South Park

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
Anybody been watching this season so far? Good stuff, I think, some of their best. I like the way they're doing the show now, not so much shocking (though, definitely still blowing me away with its insanity) as it is just well-written and thoughtful, as well as being hilarious. I really think last season's episode where the kids were playing little league and Stan's Dad kept fighting people in the stands may be one of my favorites ever, and that was hardly dirty at all!

So, here's what I think of this season so far (with some minor spoilers)...

1. Two Days Before The Day After Tomorrow - Really great, probably the best of the season so far. The highlight for me was Stan, Cartman, and Kyle coming to "rescue" the people trapped on their roofs. I liked that it was topical and managed to rip on a crappy movie, too. "We didn't listen!!!"

2. Marjorine - The name "Marjorine" had me laughing like an idiot for about 20 minutes. Yep, that's literally all it takes. This one was okay, Butters is my favorite character, so anything where he's one of the main characters is okay to me. The old man from Pet Sematary was hilarious.

3. Follow That Egg! - Tonight's episode, very close to being my favorite. I love it when Mr. (Mrs.?) Garrison rips on gay people, it's hilarious. Garrison's speech was brilliant. "And how are we gonna do that? Let's round us up three or four queers and beat the crap outta them!" Stan's line to Wendy at the very end of the episode cracked me up, too. That, and the assassin shooting the egg out of Stan's hand.

now that their not working on outside projects like the south park movie, team america and thats my bush the episodes are better. you can look back over the years and as they are working on those three the episodes weren't as solid. some hits some misses. now that there is nothing else going on these episodes shall be good. this season is looking like it'll be a good one.

Definately hilarious as hell :thup: . My favorite parts:

1) Everyone shouting "We didn't listen!!" all the time. I don't know why that was so funny, but Lord it was. Especially Stan's dad rolling down the window just to yell it at some random guy.

2) Butters' mother freaking out when Butters "dies", then Cartman saying just "Nice." Also when his parents think he is a zombie :laugh:

"Sometimes....dead is better."

3) The stereotypical "teen parents" scenes that played out.

paraphrased

Bebe: I have to go get my hair done, you have to watch the egg for a while.
Stan: I don't wanna watch that stupid egg!
Bebe: It belongs to both of us! You have to take some responsibility!!

Wendy: I....want to see my egg.
Kyle: It's not your egg anymore!
Wendy: Yes it is! I made it!
Kyle: Just wait till the end of the week and we get an A, then you can have your egg.

now that their not working on outside projects like the south park movie, team america and thats my bush the episodes are better. you can look back over the years and as they are working on those three the episodes weren't as solid.

Yeah, this is true. I mean, they're so involved in all their projects (well, at least Trey is), it's understandable that they'd get burned out somewhere along the line.

And since you brought it up, I really wish they'd put out That's My Bush on DVD, I loved that show.

I've noticed that since they did Team America, they've been parodying more 80's movies. Off the top of my head, I can think of The Last Starfighter, Bad News Bears, Rocky, Pet Sematary, The Day After Tomorrow, and One Crazy Summer.

1) Everyone shouting "We didn't listen!!" all the time. I don't know why that was so funny, but Lord it was. Especially Stan's dad rolling down the window just to yell it at some random guy.

Anytime they have crowds of rednecks repeating stuff over and over again like that, it's hilarious.

There was the episode with the war protestors: "if you don't like it you can giiiiit out!"

And my favorite was the Goobacks episode: "They took our jobs!!!"

http://www.southparkstudios.com/

From the Comedy Central Press Release:
Cartman suffers from Gingervitus in an all-new episode of South Park premiering Wednesday, November 9 at 10:00P.M. on Comedy Central

In his classroom presentation, Cartman points to people with red hair, light skin and freckles as an inferior race in an all new episode of "South Park," entitled "Ginger Kids," premiering Wednesday, November 9 at 10:00 p.m. on Comedy Central. Cartman thinks differently when, one morning, he himself wakes up with an advanced case of Gingervitus! Unable to endure being ostracized for his looks, he rallies all Ginger Kids everywhere to fight discrimination.

Hmmm... That description doesn't really jump out at me, but then again neither did the description for Marjorine, and that one turned out to be pretty funny.

I only saw the last 10 minutes or so, but SPOILERS* that dead whale over the end credits was hilarious.

This Week on South Park: Woodland Critter Christmas

Also this Week:
Monday 9:30PM - Merry Christmas Charlie Manson
Tuesday 9:30PM - Red Sleigh Down
Wednesday 9:30PM - Christmas in Canada
Thursday 9:30PM - Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo

Bummer, that's the second repeat in a row, isn't it? Is the new season over already?

http://www.southparkstudios.com/

From the Comedy Central Press Release:
"South Park" kicks-off its tenth season with seven new episodes beginning Wednesday, March 22 at 10:00P.M.

Cartman, Kyle, Stan and Kenny return this spring to the groundbreaking series, a social satire that takes no prisoners. No stranger to controversy, the astonishingly topical “South Park” gets ready, once again, to prove nothing is off limits! The tenth season of the widely-acclaimed series premieres Wednesday, March 22 at 10:00 p.m. on Comedy Central.

Woohoo!!!!

Only 2 weeks away.

My favorite episode of ALL-TIME is "Die, Hippy. Die." The one where Cartman is trying to get rid of the hippy infestation into South PArk. All the hippies are spouting off the democrat one-liners about corporations and such. They tied it in with a parody of "The Core." Quite possibly the funniest episode of South Park i have ever seen.

Mayor "It might bring some money into the town."

Cartman "They're Hippies!!!! They dont have any money!!!"

That's awesome, and I also found out that That's My Bush is coming to DVD soon!

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,18557,00.html

"South Park" Chef Loses Voice

by Sarah Hall
Mar 13, 2006, 3:05 PM PT

South Park's Chef may have dished out his final chocolate salty ball.

Isaac Hayes, who has voiced the highly sexed cafeteria employee on the irreverent series since 1997, issued a statement Monday indicating that he has requested to be released from his contract due to what he called the show's "inappropriate ridicule of religious communities."

"There is a place in this world for satire, but there is a time when satire ends and intolerance and bigotry towards religious beliefs of others begins," the soul legend said. "Religious beliefs are sacred to people and at all times should be respected and honored. As a civil rights activist of the past 40 years, I cannot support a show that disrespects those beliefs and practices."

Though Hayes, a devout Scientologist, made no reference to specific episodes that he felt crossed the line, series creator Matt Stone had little doubt that Hayes' decision was triggered by the November 2005 episode "Trapped in the Closet," which satirized the religion's beliefs and practices and featured "cameos" by animated versions of Tom Cruise and John Travolta.

"This is 100 percent having to do with his faith of Scientology," Stone told the Associated Press. "He has no problem--and he's cashed plenty of checks--with our show making fun of Christians."

Hayes' voice was not featured in the episode, as he was reportedly unavailable due to poor health. However, in a January 2006 interview with The A.V. Club, he explained that he had tried to correct Stone and Trey Parker's misconceptions about his religion of choice.

"Guys, you have it all wrong," Hayes said he told Stone and Parker. "We're not like that. I know that's your thing, but get your information correct, because somebody might believe that s--t, you know? But I understand what they're doing. I told them to take a couple of Scientology courses, and understand what we do."

Past episodes of South Park have skewered Catholics, Jews and Mormons, among others. However, according to Stone, he and Parker "never heard a peep out of Isaac in any way until we did Scientology.

"He wants a different standard for religions other than his own, and to me, that is where intolerance and bigotry begin," Stone told the Associated Press.

Hayes, an Oscar winner and Rock and Roll Hall of Famer, got his start on South Park after heckling his agent for voiceover work in the interest of trying something different.

What was originally conceived of as a one-time appearance proved so popular that Jerome "Chef" McElroy became a reoccurring character, who has served hot lunch with a side of advice to Kenny, Kyle, Stan and Cartman for the past nine seasons.

Season 10 debuts Mar. 22, and Comedy Central has reupped the series through 2008.

In January 2006, Hayes told the New York Daily News that he loved the "humor in it, the audacity of Matt and Trey."

"Nobody is exempt from their humor," he said. "They're equal-opportunity offenders. Don't be offended by it. If you take it too seriously, you have problems."

It seems the silky-voiced crooner may have neglected to take his own advice.

"This is 100 percent having to do with his faith of Scientology," Stone told the Associated Press. "He has no problem--and he's cashed plenty of checks--with our show making fun of Christians."

:clap: :clap: :clap:
This is why I love Trey Parker and Matt Stone. The average show would've just cited "creative differences" and moved on. Here's to Matt Stone for telling the truth (as usual). I mean, really, all the way back to the first season FIRST EPISODE they were making fun of Jews. Definitely hated on Christians and Muslims plenty, too. Y'know what's funny? The Mormons, who I think got burned just as bad as anyone on South Park, are like the only ones never to complain about South Park. Pretty cool of them.

While we're on the the subject, everyone should tune in to South Park tomorrow, they're re-airing the Scientology episode that they almost got sued for. Props to Comedy Central for not only showing it, but also for using the suit as advertising material. New season starts soon, right?

While we're on the subject, this is pretty old, but I'm glad to see things work out for them.

Boycott backfires: South Park gets record audience
Last Updated Thu, 23 Feb 2006 15:01:13 EST
CBC Arts

An appeal from the Catholic Church for New Zealanders to boycott an episode of South Park has resulted in a record audience there for the controversial cartoon.

The "Bloody Mary" episode of South Park drew more than six times the normal audience, New Zealand broadcaster TV Works announced Thursday.

The episode, which aired Wednesday night, was seen by 210,000 viewers, according to Rick Friesen, the broadcaster's chief operating officer.

"I expected a bit of a rise, but not that much," he told the Associated Press.

In the past month, he said, an average South Park episode typically draws about 32,500 viewers to the network's C4 youth channel.

During Wednesday night's broadcast, however, more than 350 people protested outside the TV Works headquarters in Auckland.

The protest centred on a statue of the Virgin Mary, with participants — clutching Bibles and religious icons — singing hymns, reciting the rosary and offering other prayers.

A Catholic priest who led the protesters in prayer asked God to enlighten those responsible for the cartoon "and strengthen them to see how much harm they can do."

Last weekend, New Zealand's Roman Catholic bishops issued a letter urging parishioners to boycott the channel and its sponsors. The Federation of Islamic Associations of New Zealand also protested the episode and said it was deeply offensive.

The South Park episode revolves around a nearby town's discovery that a statue of the Virgin Mary has begun bleeding. The event is dubbed a miracle and the people flock to see the statue, including Pope Benedict XVI, who ultimately pronounces that the statue is menstruating.

In December, the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights condemned the episode's debut in the U.S.

The satirical, Emmy Award-winning South Park was created by Matt Stone and Trey Parker, who write, produce and provide voices for the show.

The provocative cartoon, about a group of foul-mouthed fourth graders living in the fictional small town of South Park, Colo., lampoons current events and famous figures, but Stone and Parker have said that many of the regular characters are based on people they knew while growing up in Colorado.

South Park airs on Comedy Central in the U.S. and the Comedy Network in Canada.

New Zealand's TV Works is a subsidiary of CanWest MediaWorks, which is majority owned by Winnipeg-based CanWest Global Communications.

Last summer, New Zealand's Catholic Church called for a boycott of the C4 youth channel for airing another cartoon series: the BBC-produced Popetown, a satire about life in the Vatican.

Then again, it's not like Chef has been a relevant character on the show for years. His presence probably won't be missed too much.

If I can stand the Virgin Mary menstruating on Pope Benedict's face Isaac Hayes can stand some laughter at L. Ron Hubbard and Zenu.

Hayes=lame

Forum List

Back