Space elevator team wins $900,000

Researchers at Rice University have discovered a method of industrial-scale processing of pure carbon nanotube fibers. The breakthrough is the result of a nine-year program and the method builds on the processes that have been used by chemical firms for decades to produce plastics.

Researcher Matteo Pasquali from Rice said, "Plastics is a $300 billion U.S. industry because of the massive throughput that's possible with fluid processing. The reason grocery stores use plastic bags instead of paper and the reason polyester shirts are cheaper than cotton is that polymers can be melted or dissolved and processed as fluids by the train-car load. Processing nanotubes as fluids opens up all of the fluid-processing technology that has been developed for polymers."

The researchers report that the new process builds on a discovery made in 2003 at Rice that found a way to dissolve large amounts of pure nanotubes in strong acetic solvents like sulfuric acids. The team of researchers found with further investigation that the nanotubes dissolved in the acidic solutions aligned themselves like spaghetti in a package to form liquid crystals that could then be spun into monofilament fibers about as thick as a human hair.

Researcher Wade Adams said, "That research established an industrially relevant process for nanotubes that was analogous to the methods used to create Kevlar from rodlike polymers, except for the acid not being a true solvent. The current research shows that we have a true solvent for nanotubes -- chlorosulfonic acid -- which is what we set out to find when we started this project nine years ago."

DailyTech - Rice University Researchers Make Breakthrough in Carbon Nanotube Processing

Seems to me that the actual intelligence level required to be a "Real Estate Sales Agent" is not very high ... all he must do is read from cue cards.

Very amusing.

I made the Dean's List in college, and I've written three books.

How many books have you written?

Seems to me that the actual intelligence level required to be a "Real Estate Sales Agent" is not very high ... all he must do is read from cue cards.

Very amusing.

Using sexual favors to get ahead doesn't make one smart. ;)

As I suspected, zero.

The technical problems with nanotubes will be overcome, and they will revolutionize materials science.

How many of them were published? In my life time I've written dozens of short stories mostly parodies one religious tract of about fifty pages and and have bits and pieces of about four diffrent novels one of which is actually based on a D&D Campaign I created for some local guys and gals about 30 odd years ago. Never bothered to try to get any of them published except the religious tract.

How many of them were published? In my life time I've written dozens of short stories mostly parodies one religious tract of about fifty pages and and have bits and pieces of about four diffrent novels one of which is actually based on a D&D Campaign I created for some local guys and gals about 30 odd years ago. Never bothered to try to get any of them published except the religious tract.

Chris thinks contributing to Wicrapedia as being "published". ;)

All three.

All three.

Hmm ... pamphlets don't count either.

Sorry, buckaroo.

No more personal info.

Then STFU ... because if you are not willing to share those facts, then your are most likely lying. ;)

Hardly.

Have you been drinking?

Unless you can show proof of what you claim, then you are lying, plain and simple. The reason I never answered your question to me was because I don't want to give that personal info out, but I promise, I have been published, photographed, and even held power much more than you have in life .. but again, I won't post proof of all that so I won't use it to make such wild claims like you do. ;) So, you are a liar until you post proof of what you claim to be accomplishments. I have posted the few that I do claim on here, websites and 3D animations ... that is all I will say for sure that I do though, because unlike you, I am honest.

I'm quite certain that any books written by Chris consisted of one sentence repeated on 500 pages.

His latest Masterpiece?

The Stimulus is Working Part III: The Stimulus is Still Working

Then STFU ... because if you are not willing to share those facts, then your are most likely lying. ;)

Hardly.

Have you been drinking?

Unless you can show proof of what you claim, then you are lying, plain and simple. The reason I never answered your question to me was because I don't want to give that personal info out, but I promise, I have been published, photographed, and even held power much more than you have in life .. but again, I won't post proof of all that so I won't use it to make such wild claims like you do. ;) So, you are a liar until you post proof of what you claim to be accomplishments. I have posted the few that I do claim on here, websites and 3D animations ... that is all I will say for sure that I do though, because unlike you, I am honest.

I don't need to post proofs.

I know its true and that's all that matters to me.

I LOVE the fact that you can't accept it though.

It warms my heart.

Oh and have you been drinking?

Very amusing.

With your educational quals I'm sure you can answer or put to rest these questions or challenges:

Wouldn’t the tether have to be connected to a satellite in a geosynchronous orbit, about 24,000 miles above the earth or higher and be connected to a stationary point on earth or to a station at sea?

Wouldn't that satellite have to have sufficient mass to provide an "anchor-weight" for the tether and the elevator or elevators and all the mass being lifted at any given moment?

Wouldn't the tether have to be large enough to provide enough frictional traction to lift large masses to make it practical?

At an elevation of 24,000 miles, and say a lift speed of (what?) 240-mph, 100 hours would be required for a one way elevator trip, and would have to be able to pass other elevators traveling the tether in the other direction to maximize its utility.

In "Blue Mars" (or) "Green Mars," by Kim Stanley Robinson, he wrote of a space elevator which was connected in space to Diemos as "anchor-weight" which had been moved into a lower, in this case, “aero-synchronous" orbit. His carbon nano-tube tether had a diameter of 9-meters.

In the case of his space elevator, as Diemos was being moved into the correct orbit around Mars, the cable was being “spun out” as it was manufactured, so that synchronous orbit and proper tether length occurred simultaneously. In his Mars series he had an earlier space elevator anchored to a satellite called "Clarke" named after Arthur C. Clarke who, I believe, originated the space elevator scheme.

I’m not trying to cast aspersions on the idea, but it does seem to have its practical difficulties, even once we are able to spin carbon-nanotube tethers, which at that length regardless of the diameter would be quite heavy, and have to be transported into space or manufactured there from existing raw materials

It was made to seem practical on Mars, with it’s .38 Earth gravity, and the need for transport to and from the surface to make habitation and trade between Mars and Earth an economic reality. Anyone interested in space elevators who hasn’t read the series would find it interesting.

med_marselevator.png

Here, the Deimos anchorweight keeps the Martian Elevator in tension and has been hollowed out to become a transport hub.

Last edited:
Hardly.

Have you been drinking?

It warms my heart.

If you don't post proof, you cannot expect anyone to believe you, period. So ... you are a liar.

Very amusing.

With your educational quals I'm sure you can answer or put to rest these questions or challenges:

Wouldn’t the tether have to be connected to a satellite in a geosynchronous orbit, about 24,000 miles above the earth or higher and be connected to a stationary point on earth or to a station at sea?

Wouldn't that satellite have to have sufficient mass to provide an "anchor-weight" for the tether and the elevator or elevators and all the mass being lifted at any given moment?

Wouldn't the tether have to be large enough to provide enough frictional traction to lift large masses to make it practical?

At an elevation of 24,000 miles, and say a lift speed of (what?) 240-mph, 100 hours would be required for a one way elevator trip, and would have to be able to pass other elevators traveling the tether in the other direction to maximize its utility.

In Blue Mars or Green Mars, by Kim Stanley Robinson, he wrote of a space elevator which was connected in space to Diemos as "anchor-weight" which had been moved into a lower, in this case, “aero-synchronous" orbit. His carbon nano-tube tether had a diameter of 9-meters. In the case of his space elevator, as Diemos was being moved into the correct orbit around Mars, the cable was being “spun out” as it was manufactured so that synchronous orbit and proper tether length occurred simultaneously. In his Mars series he had an earlier space elevator anchored to a satellite called "Clarke" named after Arthur C. Clarke who, I believe, originated the space elevator scheme.

I’m not trying to cast aspersions on the idea, but it does seem to have its practical difficulties, even once we are able to spin carbon-nanotube tethers, which at that length regardless of the diameter would be quite heavy. It was made to seem practical on Mars, with it’s .38 Earth gravity, and the need for transport to and from the surface to make habitation and trade between Mars and Earth an economic reality. Anyone interested in space elevators who hasn’t read the series would find it interesting.

med_marselevator.png

Here, the Deimos anchorweight keeps the Martian Elevator in tension

That is precisely why the project keeps going nowhere. It's been around since the 80's ... yet there is no way to make it useful.

It warms my heart.

If you don't post proof, you cannot expect anyone to believe you, period. So ... you are a liar.

I'm not posting any personal info here for obvious reasons.

I love the fact that you can't handle the truth, though.

It's you in a nutshell.

Not to mention there is the incredible risk of a high-speed fatal crash with space junk in orbit. As we learned from the Columbia disaster, even a small particle traveling at incredibly high speeds can critically damage spacecraft (and elevator cars).

_44569771_esa_equator416.jpg

Forum List

Back