Spanking in Looney Land

He's a "lawmaker." He made the mess. Now he can live with the consequences. So can the child.

The Fresno Bee additionally reports, “Arambula thanked his daughter’s teacher, Fresno police and Child Protective Services for ‘doing their jobs’ and ‘following the process.’” Family psychologist Barbara Greenberg tells Yahoo Lifestyle that the incident was “handled beautifully.”

“Anything that hurts a child physically and emotionally, in my opinion, is abuse and should be reported,” Greenberg says. “Too often kids go to school looking for help and they’re not taken seriously. The school took this very seriously, as they should, and they did what they were supposed to do.”

As for the assemblyman’s actions, however, Greenberg says, “Nothing good comes from [spanking].”

“There are much, much better ways to teach your children, and losing control and putting your hands on a child, there’s nothing good that comes from it,” she says. “You don’t create kids with self-esteem and with the ability to handle frustration by spanking them.”

Arambula told the publication that he has no plans to resign. If convicted, the assemblyman could face up to six months in jail and possible probation.

Read more from Yahoo Lifestyle:

Follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter for nonstop inspiration delivered fresh to your feed, every day.

View Reactions (4023)
Sign in to post a message.
What to Read Next

The only good thing is that he is a DEMOCRAT!
Apparently he thanked the state for intervening and for his 6 month prison sentence.

Yep, he's a Dim.

Then again, it is free gay sex for 6 months, so maybe this was all planned.

A California man was arrested and faces up to 6 months in jail for doing the unthinkable. He spanked his 7 year old daughter on the bottom for being unruly.

The same people and "thinkers" who find God to be a myth or a nuisance.

Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far away. --- Proverbs 22:15

A rod and a reprimand impart wisdom, but a child left undisciplined disgraces its mother. --- Proverbs 29:15

Discipline your children, and they will give you peace; they will bring you the delights you desire. -- Proverbs 29:17

I wonder what the child was whupped with, her dad's hand or something like a wooden spoon which is what was used on me. The write up does not say.

God bless you and the child always!!!

Holly

P.S. To me, grounding is the way to go because it can go on for as long as it needs to and so many privileges can be taken from a kid: TV, radio, video games, phones, time with friends, social gatherings like parties and concerts, driving. One thing thought that I have never understood though are those who send their kids to bed without dinner for a punishment if that ever really has happened because in reality that is how it already is for too many kids when they haven't done a thing to deserve it.

Forum List

Back