Sovereign Citizens Take Over Vacant Homes

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
People losing their homes to foreclosure return to gather their personal goods to find their home occupied by squatters. All too often, the squatters are part of something called Sovereign Citizens who steal the furnishings and leaves the properties in shambles. The whole things seems to be run by someone called Thomas Benson who claims his adherents have rights to empty properties.

This article deals with Las Vegas but it appears to be a nation-wide scam. Know of any in your area?

This story @ ‘Sovereign citizen’ case reveals squatters targeting vacant Las Vegas homes

Several people are linked to purported Las Vegas sovereign citizen @ Several people are linked to purported Las Vegas sovereign citizen

Squatters are a national issue, particularly in the urban areas.

The law is not clear on prosecution if the owners return and kill everyone squatting in the home, since they have no legal right to be there.

People losing their homes to foreclosure return to gather their personal goods to find their home occupied by squatters. All too often, the squatters are part of something called Sovereign Citizens who steal the furnishings and leaves the properties in shambles. The whole things seems to be run by someone called Thomas Benson who claims his adherents have rights to empty properties.

This article deals with Las Vegas but it appears to be a nation-wide scam. Know of any in your area?

This story @ ‘Sovereign citizen’ case reveals squatters targeting vacant Las Vegas homes

Several people are linked to purported Las Vegas sovereign citizen @ Several people are linked to purported Las Vegas sovereign citizen

yes-----I was a victim----not just Nevada. The scam actually started, I believe, in New York-------groups of squatters were actually
GIVEN POSSESSION of the properties in which they squatted-----kinda like claiming a
HOMESTEAD on the FRONTIER

yes-----I was a victim----not just Nevada. The scam actually started, I believe, in New York-------groups of squatters were actually
GIVEN POSSESSION of the properties in which they squatted-----kinda like claiming a

Amazing. America is an amazing place. So if some lender repossesses your house, then can you turn around and squat in it from the next day?

Amazing. America is an amazing place. So if some lender repossesses your house, then can you turn around and squat in it from the next day?

only if you are not working and know how to "RUN A LINE" from the street (ie---steal electricity from the over head lines) Make
sure you are "judgement" immune

Aren't sovereign citizens self sufficient?

???? I have never seen or heard of the term
"SOVEREIGN CITIZENS" I am trying to work it out
Sovereignty implies autonomy. Yet these moochers are . . . well . . . mooching.

yes they are------but such activity has been sanctioned to the point that whoever owns
the property MUST, by law, provide services

This is even more interesting. So, if you are evicted in foreclosure first, then do you have to provide the services to the squatters, or does your lender have to provide the services?

???? I have never seen or heard of the term
"SOVEREIGN CITIZENS" I am trying to work it out
Sovereignty implies autonomy. Yet these moochers are . . . well . . . mooching.

yes they are------but such activity has been sanctioned to the point that whoever owns
the property MUST, by law, provide services

This is even more interesting. So, if you are evicted in foreclosure first, then do you have to provide the services to the squatters, or does your lender have to provide the services?

Properties foreclosed upon land in the court
auctions ----foreclosure auction-----the victim
who unwittingly buys the property ends up with the squatters and all their "needs"

Last edited:
Number of residence fires here in Southern Nevada came from squatters burning furniture to keep warm or cook.

there are always fires where there are squatters------they do things in a somewhat
"irregular" manner.

Most often they are. It appears that the philosophy has been hijacked and perverted in this particular iteration of the mindset.

I imagine that they're occupying the properties under the presumption that an REO is illegitimately owned by the bank, since they didn't really have the money they lent in the mortgage. How they're rationalizing thievery of belongings that aren't theirs, I can't say.

SOVEREIGN CITIZEN MOVEMENT

Actually, there is no sovereignty in the US. It was rejected by the Declaration of Independence, and there is no mention of it in the Constitution of the United States, nor the Bill of Rights.

Forum List

Back