southern baptists only please

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by strollingbones, Jun 3, 2009.

1. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,954
    both my huband and i were raised as s. baps....i left at 12 the age of decision....he stayed till he was in his early or mid 20's. last night we are watching some show, where someone says, you must be reborn to be saved. (for non s. bap that means baptized and public confession of sins)

Matthew Chapter 28,verse 19, he said, "Go you therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost". The question before us is what was and is the action of that baptism commanded by Christ and his apostles. The Bible clearly describes the action of Christian baptism as a burial in water, for baptism is a likeness to the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ.

Why Be Baptized?

all hell broke loose....he says....all you must do to go to heaven is believe in jesus....

i told him he was full of shit....that one MUST BE born again to be saved. one must also accept the concept of the holy trinity....so all you other s. baps...which side do you fall on.

just have to believe in jesus

or rebirth by baptism

the main reason i am so pissed is he tosses up the fact he was a s. bap a lot longer and his father is a s. bap minister, so he knows. :cuckoo:

2. Agnapostate

Agnapostate BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +344
    I have several points of dispute with your source.

It's perhaps better to interpret the baptism described herein in the metaphorical sense, just as the observation in 1 Corinthians 10:2 that "all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea" does not reflect a literal baptism into Moses on the part of the Israelites, but rather a metaphorical unity with him as their leader. The apostle Peter's statement in 1 Peter 3:21 that "[t]here is also an antitype which now saves us - baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ..." also indicates the same mention of baptism in a metaphorical sense rather than the literal sense of water baptism.

The only explicit mention or strong insinuation of water baptism being a necessary component of salvation is found in "curious places," as your source notes.

Mark 16:9-20 is a passage not present in the oldest and most reliable manuscripts of the New Testament (which are likely specifically Codices Vaticanus and Sinaiticus, if I recall correctly), as is the case with Acts 8:37, which indicates that both sections are later scribal alterations. This may reflect a deliberate intent to introduce a doctrine of water baptism being a necessary component of salvation that was not in the original New Testament, as seems to be the case with the explicit definition of the Trinity offered in the Comma Johanneum (1 John 5:7,8).

It's ultimately preferable to interpret water baptism as serving the function of a symbol of salvation rather than being a necessary component of it. After the apostle Peter's declaration in Acts 2:38 to "[r]epent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission if sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit," it should be noted that "those who gladly received his word were baptized," indicating that acceptance of Christ necessarily preceded water baptism. We can infer the same from Acts 22:16, specifically Paul's statement that Ananias had told him to "arise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on the name of the Lord." Grammatically, the mention of "calling on the name of the Lord" precedes "arise and be baptized."

3. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,954
    after all that blah blah blah...what do you think..heaven without baptism or not?

4. Agnapostate

Agnapostate BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Nothing, because I'm an atheist. :lol:

But seriously, heaven without baptism as a necessary condition is the view with greater theological support.

5. Smartt33

Smartt33 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Before I read any of the other posts, I want to respond. Being born again is not xomething that you can do. It is something that happens when one truly recognizes Jesus as the Savior and Lord, and realizes that man is a sinner needing to be forgiven in order to have that relationship with God that gives eternal life.

Being a Southern Baptist, Chrurch of Christ member, or any other religion is of no value in this process. It is all about a relationshipo with God in Christ. Being baptized does nothing more than tell fellow believers that you have trusted the Savior as your Lord.

Jesus said "you must be born again." He went on to tell what that means. One must study the Word in order to truly understand. Being born again is done by the Holy Spirit, and it is actually the only one true baptism. We don "do" it. We don't even know exactly when it happens or what actually happens in out spirit. However, the result is a changed and transformed life every time.

You don't have to understand the trinity to be saved. Most people don't understand it. In what they understand, they do believe.

6. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,954
    does the prior poster really think i am reading that blue shit?

sorry..but i wont read it and i doubt many others will....black is the new blue

7. Agnapostate

Agnapostate BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +344
    You need stronger coffee, bones.

8. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    No she needs black print.

I'm not a southern baptist strollingbones. The Word is fairly straight forward and you know as well as most what it says. Heaven is God's throne anyone saying they will ascend to His throne is a no no but that sure does not stop them. You have these people that think I'll believe but I am only going to believe in the parts I wanna believe in.

Saved and heaven are two different talking points. This verse is very specific concerning the one who says they will ascend to God's throne.
    Isaiah 14:13-14

9. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,081
    Not.

10. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    I don't get the question. You don't have to baptised to be saved.

But being baptised is indicative of your salvation....and an act of obedience, as Jesus tells us to be baptised.

But Jesus was saved before he was baptised..still he asked John to baptise him, as an act of obedience and outward declaration of his salvation. And Jesus didn't go around baptising people himself. The baptism is symbolic. But salvation, i.e., accepting Christ into your heart, is the only thing required to be saved. You can be saved...and not be able to be baptised for whatever reasons for a long time...and if you die you are still saved, regardless of whether you actually were baptised or not.

Is that what the discussion is about? Because I found the first post confusing. But this is pretty basic Baptist stuff.