Southerners: Happy Robert E. Lee & Confederate Heroes Day

Since I was born in the South, I'm not black, I'm not a government employee, and I celebrate MLK Day as little as I'd expect black folks to celebrate St. Patrick's Day, I'd like to extend a hearty happy Robert E. Lee Day, a happy Lee/Jackson Day, and a happy Confederate Heroes Day to all you Southerners, as well as anyone else who values their independence. This has nothing to do with white/black/whatever, it's a "Southern" thing. It's "Heritage", not "Hate" and if you have a problem with that, you obviously know nothing of the pride that comes with being born in the South.

"Robert E. Lee Day, also called Lee's Birthday, is a public holiday commemorating the birth of Robert E. Lee, observed each year on the third Monday in January.[1] Because Lee was General in Chief of the Armies of the Confederate States, it is mainly observed in the U.S. South,[2] particularly Alabama[3] and Mississippi.[4][5]"

Robert E. Lee Day - Wikipedia
"Lee–Jackson Day is a holiday celebrated in the Commonwealth of Virginia in the U.S., for the birthdays of Confederate generals Robert E. Lee and Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson.[1] The original holiday, created in 1889, celebrated Lee's birthday. Jackson's name was added to the holiday in 1904.
"

In 1983, the holiday was merged with the new Federal holiday, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, as Lee–Jackson–King Day in Virginia. This merger was reversed in 2000.[citation needed]

Lee–Jackson Day is currently observed on the Friday before Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, which is the third Monday in January. Typical events include a wreath-laying ceremony with military honors, a Civil War themed parade, symposia, and a gala ball.[2] State offices are closed for both holidays.[3]"

Lee–Jackson Day - Wikipedia

"Confederate Heroes’ Day commemorates those who died fighting for the Confederate States of America during the American Civil War. An official state holiday in Texas, Confederate Heroes’ Day has fallen annually on January 19—the birthday of Robert E. Lee—since its approval on January 30, 1931."

The Sons of Confederate Veterans and the United Daughters of the Confederacy sponsor the annual celebration of the holiday, which includes parades, reenactments in honor of past Confederate heroes, and other events."

Confederate Heroes’ Day: Texas
And on and on they go, "honoring" traitors, who took up arms against the United States of America. Lee & Company got off easy; their sorry asses should have been hung for treason!

Wrong. Secession was not illegal..

"The 10th Amendment: "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people." The power to secede was not granted to the Federal government. Therefore...it is reserved for the States..."

Was the secession of the Confederate states illegal?
The war didn't start because of secession...it started because those morons in South Carolina fired first on a Federal Installation that was doing nothing to them.

Well we told them to surrender Ft. Sumpter and they refused. Maybe next time they'll listen. :biggrin:
First of all, it's Fort Sumter...and second of all, why surrender a FEDERAL piece of property? It didn't belong to the seceding states. Or are you advocating the federal government just roll over and give up?

no

i already knew that the greedheads in the south started a war over it.

you should get out more; it's been known for about 157 years.

:lol:
Lee was a great general. Too bad he wasn't successful. The Empire we suffer under might not exist today had he been.

Had he and the other Southern generals followed a strategy of guerrilla warfare and utilized entirely defensive tactics, they might have won.
I'm not a civil war expert--but many ''weak--less powerful'' nations/groups have won by those means
what about the blockade? could the South have waited out the blockades?
Yes. The Americans won independence under a naval blockade, by the world's most powerful navy.
Secondly, had the Southern generals not fought open pitched battles that resulted in ridiculous casualties, they would have had a greater chance of success. Had they won at Sharpsburg and Gettysburg, it is likely that France, Great Britain or both would have assisted them and broken the Union blockade.
but were the Americans less dependent on maritime activity than the Confederates ?
also, the Americans had French Naval help
thanks for the replies
True the Southern economy was more dependent on trade with Europe, than was colonial America. This is another reason why they should have avoided direct contact with the Union armies, much like Washington avoided it with the British army.

I just completed this book and highly recommend it. Jackson too was a great general, but he often exposed his men to direct fire from Union artillery and rifles. The results were horrific. They should have learned early in the war to do all they could to avoid such bloodshed, but they didn't.

Jackson did not fight for slavery. He fought to protect his country from invasion, which was true for nearly all Southerns.

61+I6qjHX1L._SL500_.jpg
Except for the powers that started the war and suckered the masses into supporting it.

No matter, it's the spirit that counts. I see quite a few stars & bars flags flown from people's front yards and houses way up here in Wisconsin.
Sadly most Americans have no understanding of what the War of Northern Aggression was about. They are stuck on stupid...meaning stuck on slavery. Statism rules the day.

How can a murderous tyrannical asshole like Dishonest Abe, be considered a great president?

are you seriously claiming that the southern traitors weren't fighting to keep their slaves?

lol

talk about stuck on stupid.....

here, rufus, edumicate yourself

The Declaration of Causes of Seceding States | Civil War Trust

Cornerstone Speech - Wikipedia
Good God does the stupidity ever end?

Slavery ended EVERYWHERE in the FUCKING West, without war...except for you know who. Has your small deluded statist brain ever asked why?

no

Lee was a great general. Too bad he wasn't successful. The Empire we suffer under might not exist today had he been.

Had he and the other Southern generals followed a strategy of guerrilla warfare and utilized entirely defensive tactics, they might have won.
lee was a mediocre general at best.

an adequate tactician and a terrible strategist

Sadly most Americans have no understanding of what the War of Northern Aggression was about. They are stuck on stupid...meaning stuck on slavery. Statism rules the day.

How can a murderous tyrannical asshole like Dishonest Abe, be considered a great president?

are you seriously claiming that the southern traitors weren't fighting to keep their slaves?

lol

talk about stuck on stupid.....

here, rufus, edumicate yourself

The Declaration of Causes of Seceding States | Civil War Trust

Good God does the stupidity ever end?

Slavery ended EVERYWHERE in the FUCKING West, without war...except for you know who. Has your small deluded statist brain ever asked why?

no

lee was a mediocre general at best.

an adequate tactician and a terrible strategist
And when you look at the big picture, he only prolonged the inevitable a few years, thus killing 100,000s more.

Folks in this thread really don't understand Lee at all. He was more against the institution of Slavery than Grant was.

Hell, Grant's wife still owned them at the time of emancipation, yet Lee had divested so many years earlier.

Lee was so much more honorable than Grant in every way, it is unfathomable how folks could ever believe that Grant was better.

Lee had the honor to fight for his home, not so for Grant, Grant was a paid, opportunistic mercenary, and a bit of a drunk.

One only has to look at how they comparatively were viewed by their contemporaries at West Point and how the world military historians view them.

To the point about how the South was fighting for slavery, yes, of course that is true. However, if we look at how society treated women, children the poor, all of civilization's and society's mores were different.

What was not different was a democratic republic's, a soveriegn people's right to self-determination.

Lysander Spooner, one of the nation's foremost abolitionists, hated slavery, but understood, that using violence, to end violence, made the cause moot. The only thing the Union had any right to do was to cut the Southern states loose to let them do what they independantly choose to do.

And the slaves? In his view, it was their right, as sovereign people to rebel, and the Union's right to shelter run aways or aid rebellions. If the South wanted to declare war on the North for it's clandestine activities, that was it's business, but the non-agression principle should always come first among civilized and free people.

The North did aggress on the South by not withdrawing.

quote-a-slave-government-is-an-oligarchy-and-one-too-of-the-most-arbitrary-and-criminal-character-lysander-spooner-28-0-070.jpg

On the other hand. . . .

quote-there-is-not-in-the-constitution-a-syllable-that-implies-that-persons-born-within-the-lysander-spooner-28-1-0130.jpg

Let's not forget, it was the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT that created this mess, so it ends it with killing and mass destruction? Nice.

mere-toleration-slave-trade-make-slavery-property-man-lawful-quote-on-storemypic-b0615.png

Spooner knew none of the Southerners were traitors, I can't understand why so many seem to think they were. Are these folks dumb are uneducated? Do they not know government and sovereignty? What about freedom?

quote-a-traitor-is-a-betrayer-one-who-practices-injury-while-professing-friendship-benedict-lysander-spooner-28-0-078.jpg

As has already been stated in this thread, as humanity became wiser in the North, slavery disappeared. So too, did it else where on Earth. Likewise, it still exists in backwards regions of the Earth, and no amount of war is going to do anything about that. Spooner recognized there was a far greater threat to American society than slavery. . it was war. Today, we still bear the scar, politically, and socially of that war. Had things gone differently, I think the psychic and physical violence of that time might not have left such deep scars. The balkanization and cultural cleavages might not exist today. We might have had two nations, each with black Presidents years ago.

greatest-crimes-wars-carried-governments-plunder-enslave-destroy-mankind-quote-on-storemypic-c2b3f.png

they should have hung his sorry, racist ass when they had the chance.

The original poster never said one bad thing about that MLK guy, but y’all gotta be the ones to start insulting ones heroes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Folks in this thread really don't understand Lee at all. He was more against the institution of Slavery than Grant was.

Hell, Grant's wife still owned them at the time of emancipation, yet Lee had divested so many years earlier.

Lee was so much more honorable than Grant in every way, it is unfathomable how folks could ever believe that Grant was better.

Lee had the honor to fight for his home, not so for Grant, Grant was a paid, opportunistic mercenary, and a bit of a drunk.

One only has to look at how they comparatively were viewed by their contemporaries at West Point and how the world military historians view them.

To the point about how the South was fighting for slavery, yes, of course that is true. However, if we look at how society treated women, children the poor, all of civilization's and society's mores were different.

What was not different was a democratic republic's, a soveriegn people's right to self-determination.

Lysander Spooner, one of the nation's foremost abolitionists, hated slavery, but understood, that using violence, to end violence, made the cause moot. The only thing the Union had any right to do was to cut the Southern states loose to let them do what they independantly choose to do.

And the slaves? In his view, it was their right, as sovereign people to rebel, and the Union's right to shelter run aways or aid rebellions. If the South wanted to declare war on the North for it's clandestine activities, that was it's business, but the non-agression principle should always come first among civilized and free people.

The North did aggress on the South by not withdrawing.

quote-a-slave-government-is-an-oligarchy-and-one-too-of-the-most-arbitrary-and-criminal-character-lysander-spooner-28-0-070.jpg

On the other hand. . . .

quote-there-is-not-in-the-constitution-a-syllable-that-implies-that-persons-born-within-the-lysander-spooner-28-1-0130.jpg

Let's not forget, it was the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT that created this mess, so it ends it with killing and mass destruction? Nice.

mere-toleration-slave-trade-make-slavery-property-man-lawful-quote-on-storemypic-b0615.png

Spooner knew none of the Southerners were traitors, I can't understand why so many seem to think they were. Are these folks dumb are uneducated? Do they not know government and sovereignty? What about freedom?

quote-a-traitor-is-a-betrayer-one-who-practices-injury-while-professing-friendship-benedict-lysander-spooner-28-0-078.jpg

As has already been stated in this thread, as humanity became wiser in the North, slavery disappeared. So too, did it else where on Earth. Likewise, it still exists in backwards regions of the Earth, and no amount of war is going to do anything about that. Spooner recognized there was a far greater threat to American society than slavery. . it was war. Today, we still bear the scar, politically, and socially of that war. Had things gone differently, I think the psychic and physical violence of that time might not have left such deep scars. The balkanization and cultural cleavages might not exist today. We might have had two nations, each with black Presidents years ago.

greatest-crimes-wars-carried-governments-plunder-enslave-destroy-mankind-quote-on-storemypic-c2b3f.png
Great post. Thank you.

If only the statist would learn that war is about the health of the state.

The original poster never said one bad thing about that MLK guy, but y’all gotta be the ones to start insulting ones heroes.

"One's heroes?" You are beyond stupid and worse if your "heroes" are traitors who took up arms against the United States. Really, hanging was too good for that bunch of scum bags. They should have been boiled in all then tarred and feathered, and then hung!

"One's heroes?" You are beyond stupid and worse if your "heroes" are traitors who took up arms against the United States. Really, hanging was too good for that bunch of scum bags. They should have been boiled in all then tarred and feathered, and then hung!
See post #45

Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite ideas; its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth. This truth has been slow in the process of its development, like all other truths in the various departments of science.

but the war of southern treachery wasn't about slavery and the check is in the mail

Since I was born in the South, I'm not black, I'm not a government employee, and I celebrate MLK Day as little as I'd expect black folks to celebrate St. Patrick's Day, I'd like to extend a hearty happy Robert E. Lee Day, a happy Lee/Jackson Day, and a happy Confederate Heroes Day to all you Southerners, as well as anyone else who values their independence. This has nothing to do with white/black/whatever, it's a "Southern" thing. It's "Heritage", not "Hate" and if you have a problem with that, you obviously know nothing of the pride that comes with being born in the South.

"Robert E. Lee Day, also called Lee's Birthday, is a public holiday commemorating the birth of Robert E. Lee, observed each year on the third Monday in January.[1] Because Lee was General in Chief of the Armies of the Confederate States, it is mainly observed in the U.S. South,[2] particularly Alabama[3] and Mississippi.[4][5]"

"Lee–Jackson Day is a holiday celebrated in the Commonwealth of Virginia in the U.S., for the birthdays of Confederate generals Robert E. Lee and Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson.[1] The original holiday, created in 1889, celebrated Lee's birthday. Jackson's name was added to the holiday in 1904.
"

In 1983, the holiday was merged with the new Federal holiday, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, as Lee–Jackson–King Day in Virginia. This merger was reversed in 2000.[citation needed]

Lee–Jackson Day is currently observed on the Friday before Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, which is the third Monday in January. Typical events include a wreath-laying ceremony with military honors, a Civil War themed parade, symposia, and a gala ball.[2] State offices are closed for both holidays.[3]"

"Confederate Heroes’ Day commemorates those who died fighting for the Confederate States of America during the American Civil War. An official state holiday in Texas, Confederate Heroes’ Day has fallen annually on January 19—the birthday of Robert E. Lee—since its approval on January 30, 1931."

The Sons of Confederate Veterans and the United Daughters of the Confederacy sponsor the annual celebration of the holiday, which includes parades, reenactments in honor of past Confederate heroes, and other events."

Thank you! We are celebrating my son's 9th birthday as well as Robert E Lee's birthday. Having an pineapple upside down cake!

"

Thank you! We are celebrating my son's 9th birthday as well as Robert E Lee's birthday. Having an pineapple upside down cake!

Well tell him that the part of USMB who doesn't want him to grow up with a federal debt he'll never repay, and doesn't want him having to stand in long lines to buy groceries,says "Happy Birthday!!"

Forum List

Back