South Carolina

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 5stringJeff, Feb 6, 2004.

1. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    So I'm headed to Columbia, SC in a couple of weeks. Anyone (read: Dan) have any suggestions of fun things to do, places to see, etc.?

2. janeeng

janeeng Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah jeff, you can go to Wal-Mart or the nearest waffle house! hahahahahha!

How about the Zoo? it's pretty nice there.

3. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Yeah, if you're into that sort of thing, Riverbanks Zoo is pretty cool. If you're into going out to bars and clubs, head to Five Points. It's a college town, so Five Points is usually pretty kickin' every night. I know you're into music, and Columbia has a pretty good music scene, you can check out the music guide at this site and see if there's anything you're into. If you like shopping, or wanna see a movie or something, go to Harbison Blvd, it's got pretty much every store you would ever want, plus a huge cinema. Just curious, what're you doing in Columbia? Have a safe trip!

4. 5stringJeff

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    I'm going to Ft. Jackson for a two week budgeting class. The Army's schools are extremely easy and require almost no homework, so I'm planning on having lots of free time. I went a couple of years ago but didn't really do too much around town, except hang out at the state legislature, which was in special seesion (now you see what a political junkie I am!). But I appreciate the info. You don't happen to know of a 24-hour coffeehouse down there, do you? :D :cof:

5. Moi

Moi Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    If memory serves, there isn't anything 24-hours in Columbia!

6. 5stringJeff

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Well, here I am in good o'l Columbia, SC. Spent Tuesday night bar-hopping down at the Vista with another guy in the class. Tonight, Smile Empty Soul is playing at Banana Joes, and I'm trying to round up people to go, but everyone is complaining about two hours worth of homework (the only two assignments we have to do outside of class).

And it's a balmy 38 FRICKIN' DEGREES down here!!! I leave Seattle, which is cold, cloudy, and wet, and go to South Carolina, where it's cold cloudy and wet!! AAAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!

But other than that, this place is a blast.

7. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Yeah, thanks for bringing this cold weather down with you, man!

Banana Joe's is pretty fun, I've been there once, where did you go in the Vista? I may be heading up to Columbia Saturday night for my 21st, keep your eyes open!

8. janeeng

janeeng Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    uh oh, Dan heading your way, run jeff!!!!!! hahhhahhha!!!!!

9. 5stringJeff

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Sorry about the weather... it SUCKS when I come down to the South and it snows though!

Anyway, I missed Banana Joe's last night, due to the weather (I've heard that people down here can't drive in the snow, so I figured I'd stay out of their way). But a few of us are probably going tomorrow night - Sevendust is playing!
    At the Vista, we started and ended at this great place called the Flying Saucer Draft Emporium. Over 200 beers on tap, and no Bud Light or Coors Light crap either. Plus all the barmaids wear miniskirts... :thup:
    Anyway, Dan, I'll be at one of those two places tomorrow night, so if I see a big crowd celebrating a birthday, I'll look for you!

10. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +157
    That's an understatement. 2 years ago we had about an inch of snow and like hundreds of accidents.:rolleyes:

I might be at Banana Joe's, keep your eyes peeled!

I'm going out in Augusta tonight, though (after 12:00, of course).