South Carolina

5stringJeff

Sep 15, 2003
Puyallup, WA
So I'm headed to Columbia, SC in a couple of weeks. Anyone (read: Dan) have any suggestions of fun things to do, places to see, etc.?

Yeah jeff, you can go to Wal-Mart or the nearest waffle house! hahahahahha!

How about the Zoo? it's pretty nice there.

Yeah, if you're into that sort of thing, Riverbanks Zoo is pretty cool. If you're into going out to bars and clubs, head to Five Points. It's a college town, so Five Points is usually pretty kickin' every night. I know you're into music, and Columbia has a pretty good music scene, you can check out the music guide at this site and see if there's anything you're into. If you like shopping, or wanna see a movie or something, go to Harbison Blvd, it's got pretty much every store you would ever want, plus a huge cinema. Just curious, what're you doing in Columbia? Have a safe trip!

I'm going to Ft. Jackson for a two week budgeting class. The Army's schools are extremely easy and require almost no homework, so I'm planning on having lots of free time. I went a couple of years ago but didn't really do too much around town, except hang out at the state legislature, which was in special seesion (now you see what a political junkie I am!). But I appreciate the info. You don't happen to know of a 24-hour coffeehouse down there, do you? :D :cof:

Originally posted by gop_jeff
I'm going to Ft. Jackson for a two week budgeting class. The Army's schools are extremely easy and require almost no homework, so I'm planning on having lots of free time. I went a couple of years ago but didn't really do too much around town, except hang out at the state legislature, which was in special seesion (now you see what a political junkie I am!). But I appreciate the info. You don't happen to know of a 24-hour coffeehouse down there, do you? :D :cof:
If memory serves, there isn't anything 24-hours in Columbia!

Well, here I am in good o'l Columbia, SC. Spent Tuesday night bar-hopping down at the Vista with another guy in the class. Tonight, Smile Empty Soul is playing at Banana Joes, and I'm trying to round up people to go, but everyone is complaining about two hours worth of homework (the only two assignments we have to do outside of class).

And it's a balmy 38 FRICKIN' DEGREES down here!!! I leave Seattle, which is cold, cloudy, and wet, and go to South Carolina, where it's cold cloudy and wet!! AAAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!

But other than that, this place is a blast.

Yeah, thanks for bringing this cold weather down with you, man!

Banana Joe's is pretty fun, I've been there once, where did you go in the Vista? I may be heading up to Columbia Saturday night for my 21st, keep your eyes open!

uh oh, Dan heading your way, run jeff!!!!!! hahhhahhha!!!!!

Originally posted by Dan
Yeah, thanks for bringing this cold weather down with you, man!

Banana Joe's is pretty fun, I've been there once, where did you go in the Vista? I may be heading up to Columbia Saturday night for my 21st, keep your eyes open!

Sorry about the weather... it SUCKS when I come down to the South and it snows though!

Anyway, I missed Banana Joe's last night, due to the weather (I've heard that people down here can't drive in the snow, so I figured I'd stay out of their way). But a few of us are probably going tomorrow night - Sevendust is playing!
At the Vista, we started and ended at this great place called the Flying Saucer Draft Emporium. Over 200 beers on tap, and no Bud Light or Coors Light crap either. Plus all the barmaids wear miniskirts... :thup:
Anyway, Dan, I'll be at one of those two places tomorrow night, so if I see a big crowd celebrating a birthday, I'll look for you!

(I've heard that people down here can't drive in the snow, so I figured I'd stay out of their way).

That's an understatement. 2 years ago we had about an inch of snow and like hundreds of accidents.:rolleyes:

Anyway, Dan, I'll be at one of those two places tomorrow night, so if I see a big crowd celebrating a birthday, I'll look for you!

I might be at Banana Joe's, keep your eyes peeled!

I'm going out in Augusta tonight, though (after 12:00, of course).

Well my friend called me up at 5:30 Friday afternoon and told me to get down to Charleston. So me, him, his girlfriend and a few others went out Friday night to a place called 213. Pretty fun, but definitely a singles bar, which was somewhat awkward. Saturday we went to Ft. Sumter and all the other tourist spots downtown. Saturday night we went to this piano bar called Pluto Rocks. Very cool. Two guys playing all kinds of songs on the piano, and everyone in the bar sings along. i wish we had a place like that in Seattle.
Charleston is a very cool place, but I couldn't live there because every woman you see is drop dead gorgeous.

Charleston is most definitely awesome. My friend lives down there, he wants me to come down and go out with him one night, I'll have to take advantage of that. I always said if I had to live in SC, I'd want to live in downtown Charleston, though I'm sure it's outrageously expensive to live there.

You defnitely need to go party down there. It's somewhat reminiscent (sp?) of New Orleans, I think. Yes, downtown is very expensive. Actually, my friend's girlfriend lives on James Island, about ten minutes from downtown. It was very convenient but not too pricey. Still, if one was looking for a great party town, that would be one of my top recommendations. For a married guy like me... a great tourist place, or second honeymoon getaway.

My friend I'm talking about lives in Isle of Palms, which is a very exclusive area of charleston. The way his family throws money around is unbelievable, when I stay with him and we go out to eat, I swear the places we go, the cheapest thing on the menu's $20 or so. It's insane! But, the great thing is, they're not really snobs, they're very down-to-earth and overall just good people.

Forum List

Back