Space elevator team wins $900,000

Back to the topic, which at least is an interesting one for those who think there are possibilities in space and believe it has importance to the advancement of science:

On Fox News, a commentator said that a space elevator was not practical for Earth. When asked why the award and why would we promote the wasted effort, he said while it would not work on Earth, it would work on other bodies in space, like our own moon for instance, to transport cargo into space from some future moon base.

I would take issue with that since there is virtually no rotation of the moon, there is also no angular momentum to allow a satellite to maintain the synchronous orbit which would be necessary for a space elevator. And also the gravity well of the moon does not require such a large expenditure of fuel/energy to leave the surface to pay for the investment of a space elevator, whether possible or not.

In his book "The Millenial Project," (Colonizing the galaxy in five easy steps) Marshall T. Savage proposed a type of "rail" launch (assist) vehicle using Mount Kilimanjaro as the incline plane to propel vehicles and cargo into orbit, with a further assist at higher altitudes to refine orbital insertions. The moon, with only 17-percent of Earth’s gravity and a stable rotation period (27.3 days) would provide an even better very stable launch facility for insertion into either Lunar or Earth orbits for heavy loads or transportation facilities.

The Millenial Project was a great book for it’s time: he explored everything from from first developing the seas and oceans for habitats as suitably tough environments to gaining experience in advance to space exploration, to terraforming Mars, and developing the solar system for profit, and ultimately the preservation of human life.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Millennial-Project-Colonizing-Galaxy-Eight/dp/0316771635]Amazon.com: The Millennial Project: Colonizing the Galaxy in Eight Easy Steps (9780316771634): Marshall T. Savage: Books[/ame]

Last edited:
Yep, Chris, KK is spot on and we only can assume your a bald faced liar when it comes to you being an author.
The only thing I would believe you authored, would be in the third stall in a latrine.:lol:

I will bet you $10,000 I have written three books that have been published.

Care to bet?

Please read the emboldened words in my prior post.

Then bet me, coward.

You don't have the guts to back up your lies.

And it's "you're" not "your."

Last edited:
ok lets put it this way....for a published "author" your posts are pretty thin with facts....a "real" writer would be able to not only back up his claims....BUT ANSWER QUESTIONS posed to him....NOT say the same dam thing over and over....if you want people to treat you seriously start acting like you have a little bit upstairs......

No, the answers are posted, but your worldview won't accept them.

Show me any industrialized country in the world with national health insurance that pays more per capita for healthcare than we do.

I dare you.
Chris every country you have mentioned...including France, have one kind of problem or another,with their health care system...and all this has been posted by other posters in various threads....and all you do is just keep on throwing the same dam sentence back at them.....as far as most people here think with your posts is.....all the other countries of the world have these FLAWLESS systems that are almost perfect.... BECAUSE they have a one payer system...you wont admit,at least i have NEVER read a post of yours, saying that its true other countries are having problems too.....the only country according to your posts that has problems is ours....NO ONE else has problems BECAUSE they have a one payer system.....and your wrong and you wont admit it......and until i see you admit that,i wont take your posts seriously....

Why are you misrepresenting my position with lies?

I NEVER said that other countries don't have problems.

That is why I don't take your posts seriously.

No, the answers are posted, but your worldview won't accept them.

Show me any industrialized country in the world with national health insurance that pays more per capita for healthcare than we do.

I dare you.
Chris every country you have mentioned...including France, have one kind of problem or another,with their health care system...and all this has been posted by other posters in various threads....and all you do is just keep on throwing the same dam sentence back at them.....as far as most people here think with your posts is.....all the other countries of the world have these FLAWLESS systems that are almost perfect.... BECAUSE they have a one payer system...you wont admit,at least i have NEVER read a post of yours, saying that its true other countries are having problems too.....the only country according to your posts that has problems is ours....NO ONE else has problems BECAUSE they have a one payer system.....and your wrong and you wont admit it......and until i see you admit that,i wont take your posts seriously....

wow, thick irony here

Chris, NO ONE takes anything you post seriously

YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE....whenever ANYONE talks about France or any other countries problems with their health care all you come back with is the one payer bullshit and how they pay less then we do.....NEVER addressing the problem the poster was bringing up...you are a FUCKING fraud Chris....the only 3 books you have ever written are....
1...How To Masturbate with your left hand....
2...How To Masturbate with your Right Hand .....
3...How To Give Yourself a Blowjob...

Last edited:

YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE....whenever ANYONE talks about France or any other countries problems with their health care all you come back with is the one payer bullshit and how they pay less then we do.....NEVER addressing the problem the poster was bringing up...you are a FUCKING fraud Chris....the only 3 books you have ever written are....

:lol:

This post says more about you than it does about me.

Then bet me $10,000.

Coward.

Then bet me $10,000.

Coward.

suck my left nut you dam fraud.....

Then bet me $10,000.

Coward.

suck my left nut you dam fraud.....

Come on, coward.

Bet me.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci9CCvTHvpM]YouTube - Doctor Steel's "Build the Robots"[/ame]

This ... just fits ... for some strange reason. ;)

A Seattle-based team has won $900,000 in this year's Space Elevator Games, a NASA-sponsored contest to build machines powered by laser beams that can climb a cable in the sky.

The homemade cable-climber built by the LaserMotive team climbed a 3,000-foot (900-meter) tether suspended by a helicopter at a speed of 8 mph (3.7 meters per second or 13 kilometers per hour) during a Wednesday attempt.

LaserMotive's robot climber managed to get all the way up the cable four times in two days, with a best time of about 3 minutes and 48 seconds (translating to a speed of 3.9 meters per second).

The feat was the best performance yet for a miniature space elevator prototype and qualified LaserMotive to win the lower-level prize of NASA's $2 million Power Beaming Challenge this week at the Dryden Flight Research Center at Edwards Air Force Base in California's Mojave Desert. The contest requires competitors to beam power from a remote source to propel their vehicles up a quarter-inch-thick steel cable dangling from a helicopter.

The 2009 Space Elevator Games are the first in which prize money has been awarded. This year's event was "a very successful competition," said Andy Petro, director of NASA's Centennial Challenges program. "Power beaming is truly a 21st-century technology."

Space elevator team wins $900,000 from NASA - Space.com- msnbc.com

That is pretty cool.

I am looking forward to the day we have functioning space elevators. It'll be revolutionary.

Once we develop carbon nanotubes, many, many, revolutionary products will emerge including space elevators and solar panels that will power our houses.

We should pour much more money into carbon nanotube research.

Then we can tell the Saudis to kiss our ass.

they will be the only ones who can afford them-----and I want to ride an elevator into space because?

Because 2012 is coming very soon..

http://www.youtube.com/user/2012the...81&kw=2012 trailer#play/uploads/0/tvI6VUgcRQ4

Last edited:
Come on, coward.

Bet me.

You are just an idiot. :cool: That bet I win.

Chris has lowered heimself down to a troll. He could never prove that he wrote 3 books, and there is no way that he would pay up. That is equal to a troll on any messageboard.
KK, would him being a self proclaimed author be considered Delusions of Grandeur?

Sorry, you are the troll.

You are just an idiot. :cool: That bet I win.

Chris has lowered heimself down to a troll. He could never prove that he wrote 3 books, and there is no way that he would pay up. That is equal to a troll on any messageboard.
KK, would him being a self proclaimed author be considered Delusions of Grandeur?

He hasn't made any claims that he insists are true ... you have. Nut up or shut up.

He hasn't made any claims that he insists are true ... you have. Nut up or shut up.

More lies.

Forum List

Back