South Carolina Gets It Right ! Death Penalty For Child Rapists

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by GotZoom, Mar 29, 2006.

1. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    The state Senate on Tuesday endorsed making repeat child rapists eligible for the death penalty, setting aside arguments the move might be unconstitutional.

"What we've got to do today is vote our conviction," said Republican Sen. Larry Martin.

The proposal allows prosecutors to seek the death penalty for sex offenders who are convicted twice of raping a child younger than 11.

Currently in South Carolina, murder is the only crime eligible for the death penalty.

The proposal was approved as part of a larger bill that sets minimum sentences and lifetime electronic monitoring for some sex offenders. The bill requires a third reading before moving to the House.

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in a 1977 Georgia case involving an adult victim that sentencing someone to death for rape was unconstitutional.

A Louisiana law lets prosecutors seek the death penalty for rapists of children younger than 12, and the Louisiana Supreme Court found it constitutional because the U.S. Supreme Court ruling did not address the rape of a child.

The U.S. Supreme Court declined to review the statute.

http://www.wilmingtonstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060328/APA/603281165

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770

Good find! :thup: "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to GotZoom again.

3. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    Thank you...it's the thought that counts.

:thewave:

4. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Excellent... although I think first-time offenders ought to be eligible.

5. Rabbit

Rabbit Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Hooray for South Carolina!!!!! Hope our state will follow suit soon.

7. Adam's Apple

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    It's happening all across the country! This is a serious crime, and the perpetrator gets a slap on the wrist! It's just a matter of time until Garcia repeats his crime. That you can depend upon.

What recourse do the people in TX have against such judges? Are they elected by the people or appointed? In my opinion, judges of this kind should have their law licenses revoked for life and never be able to sit on the bench again. They have betrayed the trust people have placed in them and are as bad as the criminals who come before them.

8. Rabbit

Rabbit Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.deuell.senate.state.tx.us/pr03/c030603a.htm

People in Texas have more freedom by voting to elect judges, so I hope it stays that way.

9. Adam's Apple

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    The people who set up the system in TX were wise beyond their times. How fortunate you are to have an opportunity to get rid of judges like Knize at the ballot box.

10. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Uh-oh. Someone please tell me that this won't make child rapists murder their victim. Please. It seems to me that if the penalty for child rape (subsequent offence) is death and the penalty for murder is death then the child rapist who, if apprehended and found guilty, is going to get death.

A living victim of rape can give police a lot of information. A dead victim can't volunteer any information but you can get some physical evidence from a deceased person, but it's more difficult.

So what has the child rapist got to lose? They may as well murder their victim. It's not like he or she can be brought back to life and executed a second time.

Please, someone, tell me I'm wrong and that the SC legislature has sorted this out. Oh and just in case you think that the idea that a judge MAY award the death penalty and won't do so in every case, think again. The child rapist is not a rational individual, but they're not completely stupid. They know they have a better chance of not being apprehended if the victim is dead than if the victim is left to speak to police.

I am troubled by this. Tell me I'm wrong. Please.