Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Links at site:

http://alanesq.livejournal.com/220598.html

Alan, Esq. ([info]alanesq) wrote,
@ 2006-04-13 14:39:00
Previous Entry Add to memories! Next Entry
Comedy Central Pusses Out.
Update: Welcome Instapundit readers. Are you surprised as much as I am that Glenn Reynolds never really watched the show?

nomohammed

First, The Catholics came for South Park and I did not speak out because my head was in the sand.
Then, the Scientologists came for South Park and did not speak out because my head was in the sand.
Then, the Muslims came for South Park and I did not speak out because my head was in the sand.
Then, when I pulled my head out of the sand and turned on Comedy Central to watch South Park and it was gone.

After watching last night's South Park, it was unclear whether or not the image of Mohammed was censored, or whether it was part of the gag. Well, it turns out that it was the network who censored the image. Malkin has a complete rundown complete with news links to other bloggers and how you can contact the network. The most ironic aspect of this is that Mohammed is depicted in their episode "Super Best Friends" which makes fun of David Blaine. In fact, the clip of Mohammed is part of the opening credits. Don't you just love the inconsistency of censorship.

Perhaps Cartman is right that this will spell the end of Family Guy South Park. He argued that once one "offended" group gets an episode censored, then each new group that gets offended will also demand their episode also gets pulled. First it was the Catholics, then it was the Scientologists, and now it is the Muslims. I don't see South Park having much of a future in these circumstances. In fact, we are seeing a twisted version of Pastor Martin Niemöller's, "First They Came for the Jews". (see above) However, in this version, the victim is free speech.

While I would certainly miss the show, I am more fearful at how successful extremists are becoming at squelching free speech. Granted, it's not technically "censorship" since it is not a government ban on speech. However, this private form of censorship is much more insidious and sadly is more effective.

http://media.nationalreview.com/094921.asp

Media Blog
Stephen Spruiell Reporting
The Markup
Comedy Central Censored Mohammed

I'm not sure if it's been reported yet, but for what it's worth, I just got off the phone with a Comedy Central spokesman. I asked him about last night's episode of South Park in which, at a moment right before the prophet Mohammed was supposed to make a cameo, the words, "Comedy Central has refused to broadcast an image of Mohammed on their network" appeared on the screen.

I asked him whether this truly was Comedy Central's decision or whether this was just another gag (with South Park, you never know). He said:

They reflected it accurately. That was a Comedy Central decision.

Just in case there was any confusion, that settles it. Comedy Central censored the image.

The Volokh Conspiracy and Captain's Quarters have more. And needless to say, I thought the episode was brilliant.

UPDATE: Michelle Malkin has lots of commentary, plus the video.

UPDATE II: More here.
[ 04/13/2006 12:15 PM ]

http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2006_04_09-2006_04_15.shtml#1144900882

[Jim Lindgren, April 13, 2006 at 12:01am] 15 Trackbacks / Possibly More Trackbacks
Did Comedy Central Censor South Park?

Did Comedy Central censor tonight's episode of South Park? The answer would appear to be YES.

[UPDATE: In response to my inquiries whether the statement aired on South Park on Wednesday night was accurate, early this morning an official with media relations at Comedy Central gave me an evasive answer, "Well, not exactly." He then referred me to a Comedy Central VP who wasn't answering his phone.

But Stephen Spruiell at NRO now has a confirmation of the censorship claim made on South Park (and first posted here on VC on Wednesday night).

A spokesman for Comedy Central told NRO:

They reflected it accurately. That was a Comedy Central decision.

NRO goes on to say: "Just in case there was any confusion, that settles it. Comedy Central censored the image."

Comedy Central has now released a brief statement:

"In light of recent world events, we feel we made the right decision." ]

In Wednesday's episode, part II of "Cartoon Wars," Kyle (one of the boys of South Park) persuades the President of Fox TV to run a Family Guy episode with a short scene including Mohammed. Kyle lectures the head of FOX about the importance of free speech:

"You can't do what he wants just because he's the one threatening you with violence. . . .

Yes, people can get hurt. That's how terrorism works. But if you give in to that, Doug, you're allowing terrorism to work. . . .

Do the right thing, Mr. President. . . .

If you don't show Mohammed, then you've made a distinction between what is OK to make fun of and what isn't. Either it's all OK or none of it is. Do the right thing."

At the point in the South Park episode where Mohammed is about to be shown handing a football helmet (with a salmon on top of it) to the Family Guy, the screen shows these words:

"In this shot, Mohammed hands a football helmet to Family Guy."

The next screen shows these words:

"Comedy Central has refused to broadcast an image of Mohammed on their network."

In the South Park episode, President Bush then sees the image of Mohammed supposedly broadcast on Family Guy (which Comedy Central censored us from seeing) and says,

"Hey, that wasn't bad at all. They just showed Mohammed standing there, looking normal."

Al Qaeda retaliates by broadcasting its own cartoon showing Americans, President Bush, and Jesus "crapping" on each other and the American flag.

"Al-Zawahri" then praises his retaliatory cartoon:

"Oh Yeah. Take THAT! We Burned you! That was way funnier than Family Guy."

Thus, from the South Park episode itself, it appears that tonight: "Comedy Central has refused to broadcast an image of Mohammed on their network." To be certain of this, one would want confirmation from Comedy Central or the South Park creators.

Tonight's episode is being rebroadcast on Comedy Central at midnight ET Wednesday night and 10pm ET Thursday night.

It should be noted that a 2001 episode of South Park included Mohammed.

UPDATE: As one of the comments below notes, Comedy Central apparently allows South Park to show Jesus defacating on others and being defacated on, but prohibits showing Mohammed "just standing there, looking normal."

Unfortunately, until Comedy Central or Matt Stone and Trey Parker make clear whether South Park was indeed censored, one can't know for sure. The "play within a play" format renders things a tad uncertain.

FURTHER UPDATE: There is much more at

Malkin (including clips and links).

comedycentral0050fo.jpg

Update II: Here's another clip from the show which Comedy Central did find acceptable involving Jesus and defecation.
Links here:

http://michellemalkin.com/archives/004982.htm

Fascinating interview a few years back in "the Onion," for those familiar with that publication, in which Trey Parker talked about poking fun at Jews. It went over about as well as poking fun at Muslims.

Only Christians can be bashed with impunity.

I've heard far more about south park than I've seen. I've stopped and watched a few seconds of it when channel surfing, but that's it. I think it's one of the stupidest things I've ever seen on TV.

Pale Rider said:
I've heard far more about south park than I've seen. I've stopped and watched a few seconds of it when channel surfing, but that's it. I think it's one of the stupidest things I've ever seen on TV.

Thats ok pale. It basically is the last pure bastion of Free Speech in Television. Slowly though its being eroded away just like everything else on TV. We will look back 50 years from now and realize just how important South Park was in the fight to maintain truly FREE Speech.

insein said:
Thats ok pale. It basically is the last pure bastion of Free Speech in Television. Slowly though its being eroded away just like everything else on TV. We will look back 50 years from now and realize just how important South Park was in the fight to maintain truly FREE Speech.

I realize people watch it for what is said, but I just can't get past the incredibly ridiculous, 2-D, farcical cartoon caricatures. It's as if the producers are TRYING to see just how daffy they could animate it, and still make people watch just because their script pushed the envelope.

http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/opedcolumnists/62417.htm

Made the Op-Ed of NY Post:
COWARDLY CENTRAL

By MICHELLE MALKIN

April 14, 2006 -- CENSORING 'SOUTH PARK' AGAIN

I'VE never been a "South Park" fan, but the animated show's last two episodes on Comedy Central had me hooked. Creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker keyed off the continuing conflagration over the Mohammed cartoons (published last fall by the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten) to lambaste their own network's capitulation to Islamic terrorism.

Viewers are viciously, deservedly, mocking the network for its cave-in. "Comedhimmi Central," jibed one of my Web site readers. "Cowardly Central," derided Canadian blogger Damian Penny.

The plot of Wednesday's show revolved around Kyle (one of the "South Park" kids) trying to convince a Fox network executive to air an uncensored episode of the animated show "Family Guy," even though it contained an image of Mohammed. (Many Muslims consider it blasphemy to depict Mohammed, though his image has appeared in art, architecture, and literature throughout the ages with nary a peep.)

"Do the right thing! Show Mohammed!" implores Kyle, as his nemesis, Cartman, pulls out a gun to force the network executive to pull the offending episode. (There's also a must-see send-up of the White House press corps.)

After much anguish, the Fox exec agrees to air the show - but, in place of the planned image of Mohammed, a black slate appears to announce: "Comedy Central has refused to broadcast an image of Mohammed on their network."

Prior to the start of the true-life Cartoon Jihad, "South Park" had featured cartoon images of Mohammed without incident. A 2001 episode titled "Super Best Friends" featured the Muslims' prophet as a superhero with flame powers. No fatwas ensued; no suits complained. But when Parker and Stone wanted a Mohammed image for their latest show, Comedy Central balked.

According to the Associated Press: "Parker and Stone were angered when told by Comedy Central several weeks ago that they could not run an image of Muhammad. . . . The network's decision was made over concerns for public safety, the person said. Comedy Central said in a statement issued yesterday: 'In light of recent world events, we feel we made the right decision.' "

"Recent world events" is the phrase tiptoeing television executives use when referring to the insane embassy burnings, deadly riots, and murder-minded Muslim fanatics who wielded machetes and placards threatening to "BEHEAD ALL THOSE WHO INSULT ISLAM" over a bunch of cartoons in Denmark mildly critical of Islamofascism.

Parker and Stone vividly underscored Comedy Central's selective standards of religious sensitivity by featuring offensive images on Wednesday's show that the network did not choose to censor even during Easter Week - images of Jesus Christ defecating on President Bush and the American flag. The real-life analogy is The New York Times, which has blithely run photos of the Virgin Mary coated in animal dung while refusing to run the Mohammed cartoons out of respect for Islam and a need to "refrain from gratuitous assaults on religious symbols."

Christians, you see, don't have politically correct protected status. That privilege is bestowed only on riotous Muslims and celebrity Scientologists (Comedy Central recently pulled a "South Park" episode satirizing the latter). In fact, the day after the Mohammed "South Park" blackout, MTV (owned by Comedy Central's parent company, Viacom) announced plans to air a pope-bashing cartoon in Germany depicting the pontiff as a pogo-stick-riding loon.

And when Catholics complained recently about an episode mocking the Virgin Mary, Comedy Central proudly stated: "As satirists, we believe that it is our First Amendment right to poke fun at any and all people, groups, organizations and religions and we will continue to defend that right." As Parker and Stone showed us this week, however, that depends on the meaning of "all."

The show was provocative and entertaining. The creators of "South Park" deserve kudos for exposing Comedy Central's hypocrisy.

But for those who have lived the bloody consequences, bowing to Islamic terrorism is no laughing matter.

Pale Rider said:
I realize people watch it for what is said, but I just can't get past the incredibly ridiculous, 2-D, farcical cartoon caricatures. It's as if the producers are TRYING to see just how daffy they could animate it, and still make people watch just because their script pushed the envelope.

Dude, watch the South Park movie. It was 10x funnier than any episode I've seen.

theHawk said:
Dude, watch the South Park movie. It was 10x funnier than any episode I've seen.

The movie kicked ass, but there have been plenty of episodes that were better. My personal Fav was "Die, hippy Die: when South park is invaded by college hippies on spring break that have a hippy jamfest that threatens to destroy the town. The whole scenario plays out like the movie "the core." Cartman builds a drilling machine to get through the hippy crowd to the stage where they can play slayer to disperse the hippies before all of south park is destroyed. Funniest episode ive ever seen of south park.

theHawk said:

I didn't even know there was a movie, probably won't watch it nevertheless.

Matt and Trey are great.

They knew no American mainstream media would let them show mohammed since the Danish riots anymore.

The head in the sand, bow before the muslims metaphor was a nice setup
for the first part.

Then they have Jesus defacating on George Bush while the Muslim non offensive part is censored.

Well they made the conservative point that it is ok to discriminate against
christian in the media but the cherished minorities of the left cant be talked
about or ridiculed.

Still a sad day for the land of the free.
Not even a comedy channel can make fun of muslims.

nosarcasm said:
Matt and Trey are great.

They knew no American mainstream media would let them show mohammed since the Danish riots anymore.

The head in the sand, bow before the muslims metaphor was a nice setup
for the first part.

Then they have Jesus defacating on George Bush while the Muslim non offensive part is censored.

Well they made the conservative point that it is ok to discriminate against
christian in the media but the cherished minorities of the left cant be talked
about or ridiculed.

Still a sad day for the land of the free.
Not even a comedy channel can make fun of muslims.

I agree. IF they take their POV to HBO, I'll pay the extra on my cable bill. ;)

theHawk said:
the movie was the best...Satan and Saddam's little love affair..."Heeeeyyy Satan!"

I kind of lost interest in the actual show after seeing the movie, because it felt like none of the episodes after that, could top the humor and jokes of the movie, because of censorship, etc.

But I do like the earlier episodes of SP, like Cripple Fight, and the one where Big Gay Al couldn't be the kids' scout camper leader because he's gay, and the first episode that makes fun of Babs Streisand...yeah, i know the animation is not the greatest bit that's not what I watch(ed) it for. Its seems funnier that way anyhow...

It's really sad that Comedy Central is censoring themselves like this. They had the opportunity to impress both sides by refusing to cater to ANYBODY, but instead they'd rather just stick their heads in the sand.

That's a fair assessment. I think there are a few reasons for the horrible animation:

1) sometimes it is funny, just in a juvenile, 'look how bad it is' kinda way.

2) this look allows them to make these episodes very easily. Shows like The Simpsons or Family Guy take about six months to make a single episode because they send them overseas to be animated. South Park is all done in one studio and it takes around a week to make an episode. They wouldn't be able to comment on current events if they didn't have this work schedule.

3) the show has some very disturbing material that's easier to see as a joke when it's being presented in such an elementary way. For example, there was an episode where Cartman, an eight-year-old boy, gives Ben Affleck a handjob. This would not have been funny at all if the animation wasn't as crappy as it is.

Forum List

Back