Southern Wildfires

Is enough to drive one over the edge...
icon_omg.gif

Experts warn of mental health woes as wildfires ravage South
December 4, 2016 — When U.S. Forest Ranger Jody Bandy confronted the man in the Pisgah National Forest, he said he'd been at the nearby wildfire and "couldn't take it anymore." Then he ran from the officer, tumbling head-over-head down the mountainside, into the river below and slamming into boulders in the water, Bandy said in a court affidavit.
After an ambulance took the bleeding man to a hospital, Bandy peered through the front windshield of his pickup and saw what appeared to be a suicide note on the dash, the affidavit says. The Nov. 19 encounter in western North Carolina underscores the toll these wildfires can take on people who live through them.

Many survivors need help to cope, and signs of problems such as nightmares, depression and anxiety might not show up for months, said Valerie Cole of the American Red Cross. In some ways, escaping a fire-filled forest as thousands did recently in and around Gatlinburg, Tennessee, can be more traumatic than hurricanes, floods or earthquakes, experts say. One reason: Flames spread so rapidly that people had no time to prepare. "To have your life turned upside down is much more difficult than if you had time to brace for it, and in this case I don't think people had time to brace for it," said Becky Stoll, vice president of crisis and disaster management at Centerstone, one of the nation's largest behavioral health care providers.

2ee931f2a3db4b3887ad07d2cab1fd91.jpg

Smoke rises from destroyed homes, many burned down to the foundation, the day after a wildfire that hit Gatlinburg, Tenn. Experts said that escaping a fire-filled forest, as thousands did Nov. 28 in the Great Smoky Mountains, can be more traumatic than disasters​

Then, as residents raced from the woods, they saw orange and red ribbons of fire draped over homes, rolling across mountains. "If you can see the flames nearby, that's going to be a visual image that's going to stay with you," said Cole, who helped victims of a devastating 2011 wildfire in Alberta, Canada. Those kinds of images may have long-term consequences, she said. Until Nov. 28, people in and around Gatlinburg went about their daily lives, even as the wildfire burned several miles away in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Then, in one night, everything changed. "All of the sudden, it's gone. You can't go home. Your home's not there. Your car may not be there. Your health may not be there," said Marie Williams, commissioner of the Tennessee Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services.

After an earthquake or even a tornado, survivors can often salvage a few things from damaged homes. "But when it has burned, and there are only ashes left, you can't," Cole said. In the first few days after a disaster, survivors often go into operational mode and focus on basic needs, "so that kind of carries people for a few days," Stoll said. People tend to be thankful they're alive and grateful for help putting their lives back together, Cole said. "Later on — six months, nine months down the road — that's when people get pretty frustrated, disillusioned," said Cole, who saw this process unfold as she worked with wildfire survivors in Slave Lake, Alberta, slightly larger than Gatlinburg.

MORE

Two teens are charged with starting Tennessee wildfires that killed 14...
icon8.png

Two teens are charged with starting Tennessee wildfires that killed 14 and destroyed hundreds of homes and businesses
7 December 2016
Fourteen were killed and more than 134 were injured in the Tennessee wildfires
Blaze also destroyed or damaged more than 1,700 buildings in the area
Now two juveniles have been arrested and face aggravated arson charges
Victims include Alice Hagler, who lived in Chalet Village, Gatlinburg
She had frantically called her son Monday night after the house caught fire
More than 14,000 people were forced to evacuate from resort towns of Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge as high winds fanned the flames
Dollywood was also evacuated and tourists fled the area and Dolly Parton has pledged to pay affected families $6,000
3B1424BC00000578-4011054-image-a-34_1481146905102.jpg

Authorities on Wednesday charged two juveniles in an East Tennessee wildfire that killed 14 people (Allan Rivera holds onto his son Nathan Rivera, 23 months old, as he looks at the remains of their home for the first time on Monday, December 5, in Gatlinburg, Tennessee)​

Two teenagers have been charged with starting the deadly Tennessee wildfires which killed 14 and destroyed hundreds of homes and businesses. The youths are in custody, on charges of aggravated arson, as they await a bond hearing in Juvenile Court. Prosecutors may decide to prosecute the Tennessee teens as adults in Criminal Court over the deadly blaze. An investigation had found that the fire that broke out on November 23 along the Chimney Tops trail in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park before spreading to Gatlinburg was 'human-caused.' Agents of the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation and of the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives spoke to hikers and other witnesses in the area in an intensive investigation.

3AEDD4DD00000578-4011054-image-a-33_1481146896788.jpg

Amid hurricane-force winds, the fire spread to the Gatlinburg area early last week, causing widespread damage​

The trouble began on Monday, November 23, when a wildfire - started deliberately - spread from the Great Smoky Mountains National Park into the tourist city of Gatlinburg as hurricane-force winds toppled trees and power lines, blowing embers in all directions. 'We had trees going down everywhere, power lines, all those power lines were just like lighting a match because of the extreme drought conditions. So we went from nothing to over 20-plus structure fires in a matter of minutes. And that grew and that grew and that grew,' Gatlinburg Fire Chief Greg Miller said. More than 14,000 residents and visitors in Gatlinburg were forced to evacuate the typically bustling tourist city. At least 700 buildings in that county alone have been damaged.

3ADECC8700000578-3992190-The_mountain_cable_cars_hover_over_the_burned_out_mountainside_w-m-27_1480632526412.jpg

Smoke lingered above the smoldering homes near Gatlinburg last week​

'Gatlinburg is the people; that's what Gatlinburg is. It's not the buildings, it's not the stuff in the buildings,' Mayor Mike Werner said. 'We're gonna be back better than ever. Just be patient.' From Friday, homeowners, business owners, renters and lease holders began to return to see what was left of their Gatlinburg properties, said City Manager Cindy Cameron Ogle. Great Smoky Mountains National Park Superintendent Cassius Cash had confirmed the fires were 'likely to be human-caused' but he has refused to elaborate. About 10,000 acres, or 15 square miles, burned inside the country's most visited national park. Another 6,000 acres were scorched outside of the park.

3AF0948500000578-3992190-image-m-45_1480633700879.jpg

Tennessee wildfires death toll hit 14 last week (pictured: Jesus statue was the only thing left after blaze destroyed one home)​

MORE

I hope now things are going better and all the wildfires are under control! :)

spacer.gif

Home
Login

20161206_usdm_home.png

United States Drought Monitor > Home

Esthermoon, thank you for your wishes. If the drought continues into spring, we may see a resurgence of these fires. My home ares in Oregon is still under severe drought, and we lost 282 square kilometers of forest in a fire there in 2015. Lost 43 homes, and nearly lost 3 small towns. That in a county that only has a population of 7000 in an area of 11,730 square kilometers. Unusually high winds and drought the problem in both cases.

Why should any of those thousands of families that have lost their homes to wildfires in the past two years feel any paranoia?
I wasn't talking about them, lol. A more interesting question is how would they feel about you using their suffering to further your political agenda?

My political agenda? To hand my grandchildren and great-grandchildren a better and cleaner world than was handed to me. Or at least one as good as that I was given. And I don't care about the name of the political party that does that. At present, the GOP is the party of pollution. Given President-elect's cabinet choices, it will continue to be.

My political agenda? To hand my grandchildren and great-grandchildren a better and cleaner world than was handed to me. Or at least one as good as that I was given. And I don't care about the name of the political party that does that. At present, the GOP is the party of pollution. Given President-elect's cabinet choices, it will continue to be.
Yes. Your political agenda.

Yes. Your political agenda.

It's for the children....the first 4 words in the explanation of any liberal political scam.

So, do you have no children or simply none about which you care a whit?

Forum List

Back