Spam is 82 today

We used to go on canoe trips and carried a portable grill and grilled steaks in the middle of nowhere. Carried them in an ice chest that used frozen gallon water jugs. When it melted we had ice water.

Did the same.
We ate like kings on our two day yak and canoe trips!!! But when it came down to what you could carry on your back the parameters changed.

I hate the stuff. We had it sliced and fried nice and black every Wednesday for supper when I was a kid. Sometimes to be gourmet about it, Mom would brush some brown sugar and mustard over the top. Ugh. I'm really making a face right now and I can't help it.

When I think of Spam, I think of bomb shelter food. After The Day After, the radio station did a hilarious imitation of a Connecticut diva whining about the Spam as the family sat in the bomb shelter after a nuclear shelling. LOL

Close....I think of it as survival food.
As in I'm in the woods hunting or fishing for a few days and it doesnt need refrigeration.
Would I prefer a Prime dry aged ribeye? Of course,but that isnt an option when hitting the boonies.
No, but peanut butter is. And jerky.
I gotta stay out of this thread. My face is all scrunching up again.

I love my homemade jerky!!!
But ya need something else on a long trip.
You can buy unwashed eggs that will hold up for several days without refrigeration.
We'd bring those and rehydrate some beef jerky and make omelets with onions and bell peppers.
They say you can use washed eggs covered in petroleum jelly but I've never tried it.

I used to take cans of the low sodium spam on backpacking trips to supplement freeze dried meals. I hadn't had it in years, but tried it again not too long ago. Again, the low sodium variety, but I couldn't eat it as that even tasted way to salty to me.
Oww....
I've Got A Real Big Problem With Salt These Days
(Not For Medical Orders, Although There Are)
I Just Can't Hardly Stand Saltiness Anymore
Rubs That Call For A Cup Of Salt
Might Only Get A Couple Table Spoons

So The Recipes I See
Say Bologna Can Be Substituted
So Last Night, I Micro'd Some Ramen Noodles
Fried Some Bologna & A Pineapple Fruit Cup
Doctored The Noodles With Parsley And Spices
Tossed Everything Together With A Dash Of Soy

It Wasn't Bad
I May Have Another As A Late Snack Tonite

I hate the stuff. We had it sliced and fried nice and black every Wednesday for supper when I was a kid. Sometimes to be gourmet about it, Mom would brush some brown sugar and mustard over the top. Ugh. I'm really making a face right now and I can't help it.

When I think of Spam, I think of bomb shelter food. After The Day After, the radio station did a hilarious imitation of a Connecticut diva whining about the Spam as the family sat in the bomb shelter after a nuclear shelling. LOL
Velveeta is my childhood bane, can't stand that crap 50 years later........... What was worse was broiled Spam topped with Velveeta...... Eeewwww.......

Forum List

Back