Space news and Exploration II

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by ScienceRocks, Feb 2, 2014.

1. FA_Q2

FA_Q2 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,207
    I disagree. I think you could manage it right now if we had reliable info on another planet and the financial backing. There are 7 BILLION people on this planet. Many of them want to do some AMAZINGLY asinine shit. Traveling to another planet will get plenty of volunteers. What is missing is the enormous expense that would take and the information that such a trip would yield results.

2. HUGGY

HUGGY I Post Because I Care Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,300
    What? The robots would keep the "ingredients" for human life in liquid nitrogen for the voyage? What would they do to duplicate a womb? How would these robots simulate a "birth"? Seems like raising "normal" human babies would be problematic. Maybe THAT"S where the hologram environment kicks in to give the children something like a "normal" human experience as the children develop.

3. ScienceRocks

ScienceRocks Blue dog all the way!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,394
    I think humanity should go for it as it preservers our species and makes sure we can't be wiped out if something happens to the earth. But more so, just because we're a species that loves to explore.

Within my opinion, only about 3-4 planets of the 1200 released today get me anywhere near excited. One of them is kind of like kepler 452b ;) Another is kind of like Kepler 62e.

4. sealybobo

sealybobo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,469
    This Sunday instead of learning about the lord I learned about the James Webb telescope set to be launched in 2020?

What do we know about planets in the habitable zone? As of right now we don't know if they have life or not, correct? So there is imo at least a 50 50 chance planets that are in the habitable zone have life. What that life looks like who knows but life none the less.

Science is great.

5. sealybobo

sealybobo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,469
    You mean excited as far as us being able to live on them? I agree. It'll be great if life is on Europa but that doesn't mean I can go swim there.