in regards to the education that they deserve as legal citizens. ~BH

It's the same reason we've never had a national language. America is just not just one language, one culture. We are a melting pot, or as I like to say, a salad bowl. There are many different ingredients to the salad that make it taste delicious and make it a salad. No pieces are greater than the rest, and all contribute to making the salad better.

What a load of feel good bullshit Dog. ~BH

States like California, Arizona and Texas can just keep on adding to their bankrupt budgets and pathetic education systems by wasting time trying to teach Illegal immigrants English by hiring spanish speaking Teachers. Meanwhile, American children continue to suffer from overcrowded classrooms and lack of progress in regards to the education that they deserve as legal citizens. ~BH

So you don't believe in ESL programs for legal american citizens who come to this country?

I don't get quite that logic. "They don't want to learn our language!" "Stop giving them funding to learn our language!"

Also, it's due to overcrowding classrooms because of budget cuts. If you recall, certain parties are not fans of the education system.

Having multiple languages divides a culture, it doesn't bring it together.

So you don't believe in ESL programs for legal american citizens who come to this country?

I don't get quite that logic. "They don't want to learn our language!" "Stop giving them funding to learn our language!"

Also, it's due to overcrowding classrooms because of budget cuts. If you recall, certain parties are not fans of the education system.

ESL is a free program offered in most libraries...my next door neighbor is a certified ESL teacher and teaches classes at our public library for free.

Children learn better in an environment where they are immersed in the language. Yeah, it's hard at first but they learn the language faster and then they catch up and sometimes even surpass the rest of the students. Keeping them separated by language is stupid.

ESL in our public schools is just another way to make those kids "separate" from the rest so that they will NEVER learn to be American.

Now for legal immigrants of high school age, I might agree that a separate language program should be offered. The older you get, the harder it is to learn another language but I would lean heavily on immersing them in the other subjects with the other kids and just having ESL as an extra class.

Nope, not public funded. We should spend that money on teaching legal citizens other Languages. Let those who come here purchase Rosetta Stone ect and enjoy the fruits of America.

Not hard to understand really. It's not our job to teach them. Don't get me wrong though, I have no problem with Legal immigration, though I would change many things like health screening and educational requirments.

Great, Certain parties also have lunch together every day. America needs a new Party. A Party for the People. ~BH

The older you get, the harder it is to learn another language

And that's why it's important to have ESL programs, especially when they're younger. Why wait until they are older and have the obstacle of learning the language that much more difficult? :eusa_eh:

Complete opposite, but thanks for playing.

Multiple cultures make a nation greater, not worse. Why? Do you want to go back to the culture where's just one religion with a great amount of people and they all believe the same thing? :cuckoo:

What a load of feel good bullshit Dog. ~BH

Feel free to refute what I said with actual evidence, not just emotion.

Ok, Your way of thinking will lead to The Government and Businesses to print every fucking form in the Nation in 50 different languages. Is that too fucking hard to understand? Answer = We can't afford such a suicidal policy. Learn fucking English, or have a hard time driving, paying your taxes and ordering off a fucking menu bro. You're not this stupid, wise up. ~BH

] Ok, Your way of thinking will lead to The Government and Businesses to print every fucking form in the Nation in 50 different languages[/B]. Is that too fucking hard to understand? Answer = We can't afford such a suicidal policy. Learn fucking English, or have a hard time driving, paying your taxes and ordering off a fucking menu bro. You're not this stupid, wise up. ~BH

We have this great thing called the internet now, it lets you have the ability to put documents online in different languages. You might have heard of it.

Also, who said anything about fifty different languages? Those are your imaginary numbers, not mine.

The older you get, the harder it is to learn another language

And that's why it's important to have ESL programs, especially when they're younger. Why wait until they are older and have the obstacle of learning the language that much more difficult? :eusa_eh:

Apparently you missed the part about immersion. Immersion in the language is the BEST way to learn it. That's why every year thousands of Japanese students come to this country and stay with American families in an English immersion program, sometimes paid for by their government. I know this, I help find the American families, I help teach their classes.

ESL classes for elementary students is a waste of time and money, they will learn faster if they are immersed in the class with the rest of the students. It will be harder and harder to learn the language as they get older so immerse them and let them learn it while they are young.

] Ok, Your way of thinking will lead to The Government and Businesses to print every fucking form in the Nation in 50 different languages[/B]. Is that too fucking hard to understand? Answer = We can't afford such a suicidal policy. Learn fucking English, or have a hard time driving, paying your taxes and ordering off a fucking menu bro. You're not this stupid, wise up. ~BH

We have this great thing called the internet now, it lets you have the ability to put documents online in different languages. You might have heard of it.

Also, who said anything about fifty different languages? Those are your imaginary numbers, not mine.

Have you checked the sign at your local hospital? They have a sign with at least 50 different lines in 50 different languages saying how they will provide interpreters. It's stupid. When I was in Mexico, I didn't expect them to provide me services in English ditto for when I was in Japan. In fact, in Mexico I got to sit though a wonderful lecture from a woman that was so upset that so many Americans came to her country and didn't speak the language. I think the reverse is only fair, don't you? Oh, and yeah, the lecture was in Spanish, the only English word she spoke was "shit" and she used it quite often.

Forum List

Back