South Park Parked by Complaints

Abbey Normal

Jul 9, 2005
Mid-Atlantic region
Did Comedy Central grant the Catholic League its Christmas wish?

Following the Dec. 7 season finale of South Park, titled "Bloody Mary," the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights slammed the network for its irreverent portrayal of church icons and sought to block the episode from being rebroadcast.

It appears the group may have met with success. A repeat of the finale was scheduled to air Wednesday night, but was seemingly pulled from the Comedy Central lineup without explanation.

In the episode, a statue of the Virgin Mary is believed to be bleeding from its rear end, inspiring faithful parishioners to flock from miles around to be healed by the miraculous blood.

Eventually, Pope Benedict XVI is called in to investigate, whereupon he determines that the statue is actually menstruating and thus is nothing special.

"A chick bleeding out her vagina is no miracle," the pope declares in the episode. "Chicks bleed out their vaginas all the time."

Somewhat predictably, the Catholic League was incensed by the satirical portrayal of the Virgin Mary and the pope and by the fact that the episode aired on the day before the Catholic Church celebrated its Feast of the Immaculate Conception.

The conservative group demanded an apology from Viacom, Comedy Central's parent company, to Roman Catholics everywhere and "a pledge that this episode be permanently retired and not be made available on DVD."

The Catholic League also sought a personal condemnation from Viacom board member Joseph A. Califano Jr., who the group noted is a "practicing Catholic."

Califano was only too happy to oblige. After viewing the episode, he released a statement calling the episode an "appalling and disgusting portrayal of the Virgin Mary."

"It is particularly troubling to me as a Roman Catholic that the segment has run on the eve and day of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, a holy day for Roman Catholics," Califano said.

Califano also pledged to have Viacom president and CEO Tom Freston review the episode.

Comedy Central did not respond to a request for comment on why "Bloody Mary" was yanked from the schedule.

Screencaps of the episode were no longer available on Comedy Central's press site, or on comedycentral.com's South Park section.

The Catholic League previously tangled with Comedy Central in 2002 over a South Park episode titled "Red Hot Catholic Love," but failed to produce any results.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20051229/en_tv_eo/18055

Well........if South Park only picked on Catholics I think they'd have a point. But after the Mel Gibson "Passion of the Christ" episode where Cartman dresses like Hitler and tries to kill the Jews and Kyle decides he doesn't want to be Jewish anymore cause "we killed Jesus". I think everything is even.

man i thought that was hillarious. It made fun of people who think alcoholism is a disease equivalent with cancer and such. It also made fun of people who buy into these phony miracles.

South Park rips on everyone. So Catholic league can get offended if they want. IT just makes them look like even bigger douchebags then when they get Opie and Anthony fired over a couple faking sex in the church.

It only means that Catholics are more sensitive than the Jewish people. They creamed the Jewish religion earlier. Shoot they didn't complain when they showed Christ as a wimp that couldn't beat Satan in a boxing match except when Satan cheated.

no1tovote4 said:
It only means that Catholics are more sensitive than the Jewish people. They creamed the Jewish religion earlier. Shoot they didn't complain when they showed Christ as a wimp that couldn't beat Satan in a boxing match except when Satan cheated.

They didnt complain when christ died to save "Santa Claus" from an Iraqi torture chamber on Christmas.

See, we all have what's called "a sense of humor." It's like what I recall somebody saying in a Family Guy episode in response to something Peter said.

"Why, that's offensive. I should do something."
"Bob, there's nothing you can do."
"You're right. Maybe I should...get a sense of humor or something."

Hobbit said:
See, we all have what's called "a sense of humor." It's like what I recall somebody saying in a Family Guy episode in response to something Peter said.

"Why, that's offensive. I should do something."
"Bob, there's nothing you can do."
"You're right. Maybe I should...get a sense of humor or something."

Ive seen every episode of Family Guy like 10 times. Which episode was that? Its hard to remember out of context.

Pale Rider said:
why anyone watches this inane, sophmoric, tasteless and unhumorous crap in the first place is beyond me.
Oh c'mon! the "cripple fight" episode is one of the best ones! Timmy vs Jimmy!

yeah its tasteless & sophomoric, but thats what makes it funny. I like watching it just because it allows me to relax and have some laughs without having to consciously think. Plus the show (and movie) has some of the best one-liners ever.

fuzzykitten99 said:
Oh c'mon! the "cripple fight" episode is one of the best ones! Timmy vs Jimmy!

yeah its tasteless & sophomoric, but thats what makes it funny. I like watching it just because it allows me to relax and have some laughs without having to consciously think. Plus the show (and movie) has some of the best one-liners ever.

They put ZERO effort into making it visually appealing, and the humor... well... lets just say you and I do NOT have the same sense of humor. S.P. is NOT funny.

this is just more PC bullshit, heaven forbid they ever make fun of muslims, the koran or arabs on the show, they'll probably have suicide bombers coming to blow them up.

the catholic leadership needs to grow up and start protecting those little boys. how come they weren't so incensed when these priests are still walking free after ravaging countless children's lives?

NATO AIR said:
...the catholic leadership needs to grow up and start protecting those little boys. how come they weren't so incensed when these priests are still walking free after ravaging countless children's lives?

They should be upset about both.

Abbey Normal said:
They should be upset about both.

Why waste time on South Park. Its a cartoon and it rips on Uptight, humorless individuals such as the catholic leadership, PC Culture, Jews, Arabs, blacks, politicians, and anyone without a sense of humor. By coming out and denouncing this episode they merely get their point proven that they are uptight and humorless. The best thing they could have done was ignore it completely.

South Park is here to stay and i thank god that it is. In the age of Political Correctness, South Park offers a safe haven of criticism that no one can silence.

The greatest line that ive heard from the Creator Tre Parker in an interview was "We rip on anyone. We hate conservatives but we REALLY Fucking hate liberals."

insein said:
Why waste time on South Park. Its a cartoon and it rips on Uptight, humorless individuals such as the catholic leadership, PC Culture, Jews, Arabs, blacks, politicians, and anyone without a sense of humor. By coming out and denouncing this episode they merely get their point proven that they are uptight and humorless. The best thing they could have done was ignore it completely.

South Park is here to stay and i thank god that it is. In the age of Political Correctness, South Park offers a safe haven of criticism that no one can silence.

The greatest line that ive heard from the Creator Tre Parker in an interview was "We rip on anyone. We hate conservatives but we REALLY Fucking hate liberals."

We need another movie from them like "Team America". And I didn't even like it that much, but I LOVED how it pissed off all those liberals and uptight bastards.

NATO AIR said:
We need another movie from them like "Team America". And I didn't even like it that much, but I LOVED how it pissed off all those liberals and uptight bastards.

I laughed out loud watching Team America. It was great. Skewered everyone.

Maybe I'm strange... but I just can NOT see the humor in any of it. I think it's assinine.

Pale Rider said:
Maybe I'm strange... but I just can NOT see the humor in any of it. I think it's assinine.

Here's the greatest thing about America!!! You are allowed to think that just like most of the rest of us are allowed to think its funny.

What's even better is that if you dont like it dont watch it!!!!

Personnaly I think it's funny as hell. They do crack on everyone so no one group should be up-in-arms over their feeling getting hurt. :thup: :laugh:

Forum List

Back