South Dakota bill would legalize murder

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
Killing a doctor who performs abortions could soon be legal in South Dakota -- that is, if a bill passed out of committee in the state House of Representatives on Monday, which makes it a "justifiable homicide" for someone to kill anyone attempting to harm an unborn child, becomes law.
State Rep. Phil Jensen (R), who introduced the bill, was quick to deny that the law is designed to prevent women from having abortions, telling TPM that it is instead a way to provide "consistency" to South Dakota law, and afford "a greater degree of personhood to an unborn child."

South Dakota Bill Could Legalize Murder Of Abortion Providers | TPMDC

From the wording used, it would only be a "justifiable" homicide if the unborn child was one's own. So either the mother or the father could claim such a defense. And the actor doing the "aborting" if you will, would have to be engaged in an illegal act. Since abortion is legal, and since a woman would not be having an abortion unless she so wanted, the act of aborting a pregnancy in the traditional sense would not be something that could give rise to a defense of justifiable homicide in this regard. In other words, this is nothing but a political stunt designed to energize base voters, and having no actual effect.

That being said, I find it extremely irresponsible to pass a bill like this. There are already enough extremists out there who try or do commit acts of violence against abortion providers. This is the kind of thing that could encourage not to hold back, under the false premise that anything they do in the name of preventing abortions from happening could be legal.

The author of this bill should be reprimanded if not forced to resign.

He is so wrapped up in his own ideology he is not fit to serve the people.

You can say that about every "public servant" in Washington DC.

Come to think about it, you can say that about every state politician as well.

immie

I've always said it would be a justifyable homicide to take the life of a politician who has voted for a war in which people have been unjustly murdered.

It would certainly be a determent to further pointless invasions.

But, I digress... the bill's author is a moron. A fetus is not a person.

• Thanks
Reactions: blu
I've always said it would be a justifyable homicide to take the life of a politician who has voted for a war in which people have been unjustly murdered.

To me, a fetus IS a person....but to others it isnt....

So as a conservative, who am I to tell others what to do with their bodies.

A law under consideration in South Dakota would expand the definition of "justifiable homicide" to include killings that are intended to prevent harm to a fetus—a move that could make it legal to kill doctors who perform abortions. The Republican-backed legislation, House Bill 1171, has passed out of committee on a nine-to-three party-line vote, and is expected to face a floor vote in the state's GOP-dominated House of Representatives soon.

"The bill in South Dakota is an invitation to murder abortion providers."
The bill, sponsored by state Rep. Phil Jensen, a committed foe of abortion rights, alters the state's legal definition of justifiable homicide by adding language stating that a homicide is permissible if committed by a person "while resisting an attempt to harm" that person's unborn child or the unborn child of that person's spouse, partner, parent, or child. If the bill passes, it could in theory allow a woman's father, mother, son, daughter, or husband to kill anyone who tried to provide that woman an abortion—even if she wanted one.

South Dakota Moves To Legalize Killing Abortion Providers | Mother Jones

Between the states seeking to outlaw abortion -- like mine, Ohio -- and the ones seeking to outlaw Sharia law, it's as if the country is on a Slide To Stupid.

What say you?

what is it? a horse? a pig? a dog? a chikken? what?

Murder has been legal for a while in America. As long as the living human organism is less than 9 months old. Less than 3 in some of the stricter places in America.

But we've committed genocide on an entire generation of babies who didn't make it out of the womb. Mostly little black babies. Too blunt? It's true.

It's a fetus.

There's no other way to say this..... :cuckoo:

February 15, 2011

"A law under consideration in South Dakota would expand the definition of "justifiable homicide" to include killings that are intended to prevent harm to a fetus—a move that could make it legal to kill doctors who perform abortions. The Republican-backed legislation, House Bill 1171, has passed out of committee on a nine-to-three party-line vote, and is expected to face a floor vote in the state's GOP-dominated House of Representatives soon.

The bill, sponsored by state Rep. Phil Jensen, a committed foe of abortion rights, alters the state's legal definition of justifiable homicide by adding language stating that a homicide is permissible if committed by a person "while resisting an attempt to harm" that person's unborn child or the unborn child of that person's spouse, partner, parent, or child. If the bill passes, it could in theory allow a woman's father, mother, son, daughter, or husband to kill anyone who tried to provide that woman an abortion—even if she wanted one."

I knew a guy from South Dakota. He summed the state up beautifully once, when he said

...in South Dakota, we don't have any black people...

...so we have to hate the Indians.

When does it become a person? Eventually it will become a person.

Funny. You guys know it's illegal to eat the eggs of a bald eagle? Because the bald eagle is endangered, and the eggs will eventually be a bald eagle. Thus, eating the egg is like killing bald eagle.

Funny. Lefties would agree with the above. But not when applied to humans.

It's a fetus.

what kind of fetus? a horse? a pig? a dog? a chikken? or maybe a asshole?

When does it become a person? Eventually it will become a person.

Funny. You guys know it's illegal to eat the eggs of a bald eagle? Because the bald eagle is endangered, and the eggs will eventually be a bald eagle. Thus, eating the egg is like killing bald eagle.

Funny. Lefties would agree with the above. But not when applied to humans.

We guard turtle nests too. very closely.

Forum List

Back