South LA Wants to Ban Fast Food Joints

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
L.A. wants yearlong fast food ban - Food Inc. - MSNBC.com

Is Cali a "Nanny State?"

LOS ANGELES - In the impoverished neighborhood of South Los Angeles, fast food is the easiest cuisine to find — and that's a problem for elected officials who see it as an unhealthy source of calories and cholesterol.

The City Council was poised to vote Tuesday on a moratorium on new fast-food restaurants in a swath of the city where a proliferation of such eateries goes hand-in-hand with obesity

Yeah, that'll work.

Then, instead of fast food outlets there will be more boarded up buildings.

It means the state acts as your nanny, your overseer, and protects you from yourself by using law to make "healthy" or "wise" decisions for you. It's big brother.

What is a "Nanny State"? Sounds like something rush or bill'o would say, but I'm really sure what it means.

From Wiki:

For example, politically conservative or libertarian groups in the United States (especially paleoconservatives that support the free market and capitalism) object to excessive state action to protect people from the consequences of their actions by restricting citizen options.

Liberals on the other hand have used the term to describe the state as being excessive in its protections of businesses and the business class —protections ostensibly made against the public good, and the good of consumers. This usage applies to the international context as well, where the "public good" is used to refer to people in general, and where the state is viewed as being excessive in its protection of native business over foreign (rival) businesses.

The term "Nanny State" was probably coined by the Conservative British MP Iain Macleod who wrote "what I like to call the nanny state . . ." in his column "Quoodle" in the December 3, 1965 edition of The Spectator.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanny_state

Oh. I should have figured you would know what a "nanny state" is. :eusa_shifty:

Granny, you and AllieBabba should go on the road as a comedy team!

You two posting to each other crack me up! Thank you for the laughs, and don't EVER change! :clap2:

It's unconstitutional. Where in the Constitution does it say the government can decide what you can and cannot eat. Other than the FDA saying what's dangerous and not, there is not logical or lawful reason that they can stop you from eating a hamburger, and/or spend your money at a fast food restaurant.

Unless the fast food restaraunts are breeding grounds for violent hamburger deaths, then I don't see this going anywhere. If it does, than I would believe it to be an infringement on their rights.

It's unconstitutional. Where in the Constitution does it say the government can decide what you can and cannot eat. Other than the FDA saying what's dangerous and not, there is not logical or lawful reason that they can stop you from eating a hamburger, and/or spend your money at a fast food restaurant.

Unless the fast food restaraunts are breeding grounds for violent hamburger deaths, then I don't see this going anywhere. If it does, than I would believe it to be an infringement on their rights.

I had to :shock: laugh out loud :shock: reading your post. While watching your "signature" video .... you just might need someone "watching what you eat"! :eek:

I had to :shock: laugh out loud :shock: reading your post. While watching your "signature" video .... you just might need someone "watching what you eat"! :eek:

LOL. I didn't catch that coincidence. It worked out nicely though.

I posted it show what happens when I read some people's posts on these threads.

Forum List

Back