South Park vs. the Catholics

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
It's kinda old news now, but we never discussed the protests that the last new episode of South Park is causing. Basically, in the episode, Stan's Dad becomes and alcoholic, and travels to a supposedly "miraculous" statue of the Virgin Mary. Only, it's miraculous because it's bleeding out of its ass. At the end of the episode, the Pope visits South Park, checks out the statue and decides (and I'm quoting here) "the statue is not miraculous because she's bleeding out her vagina, not her butt. Chicks bleeding out their vaginas is not a miracle."

So, the day after it aired, the Catholic groups sent some angry letters and threatened to sue Comedy Central if they didn't take it off the air. Recently, they did a mini-marathon that the show was scheduled for, but they didn't show it. But, they claim they're not backing down. The Catholic groups have gone to the head of Viacom now, so it's really becoming a huge thing. Here's the latest...

From IMDB:

Comedy Central has contradicted boasts by conservative religious groups that they were responsible for pressuring the Viacom-owned cable network to yank an episode of South Park from its regular rotation. The episode, titled "Bloody Mary," which originally aired on Dec. 7, concerns the father of one of the South Park tykes who visits a statue of a bleeding Virgin Mary in the hope that it can cure him of his drinking habit. Protesters took their case to Viacom board member Joseph Califano, a former Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare, who called the episode "appalling and disgusting" and said that he would discuss it with Viacom chief Tom Freston. But on Monday, Comedy Central executives insisted that they had not yanked the episode, but had only removed it from the annual South Park marathon "in deference to the holidays." In a letter to viewers who expressed outrage that the channel had caved in to pressure, the executives said: "Despite misleading claims from those who would like to claim victory, we have not permanently shelved the 'Bloody Mary' episode from future airings due to outside pressure, nor will we exclude it from future DVD releases. ... As satirists, we believe that it is our First Amendment right to poke fun at any and all people, groups, organizations and religions and we will continue to defend that right."

Any thoughts? I really didn't think the episode was all that entertaining, but I knew for sure that it was going to offend a LOT of people. But, I'm siding with Comedy Central on this, it's a show that, despite what most people seem to think, is definitely for adults, and as such, they should be allowed to say what they want.

Dan said:
It's kinda old news now, but we never discussed the protests that the last new episode of South Park is causing. Basically, in the episode, Stan's Dad becomes and alcoholic, and travels to a supposedly "miraculous" statue of the Virgin Mary. Only, it's miraculous because it's bleeding out of its ass. At the end of the episode, the Pope visits South Park, checks out the statue and decides (and I'm quoting here) "the statue is not miraculous because she's bleeding out her vagina, not her butt. Chicks bleeding out their vaginas is not a miracle."

So, the day after it aired, the Catholic groups sent some angry letters and threatened to sue Comedy Central if they didn't take it off the air. Recently, they did a mini-marathon that the show was scheduled for, but they didn't show it. But, they claim they're not backing down. The Catholic groups have gone to the head of Viacom now, so it's really becoming a huge thing. Here's the latest...

Any thoughts? I really didn't think the episode was all that entertaining, but I knew for sure that it was going to offend a LOT of people. But, I'm siding with Comedy Central on this, it's a show that, despite what most people seem to think, is definitely for adults, and as such, they should be allowed to say what they want.

I guess I see why the group would get upset, but if the show is that offensive to begin with, why are they watching it? No one is immune on that show. Everyone is up for bashing/teasing/slander, though I do think M&T lean a bit more into the right than the left.

I haven't seen that particular episode, but it kind of reminds me of a couple parts from the movie where they are openly discriminatory and no one (to my knowledge) wanted the movie to be pulled:

"Well, your moms are probably all on their periods or something."-Mr. Garrison
"Mr Garrison, Wendy and I think that was a sexist statement."-Yardale kid
"Well, I'm sorry Wendy. I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die." -Mr. Garrison
"Hey! Don't call me fat you fuckin' Jew!"-Cartman
"Eric, did you just say the f-word?"-Mr. Garrison
"...(thinking) Jew?"-Cartman
"Dude, what the fuck is wrong with German people?"-Stan
Then there's the part in the movie where the general is telling all the recruits the war plan, and Battalion 5 is all black people, part of Operation Human Shield, and Battalion 14 is all the white people, part of Operation Get Behind the Darkies.

Yeah, it does seem odd. It's not even like this is the first time they targeted Catholics! I guess they just saw this as being a very blatant attack, or at least a blatant attempt to be offensive (which it, admittedly, sort of seemed to be).

Dan said:
Yeah, it does seem odd. It's not even like this is the first time they targeted Catholics! I guess they just saw this as being a very blatant attack, or at least a blatant attempt to be offensive (which it, admittedly, sort of seemed to be).
Considering the rerun of Jesus vs. Satan in the boxing ring was on last night, and that both are recurring characters. I almost would think the liberals would want to boycott (sigh...) the show because they use religous symbols/symbolism.

If anyone has a right to complain about that show it's Jewish people. At least the Catholic jokes are spaces out a bit, there's a crack on Jews in every episode.

They do a pretty good job of laughing at everyone.

Did anyone see the show where they try to get the pig and elephant to mate? Chef says "Man, now I know how those white women must have felt"

Dan said:

I agree with you that the episode just wasn't funny but rather crude in it's attempt to shock the audience. Im not sure if Catholics are upset becasue they think kids will see it or they just find it unecessarily demeaning to Catholics.
I guess I fall on the side that people have a right to protest what they want, and Comedy Central has a right to show what they want as long as it meets the criteria of the FCC??

I agree with you that the episode just wasn't funny but rather crude in it's attempt to shock the audience. Im not sure if Catholics are upset becasue they think kids will see it or they just find it unecessarily demeaning to Catholics.

Well, that's just my opinion. I did think the episode had some funny stuff in it, but it was all in Stan trying to deal with his Dad. The stuff with the Virgin Mary just seemed shocking. Even though I definitely like edgier humor, I actually appreciate South Park better when they're not shocking or offensive, like the Little League episode (my favorite episode, by the way). They even made a point of not having anybody swear in that episode and it was still brilliant.

But, to be fair, isn't anything that they do on South Park "unnecessarily demeaning"? As important as I think it is, it's not like they're changing the world by making fun of Jews or Paris Hilton or anything, y'know? None of it is particularly "necessary".

I guess I fall on the side that people have a right to protest what they want, and Comedy Central has a right to show what they want as long as it meets the criteria of the FCC??

I have no qualms with them protesting, but it's their threats to sue Viacom and Comedy Central if the episode is released on DVD, shown again, etc. that really stick in my craw.

And, technically, since they're a cable network, the FCC does not have any jurisdiction over the content aired. That's why they were able to air the episode where they said "shit" about 200 times.

Dan..And, technically, since they're a cable network, the FCC does not have any jurisdiction over the content aired. That's why they were able to air the episode where they said "shit" about 200 times

You raise a good point, even though they are not accountable to the FCC they must fall under the umbrella of decency standards, otherwise we would be hearing much more than "shit".... Although I did hear Chapelle's stand up one night and it was not edited at all so I would guess they do it on a voluntary self governing basis?

Yes, Saturday nights on Comedy Central, they have what they call their Secret Stash, they show comedy specials or movies completely unedited.

Really, I think shows like Nip/Tuck or The Shield would be far more scarring for a child to see than anything South Park's ever done, not that any of these should EVER be watched by children.

Forum List

Back