Space elevator team wins $900,000

Seems to me that the actual intelligence level required to be a "Real Estate Sales Agent" is not very high ... all he must do is read from cue cards.

Very amusing.

I made the Dean's List in college, and I've written three books.

How many books have you written?
With your educational quals I'm sure you can answer or put to rest these questions or challenges:

Wouldn’t the tether have to be connected to a satellite in a geosynchronous orbit, about 24,000 miles above the earth or higher and be connected to a stationary point on earth or to a station at sea?

Wouldn't that satellite have to have sufficient mass to provide an "anchor-weight" for the tether and the elevator or elevators and all the mass being lifted at any given moment?

Wouldn't the tether have to be large enough to provide enough frictional traction to lift large masses to make it practical?

At an elevation of 24,000 miles, and say a lift speed of (what?) 240-mph, 100 hours would be required for a one way elevator trip, and would have to be able to pass other elevators traveling the tether in the other direction to maximize its utility.

In "Blue Mars" (or) "Green Mars," by Kim Stanley Robinson, he wrote of a space elevator which was connected in space to Diemos as "anchor-weight" which had been moved into a lower, in this case, “aero-synchronous" orbit. His carbon nano-tube tether had a diameter of 9-meters.

In the case of his space elevator, as Diemos was being moved into the correct orbit around Mars, the cable was being “spun out” as it was manufactured, so that synchronous orbit and proper tether length occurred simultaneously. In his Mars series he had an earlier space elevator anchored to a satellite called "Clarke" named after Arthur C. Clarke who, I believe, originated the space elevator scheme.

I’m not trying to cast aspersions on the idea, but it does seem to have its practical difficulties, even once we are able to spin carbon-nanotube tethers, which at that length regardless of the diameter would be quite heavy, and have to be transported into space or manufactured there from existing raw materials

It was made to seem practical on Mars, with it’s .38 Earth gravity, and the need for transport to and from the surface to make habitation and trade between Mars and Earth an economic reality. Anyone interested in space elevators who hasn’t read the series would find it interesting.

med_marselevator.png

Here, the Deimos anchorweight keeps the Martian Elevator in tension and has been hollowed out to become a transport hub.

"It does seem to have practical difficulties."

That's putting it mildly!!!

I think the biggest difficulty is that we may discover something in the meantime that is cheaper and better.

I know a bit about this shit, I grew up studying it while morons like you were out playing kick ball in the school yard.
not Chris Kitty....he was the kid who never got picked for a team.....the kids he knew thought he was ass back then too....plus that he was constantly telling them ....."the rest of the world has a single payer system....yada yada yada....."

Seems to me that the actual intelligence level required to be a "Real Estate Sales Agent" is not very high ... all he must do is read from cue cards.

selling to people who cant afford to pay for the houses was an easy payday for the guy.....Chris and his ilk was part of this real estate problem....feel proud of yourself Chris?....

A Seattle-based team has won $900,000 in this year's Space Elevator Games, a NASA-sponsored contest to build machines powered by laser beams that can climb a cable in the sky.

The homemade cable-climber built by the LaserMotive team climbed a 3,000-foot (900-meter) tether suspended by a helicopter at a speed of 8 mph (3.7 meters per second or 13 kilometers per hour) during a Wednesday attempt.

LaserMotive's robot climber managed to get all the way up the cable four times in two days, with a best time of about 3 minutes and 48 seconds (translating to a speed of 3.9 meters per second).

The feat was the best performance yet for a miniature space elevator prototype and qualified LaserMotive to win the lower-level prize of NASA's $2 million Power Beaming Challenge this week at the Dryden Flight Research Center at Edwards Air Force Base in California's Mojave Desert. The contest requires competitors to beam power from a remote source to propel their vehicles up a quarter-inch-thick steel cable dangling from a helicopter.

The 2009 Space Elevator Games are the first in which prize money has been awarded. This year's event was "a very successful competition," said Andy Petro, director of NASA's Centennial Challenges program. "Power beaming is truly a 21st-century technology."

Space elevator team wins $900,000 from NASA - Space.com- msnbc.com
Can you find out how much of a carbon footprint it leaves?

It doesn't matter..it cannot be done.

I'm quite certain that any books written by Chris consisted of one sentence repeated on 500 pages.

His latest Masterpiece?

The Stimulus is Working Part III: The Stimulus is Still Working

and dont forget the contents of chapters 1-15......

"
Every other industrialized nation in the world has national health insurance, and they pay HALF per capita what we pay for healthcare because they do these things."

I don't need to post proofs.

I know its true and that's all that matters to me.

I LOVE the fact that you can't accept it though.

It warms my heart.

Oh and have you been drinking?

If you don't post proof, you cannot expect anyone to believe you, period. So ... you are a liar.

I'm not posting any personal info here for obvious reasons.

I love the fact that you can't handle the truth, though.

It's you in a nutshell.

well Chris i am a guy who has published an incredibly big seller.....still sells as a matter of fact.....it was the 7th volume of the "DUMMIES" series......it was called"What People Who Say The Same Stuff Over And Over ....Are Really Saying ....For Dummies".....check it out....im quite proud of it.....that is why i can relate to you,and,say without reservation....that you are full of Shit.....if you were an author you would relate much more info then your usual same ol same ol shit that you throw out....sorry but your a phony....

A Seattle-based team has won $900,000 in this year's Space Elevator Games, a NASA-sponsored contest to build machines powered by laser beams that can climb a cable in the sky.

The homemade cable-climber built by the LaserMotive team climbed a 3,000-foot (900-meter) tether suspended by a helicopter at a speed of 8 mph (3.7 meters per second or 13 kilometers per hour) during a Wednesday attempt.

LaserMotive's robot climber managed to get all the way up the cable four times in two days, with a best time of about 3 minutes and 48 seconds (translating to a speed of 3.9 meters per second).

The feat was the best performance yet for a miniature space elevator prototype and qualified LaserMotive to win the lower-level prize of NASA's $2 million Power Beaming Challenge this week at the Dryden Flight Research Center at Edwards Air Force Base in California's Mojave Desert. The contest requires competitors to beam power from a remote source to propel their vehicles up a quarter-inch-thick steel cable dangling from a helicopter.

The 2009 Space Elevator Games are the first in which prize money has been awarded. This year's event was "a very successful competition," said Andy Petro, director of NASA's Centennial Challenges program. "Power beaming is truly a 21st-century technology."

Space elevator team wins $900,000 from NASA - Space.com- msnbc.com
Can you find out how much of a carbon footprint it leaves?

It doesn't matter..it cannot be done.

It was sarcasm, Huggy, sarcasm.....sheesh

I know a bit about this shit, I grew up studying it while morons like you were out playing kick ball in the school yard.
not Chris Kitty....he was the kid who never got picked for a team.....the kids he knew thought he was ass back then too....plus that he was constantly telling them ....."the rest of the world has a single payer system....yada yada yada....."

I am enjoying your personal vitriol.

Still waiting for someone to dispute that one.

Oh, you can't. Because it's the truth.

If you don't post proof, you cannot expect anyone to believe you, period. So ... you are a liar.

It's you in a nutshell.

well Chris i am a guy who has published an incredibly big seller.....still sells as a matter of fact.....it was the 7th volume of the "DUMMIES" series......it was called"What People Who Say The Same Stuff Over And Over ....Are Really Saying ....For Dummies".....check it out....im quite proud of it.....that is why i can relate to you,and,say without reservation....that you are full of Shit.....if you were an author you would relate much more info then your usual same ol same ol shit that you throw out....sorry but your a phony....

Tell you what....I'll bet you $10,000 I am a published author with three books.

Care to take that bet?

It's you in a nutshell.

Care to take that bet?

You don't have the vocabulary beyond, "See Spot Run."

I'm quite certain that any books written by Chris consisted of one sentence repeated on 500 pages.

His latest Masterpiece?

The Stimulus is Working Part III: The Stimulus is Still Working

and dont forget the contents of chapters 1-15......

"
Every other industrialized nation in the world has national health insurance, and they pay HALF per capita what we pay for healthcare because they do these things."
i think he has that on a macro to make it easier to post
;)
of course, someone ELSE had to set it up for him
:lol:

It's you in a nutshell.

Care to take that bet?
betting is not allowed here
it would get the board into trouble
you've been here long enough to know that so you are just using that as a bullshit attempt to give you legitimacy

Care to take that bet?

Then take the bet.

I've got $10,000 just sitting in the bank, and I need to make some money.

Care to take that bet?
betting is not allowed here
it would get the board into trouble
you've been here long enough to know that so you are just using that as a bullshit attempt to give you legitimac
y

Care to take that bet?

Then take the bet.

see above

Care to take that bet?

Then take the bet.

Why do you have your money parked in one of those corporate institutions? Your a hypocrit.
I could really care less what you have written, Chris. Your books would mean nothing to me, and I wouldn't waste a nikel to read one of the pieces of garbage that you say you wrote. I don't don't and won't believe it no matter what you say. So pound sand with your three books, OK?

Then take the bet.

Why do you have your money parked in one of those corporate institutions? Your a hypocrit.
I could really care less what you have written, Chris. Your books would mean nothing to me, and I wouldn't waste a nikel to read one of the pieces of garbage that you say you wrote. I don't don't and won't believe it no matter what you say. So pound sand with your three books, OK?

As I figured.

You don't have the guts to back up your lies.

Then take the bet.

As I figured.

What lies do I need to back up? :cuckoo:
This is why people think that you don't have the IQ to put a page of coherent typing together for a book. And, they're right

Last edited:

As I figured.

What lies do I need to back up? :cuckoo:
This is why people think that you don't have the IQ to put a page of coherent typing together for a book. And, they're right

Sorry, your insults have no effect on me.

Still waiting for you to take that bet......

Forum List

Back