Space Shuttle Crash = IRaq War Casualties...

insein

Apr 10, 2004
Philadelphia, Amazing huh...
http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2004/apr/HQ_n04059_columbia_dover.txt

April 23, 2004
Bob Jacobs
Headquarters, Washington
(Phone: 202/358-1600)

NOTE TO EDITORS: n04-059

COLUMBIA CREW MISTAKENLY IDENTIFIED AS IRAQI WAR CASUALTIES

Many news organizations across the country are mistakenly identifying the flag-draped caskets of the
Space Shuttle Columbia's crew as those of war casualties from Iraq.

Editors are being asked to confirm that the images used in news reports are in fact those of
American casualties and not those of the NASA astronauts who were killed Feb.1, 2003, in the
Columbia tragedy.

An initial review of the images featured on the Internet site www.thememoryhole.org shows that more
than 18 rows of images from Dover Air Force Base in Delaware are actually photographs of honors
rendered to Columbia's seven astronauts.

News organizations across the world have been publishing and distributing images featured on the web
site.

-end-

Interesting. While undoubtedly soldiers are dying and being brought home in caskets. The picture that has been shown over the last few days that has roused up such sentiment is actually the NASA crew members after the Columbia crash.

Originally posted by nycflasher
Now how the Hell does that happen?
Does no one check their sources anymore?

Sadly no. This is really pathetic for the media. They need to clean house and get real reporters back instead of headline grabbers.

Go read some of Bill O'Reilly's recent columns. He's taking a stance that journalists should be held responsible for this kind of stuff. Basically, if Howards Stern can be fined for indecency, he thinks the NYT should be fined for lying, such as when they claimed O'Reilly lied about his hometown and never even bothered to post a correction after he produced a deed, in his father's name, to his old house...right where he said it was.

Originally posted by Hobbit
Go read some of Bill O'Reilly's recent columns. He's taking a stance that journalists should be held responsible for this kind of stuff. Basically, if Howards Stern can be fined for indecency, he thinks the NYT should be fined for lying, such as when they claimed O'Reilly lied about his hometown and never even bothered to post a correction after he produced a deed, in his father's name, to his old house...right where he said it was.

I think Oreilly can gain support on that. These reporters are kids that slanderize other people but have no retribution handed to them.

Originally posted by insein
I think Oreilly can gain support on that. These reporters are kids that slanderize other people but have no retribution handed to them.

slanderize?
I think you mean slander.;)

First off, Bill O'Reilly absolutely lied about his upbringing. He lied about where he grew up, he grew up in the affluent New York suburb of Westbury, but claimed he grew up in blue collar Levittown. He claimed he grew up with nothing, but in fact, he grew up in a comfortable upper-middle class home. He lied.

As for this story, if you have two pictures of flag draped coffins it could be difficult to tell them apart. I can understand the mistake. Bill O'Reilly should shut his pie-hole and stop trying to sell books and get ratings by using tragedy. I'm sure whatever papers used the wrong photos ran retractions somewhere.

acludem

Originally posted by acludem
First off, Bill O'Reilly absolutely lied about his upbringing. He lied about where he grew up, he grew up in the affluent New York suburb of Westbury, but claimed he grew up in blue collar Levittown. He claimed he grew up with nothing, but in fact, he grew up in a comfortable upper-middle class home. He lied.

As for this story, if you have two pictures of flag draped coffins it could be difficult to tell them apart. I can understand the mistake. Bill O'Reilly should shut his pie-hole and stop trying to sell books and get ratings by using tragedy. I'm sure whatever papers used the wrong photos ran retractions somewhere.

acludem

Yes well the NY times is going to have to start adding a whole section just for retractions.

Originally posted by acludem

acludem

You know, despite not being a big fan of OReilly. I cant figure why on earth people would be trying to claim that they know how he grew up better than he did. Its beyond me.

Oh, as for the slander. In print its libel.

Forum List

Back