Southern Culture Threatens National Security

Star

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2009

“We owe it to our military not only to give them weapons, but a good pool of candidates,” Bornstein said. “It’s society’s problem to solve."

"The study, Bornstein said, indicates that the same states “that are disproportionately burdensome for public health are also burdensome for our military.”

Unfit U.S. Army recruits may pose threat to military readiness

By American Heart Association News
Obesity and physical inactivity aren’t just health issues for our country. They’re a threat to national security.

That’s the contention of a new study in the Journal of Public Health Management and Practice, and potentially, a way to focus more attention on the need to improve diet and fitness.

“Maybe you don’t care about public health or the cost of treating diseases,” said Dr. Daniel Bornstein, an exercise scientist and lead author of the study. “But if you care about military readiness and national security, you have to care about fitness.”

Bornstein, assistant professor in the Department of Health, Exercise and Sport Science at The Citadel in Charleston, South Carolina, compared fitness levels of U.S. Army recruits from each of the 50 states and the District of Columbia - based on their times completing a 2-mile run - with their rates of injuries during basic training.

“As we expected, the correlation was quite high,” he said. “Recruits from states that have been producing worse fitness outcomes were more likely to become injured in basic training.”

At the top of the list in both categories were states in the American South, a swath stretching from Texas to Florida.

Southern states often rate poorly in health statistics such as obesity, cardiovascular disease and diabetes, and experts point to factors including poverty, poor diet, less access to health care, sedentary lifestyles and a tradition of fried foods. The study, Bornstein said, indicates that the same states “that are disproportionately burdensome for public health are also burdensome for our military.”

The burdens, he said, stem both from the cost of treating those injuries and the challenge of producing an effective fighting force. It’s even worse, he said, because a significant percentage of young Americans aren’t fit enough even to try to qualify for the military -- a common career path for young people in the South -- which could hurt communities in those states.

“We owe it to our military not only to give them weapons, but a good pool of candidates,” Bornstein said. “It’s society’s problem to solve. It’s too easy to point to the individual and say, ‘You need to be more physically active.’ We must undertake policies that will create environments that will allow more people to become more physically fit.”

<snip>

The majority of Southerners hate the idea of universal healthcare, funding K-12 publicly paid for nutritionally sound breakfasts, lunches and daily physical activity... instead they prefer to be fat unhealthy lazy slobs whose are now jeopardizing our national security.

I realize there are "chubby chasers" in the world, but being "two tons of fun" is still not a good idea for one's health. And the thing is that it's not hard to actually be really fit.

The majority of Southerners hate the idea of universal healthcare, funding K-12 publicly paid for nutritionally sound breakfasts, lunches and daily physical activity... instead they prefer to be fat unhealthy lazy slobs whose are now jeopardizing our national security.
There's a recent thread on here in which the OP-er gripes about the sugary drinks tax Seattle has imposed. I wonder what that member's fitness level is and from what part of the country s/he hails culturally.

Americans are overall (on average) just flat-out obese.
  • Average American's (20-years-old and older) body measurements:
    • Men:
      • Height in inches: 69.2
        Weight in pounds: 195.7
        Waist circumference in inches: 40.0
    • Women:
      • Height in inches: 63.7
        Weight in pounds: 168.5
        Waist circumference in inches: 38.1
Another thing I've noticed anecdotally is that Americans are quite often "bitchy," unhappy about something. Now, I don't know about you, but I've long heard and believed that getting laid contributes a good deal to one's being happy, content, reasonable, calm, etc., though I don't know whether there's any empirical study(s) that have confirmed that notion.

What I do know is that were the woman with whom I had "unlimited" access to sex (or for some reason felt obliged not to look elsewhere for sex) looked like the "average woman" described above, I wouldn't be having sex at all because, like most men, I'm very visual when it comes to what inspires my sexual urges. I mean really, a 38" waist on a six foot tall dude looks gross, and one, I, (one need not be into dudes to know/say that; everyone knows what gross/ugly is in both males and females, regardless of their sexual preference), but a 38" waist doesn't become more appealing on a woman whose frame is even smaller than is a six foot man. I suspect women are equally "turned off" when they see dudes having a"dickey do;" the women I know sure are.

So, at the end of the day, if one wants to be happier to some degree, having more sex will contribute to that, and, guess what, partaking in sex is something one can do without regard to wealth or social status. Far and away, the easiest way to increase one's access to sex, or at least to increase the incidence of one's receiving indications that others would like to have sex with one, is to get fit and look sexy.

The easiest way to do that is to eat right and exercise, being "religious" about consuming fewer calories than one burns if one needs to lose weight, and then consuming as many calories as one burns once one becomes fit. If one wants to eat a lot or eat a lot of calories, fatty and/or sugary foods, fine [1], eat those things, but to do so and not become obese, one must move a lot, a helluva lot, two to three hours a day of intensive aerobics and resistance training. [2] It really is that simple. [3]

Note:
  1. Well, eating that sort of food more than infrequently actually isn't fine for one's cardiac health, but if one insists on eating that stuff, one can provided one burns the calories in those foods.
  2. Weight training that builds muscles is essential to any efforts to "look great naked" because not only is a tight and "ripped" muscular body sexy, but muscle building and use burns fat. Leg/butt muscles burn more fat than any others because they are the largest muscle group, so if one is going to develop only one muscle group, work on that one. With enough time and commitment, aerobics only can make one lean, but one'll be a flabby, skinny kid lean, not a tight, athletic lean.

And, no, ladies, there is no amount of weight lifting that's going to make you develop the stereotypical female-bodybuilder look. Even doing the most intensive workouts possible, without 'roids, the most muscular you'll look is like Janet Jackson during her "superfit" period. And besides, if you build more muscle than you want, all you have to do is cut back on the weight training because muscle mass and tone that isn't maintained disappears.

0d214af351f9251bbc71e91af1ad189d--iconic-photos-janet-jackson.jpg

JanetBuffDM0507_468x674.jpg

kanetchris.jpg

3. FWIW, one does not need a gym membership to get really fit. One's own body weight, items around one's house and whatever string/rope you can use as a jump rope is all one needs. It doesn't matter what weight one moves;, it matters that one moves it. Hell, one can have one's small children sit on one's back while doing push-ups, or have them or a friend pull against one while doing chin-ups or sit-ups, or outstretch one's arms above one's head and hold a melon to do sit-ups. All I'm saying is that poverty is not a reason to not be fit.
  • FWIW, I weigh 197 and my waist is currently 31" and I'm just over six feet tall. I'm almost 60, so it takes more work now than it used to for me to keep the fat off.

And it just gets harder! I lost my six-pack at around 60 years, and can't seem to get it back, though I weigh a bit less than I did then.

Forum List

Back