Space exploration thread

All missions and latest advances in space exploration goes here.

The SLS suppose to be able to put 105-120 tons into space. This is bigger than the saturn 5...All we need is a modern lander and we can land on the moon.

My problem with Obama is he doesn't have a clear plan.

No offense, but why are you exited about colonizing the moon exactly?

It is a dead moon, just like the rest of the solar system. If you colonize it, it will only be temporary and in the end not cost effective. There is no escaping the earth which is a planet that is alive.

Votto, Mathew, Afrique, et al,

Well, I can't speak for everyone, but I can tell you how I feel aout it.

The SLS suppose to be able to put 105-120 tons into space. This is bigger than the saturn 5...All we need is a modern lander and we can land on the moon.

It is a dead moon, just like the rest of the solar system. If you colonize it, it will only be temporary and in the end not cost effective. There is no escaping the earth which is a planet that is alive.
(COMMENT)

I think this is science. This is something exciting and something I can understand. We can see results.

It is much different that all this invisible Dark Energy and Dark Matter magic about which, se can't see. Some of this new stuff that is coming out makes me wonder what kind of crack some of our scientist are smoking.

Most Respectfully,
R

Do you have any clue of the resources of space? Or do you really believe that the earth is the only body in all the universes that has resources??? That would be very short sighted. Each asteroid is worth trillions of dollars worth of rare metals and fresh water all over our solar system...Believe it or not the living planet we live on was formed by asteroids and certainly isn't the be all and end all by any reach of the imagination.

Maybe because we can??? Maybe because one day we will run out of resources to support our population on this one little planet. Anyone wonder why Obama has chosen astroids and only a year ago Eon mask as Obama's friend is being given everything from contracts for the rockets to get there??? That's because there's serious fucking money to be made and our leadership is waking up to it. Eon Musk now has a business to go mine them.

Or how about for the fact that it is within humanity's blood to explore and expand our knowledge??? Do we really need anymore reasons. Short sightedness is something that many humans have had over our history...Thank god for the people that have taken steps to move our species forward.

I'd gladly close 90% of our over sea's bases to expand our space programs to its rightful place.

One more thing, Eon Musk is a business man that see's money, money and more money. I hope he becomes the next JP Morgan! And if successful in mining asteroids he will have a trillion dollars in his bank account. Hows that for dead????

Last edited:
Researchers test novel power system for space travel

Researchers test novel power system for space travel

The research team recently demonstrated the first use of a heat pipe to cool a small nuclear reactor and power a Stirling engine.

John Bounds of Los Alamos National Laboratory's Advanced Nuclear Technology Division makes final adjustments on the DUFF experiment, a demonstration of a simple, robust fission reactor prototype that could be used as a power system for space travel. DUFF is the first demonstration of a space nuclear reactor system to produce electricity in the United States since 1965.

“Perhaps one of the more important aspects of this experiment is that it was taken from concept to completion in 6 months for less than a million dollars,” said Los Alamos engineer David Dixon. “We wanted to show that with a tightly-knit and focused team, it is possible to successfully perform practical reactor testing.”

Joint DOE and NASA team demonstrates simple, robust fission reactor prototype

LOS ALAMOS, N.M., Nov. 26, 2012—A team of researchers, including engineers from Los Alamos National Laboratory, has demonstrated a new concept for a reliable nuclear reactor that could be used on space flights.

The research team recently demonstrated the first use of a heat pipe to cool a small nuclear reactor and power a Stirling engine at the Nevada National Security Site’s Device Assembly Facility near Las Vegas. The Demonstration Using Flattop Fissions (DUFF) experiment produced 24 watts of electricity. A team of engineers from Los Alamos, the NASA Glenn Research Center and National Security Technologies LLC (NSTec) conducted the experiment.

One of the few good things about Obama is the fact that he has made a large part of our space program PRIVATE. Men like Eon Musk now can become the J.P Morgan the 21st century!!!

Any right winger that doesn't like it is a leftist. One that wants to block humanity from the resources of space!

Last edited:
Letting private business take over when the basic R and D is done is the goal of such programs. Bluesky R and D is seldom profitable, and not worth the risk for most businesses. Yet, when it does pay off, the payoff is so spectacular that is changes the way we live.

So NASA plays with experimental vehicles, and the private business uses what is learned to make space trucks. That is as it should be.

Letting private business take over when the basic R and D is done is the goal of such programs. Bluesky R and D is seldom profitable, and not worth the risk for most businesses. Yet, when it does pay off, the payoff is so spectacular that is changes the way we live.

So NASA plays with experimental vehicles, and the private business uses what is learned to make space trucks. That is as it should be.

Did you see the skylon news above??? This is going to make space travel cheap. This plane will be able to take stuff up and down. Very important.

We can thank the British for another huge breakthrough. If successful Eon Musk is going to be one rich sob...The J.P Morgan of the 21st century.

One of the few good things about Obama is the fact that he has made a large part of our space program PRIVATE. Men like Eon Musk now can become the J.P Morgan the 21st century!!!

Any right winger that doesn't like it is a leftist. One that wants to block humanity from the resources of space!

Is it like how Solyndra was going to take off as well?

I'll believe it when I see it. My belief on the matter means nothing to them in terms of success or failure. So now I guess we just sit back and watch.

Where you gonna go and how are you going to survive once you get there? Face it rocketheads, there ain't nothin on Mars and you can't get any further than that in your lifetime.

Where you gonna go and how are you going to survive once you get there? Face it rocketheads, there ain't nothin on Mars and you can't get any further than that in your lifetime.

Same was said about the car, computer(yep) and a crap load of stuff. Visionless people need to be shown wrong and normally are. I can't wait until a billionaire does!

The real rich got there through doing just that! If you think that there isn't anything of value in our solar system...Well, there must be a santa!

Believe me, this kind of close mindless really does hurt the republican party.

Last edited:

Same was said about the car, computer(yep) and a crap load of stuff. Visionless people need to be shown wrong and normally are. I can't wait until a billionaire does!

The real rich got there through doing just that! If you think that there isn't anything of value in our solar system...Well, there must be a santa!

It must be the new democrat party religion. I guess you gotta have faith when reality is considered to be mindless. It makes you understand how the global warming theories have been embraced by the left. It's all about politics. For the record it ain't a new concept. Einstein said we can't travel even close to the speed of light and it would take the equivlant of the human race and the time of the dinosaurs to travel to a distant star which is the only other energy source other than our Sun and even if we traveled at the speed of light the freaking star might not be there when we arrive. It' a dream people. We are stuck on this hunk of junk and you better get your minds right.

It must be the new democrat party religion. I guess you gotta have faith when reality is considered to be mindless. It makes you understand how the global warming theories have been embraced by the left. It's all about politics. For the record it ain't a new concept. Einstein said we can't travel even close to the speed of light and it would take the equivlant of the human race and the time of the dinosaurs to travel to a distant star which is the only other energy source other than our Sun and even if we traveled at the speed of light the freaking star might not be there when we arrive. It' a dream people. We are stuck on this hunk of junk and you better get your minds right.

We don't have to leave the solar system. One asteroid is worth many trillions of dollars and moons like Europa has fresh water oceans that are 50-70 miles deep. Who's talking about going outside of the solar system? Why do we want to limit ourselves to one planet. There will become a time when who ever that controls the mining of asteroids will be the economic power of earth.

Warp drive that now takes about the mass of a small car in energy seems to be possible. Moving space is possible. We wouldn't have the world we enjoy today if there wasn't risk takers.

Last edited:

So we just sit here on this one planet forever, never moving foward amongst the stars?

So we just sit here on this one planet forever, never moving foward amongst the stars?

Some people wouldn't of sailed the sea's or left the horse and buggy. It's sad. Thank god we have people that do.

But billionares are the new evil targets of progressives. How long do you think they can hold out?

Let me just say, the potential of the human mind is limitless. However, the faulty petty selfish nature limits them to such a degree that their limitless potential is almost rendered null and void.

Then again, being able to dream is what keeps us going, so keep dreaming my friend!! :)

Last edited:
China plans to grow vegetables on Moon, Mars

http://economictimes...ow/17463990.cms

Gardening in space! Chinese astronauts may grow fresh vegetables in extraterrestrial bases on Moon or Mars in the future to provide food and oxygen supplies to astronauts, an official said after a successful lab experiment.

Deng Yibing, deputy director of the Beijing-based Chinese Astronaut Research and Training Center, said that the recent experiment focused on a dynamic balanced mechanism of oxygen, carbon dioxide, and water between people and plants in a closed system.

According to Deng, a cabin of 300 cubic metres was established to provide sustainable supplies of air, water and food for two participants during the experiment, the official Xinhua news agency reported.
Four kinds of vegetables were grown, taking in carbon dioxide and providing oxygen for the two people living in the cabin. They could also harvest fresh vegetables for meals, Deng said.

This caught my eye because a good friend used to work for Orbital Sciences before getting laid off a few years ago. Maybe they'll call him back.

Orbital Sciences Replaces SpaceX on Stratolaunch Project - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON — After the exit of launch services provider Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX) Corp. as its rocket subcontractor, Stratolaunch Systems has turned to Orbital Sciences Corp. of Dulles, Va., to keep the world's largest air-launch-to-orbit system on track for a 2017 test flight.

3D Printer Could Transform Moon Dirt Into Lunar Base

Megan Gannon, News Editor

Date: 04 December 2012 Time: 06:20 AM ET
3D Printer Could Transform Moon Dirt Into Lunar Base | Space.com

For space scientists dreaming up a manned base on the moon, 3D printing with lunar dust looms as an attractive possibility. Such on-demand fabrication would allow astronauts to repair broken parts, manufacture spare ones and maybe even build structures, all out of the dirt scooped from under their boots.

In a new study involving artificial moon dust, engineers have shown that the technology is close to becoming reality.

With 10 pounds of simulated lunar dirt (or regolith) in hand, NASA officials approached researchers at Washington State University and challenged them to melt and resolidify the fake moon rock using 3D laser printing technology, which produces objects layer by layer based on a computer model.

The simulant is an expensive combination of silicon, aluminum, calcium, iron and magnesium oxides. Meant to mimic the properties of the regolith found on the moon, the powdery material had a particle structure resembling that of ceramics.

Because of their tendency to crack, ceramics can be tough to manipulate using 3D printers. But the WSU researchers, including husband-and-wife team Amit Bandyopadhyay and Susmita Bose, had previously demonstrated that ceramic-like material can be re-formed with an on-demand fabricator to create custom-made bone scaffolding.

Van Allen Probes reveal new dynamics of radiation belts
December 6, 2012
Van Allen Probes reveal new dynamics of radiation belts

Phys.org)—Just 96 days since their launch, NASA's twin Van Allen Probes have already provided new insights into the structure and behavior of the radiation belts that surround Earth, giving scientists a clearer understanding about the fundamental physical properties of these regions more than half a century after their discovery.

In a press conference on Tuesday, Dec. 4 at the American Geophysical Union's 2012 Fall Meeting in San Francisco, members of the Van Allen Probes science team discussed current findings made in unlocking the mysteries of the radiation belts. These two donut-shaped regions of high-energy and hazardous particles – named for their discoverer and the mission's namesake, American physicist James Van Allen of the University of Iowa – are created by our planet's magnetosphere, and can harm space technologies such as satellites, as well as affect human space travel.

Forum List

Back