South Africa farm seizures BEGIN: Chaos as first expropriation of white-owned farms starts

Trump’s Vile Ploy on South Africa

The president, who gets his intelligence briefings from Fox News, repeats a white nationalist myth about murders of white South African farmers.

By The Editorial Board

Trust President Trump, following his familiar tactic of deflecting attention from yet another scandal by issuing some outrageous tweet, to come down hard on the wrong side of an issue he knows nothing about, based on no more than a slanted Fox News program. In a late-Wednesday tweet, Mr. Trump said he had asked Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to look into land seizures and the “large-scale killing of farmers” in South Africa. It was the first time he has mentioned Africa by name in a tweet as president.

His source was a grossly one-sided report by the Fox host Tucker Carlson asserting that the South African president, Cyril Ramaphosa, was seizing land from his citizens because they are the wrong “skin color.” There have been no large-scale killings of white farmers, and Mr. Ramaphosa’s proposal to change the Constitution to allow expropriation of land without compensation has not yet passed. That said, the issue does deserve a close look.

There can be no question that South Africa’s black people were long denied fair access to land. The Natives Land Act of 1913 essentially reserved most of the land to the white minority, and the restrictions became more onerous in the apartheid era. When that system was finally dismantled almost 25 years ago, a new Constitution did provide for land reform, but the process has moved slowly. Statistics vary, but what is clear is that whites, who are less than 10 percent of the population, continue to own more than two-thirds of the land, while black South Africans, the overwhelming majority, own a much smaller share.

Opinion | Trump’s Vile Ploy on South Africa
Would’ve been nice had you elucidated the ‘vile ploy’.
Oh well.

I did.
Nope.

The president, who gets his intelligence briefings from Fox News, repeats a white nationalist myth about murders of white South African farmers.

By The Editorial Board

Trust President Trump, following his familiar tactic of deflecting attention from yet another scandal by issuing some outrageous tweet, to come down hard on the wrong side of an issue he knows nothing about, based on no more than a slanted Fox News program. In a late-Wednesday tweet, Mr. Trump said he had asked Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to look into land seizures and the “large-scale killing of farmers” in South Africa. It was the first time he has mentioned Africa by name in a tweet as president.

His source was a grossly one-sided report by the Fox host Tucker Carlson asserting that the South African president, Cyril Ramaphosa, was seizing land from his citizens because they are the wrong “skin color.” There have been no large-scale killings of white farmers, and Mr. Ramaphosa’s proposal to change the Constitution to allow expropriation of land without compensation has not yet passed. That said, the issue does deserve a close look.

There can be no question that South Africa’s black people were long denied fair access to land. The Natives Land Act of 1913 essentially reserved most of the land to the white minority, and the restrictions became more onerous in the apartheid era. When that system was finally dismantled almost 25 years ago, a new Constitution did provide for land reform, but the process has moved slowly. Statistics vary, but what is clear is that whites, who are less than 10 percent of the population, continue to own more than two-thirds of the land, while black South Africans, the overwhelming majority, own a much smaller share.

Oh well.

I did.
Nope.

It's your problem if you can't read.

According to one of South Africa's largest farmers' organizations, Agri SA, the number of killings per year has declined to less than a third the number recorded two decades ago. And after diving into decades of data, the BBC concluded its extensive fact check last year by warning against drawing conclusions at all.

"In short — we have no clear idea about the murder rate on South African farms," the broadcaster summed up. "And because of that, the claim being made by protesters about farmers being more likely to be murdered is not supported by reliable data."

Nevertheless, Anton Harber, who teaches journalism in Johannesburg, tells NPR's Michele Kelemen that a group named AfriForum has strongly promoted the claim that white farmers are particularly threatened by this violence. They've gained supporters among politicians in places as far-flung as Australia, they've "sent a delegation" to speak with Tucker Carlson, and on Thursday, they "welcomed" Trump's tweet.

"They are quite vocal, and they present themselves as a group that protects minority rights," Harber said, "but they are largely seen as a group that protects white Afrikaans' rights."

The notion of widespread violence against whites in South Africa has gained particular currency among white supremacists around the world, according to the Anti-Defamation League.

"It is extremely disturbing that the President of the United States echoed a longstanding and false white supremacist claim that South Africa's white farmers are targets of large-scale, racially motivated killings by South Africa's black majority," the anti-hate advocacy organization said, noting that prominent white supremacists such as Richard Spencer have espoused the claim.

"We would hope that the President would try to understand the facts and realities of the situation in South Africa, rather than repeat disturbing, racially divisive talking points used most frequently by white supremacists."

The Southern Poverty Law Center, a group that tracks hate crimes, also identified the claim as "a lodestar for white supremacist groups at home and abroad." And the organization named another notable figure to cite the concept of "white genocide": Dylann Roof, the self-avowed white supremacist who murdered nine people in a historically black church in 2015.

"Trump's tweet last night about South African farmers — a complicated situation that racist propagandists reduce to a 'canary in the coal mine' scenario for white people — is one of the most startling examples of this president indulging in racist thinking."

Here's The Story Behind That Trump Tweet On South Africa — And Why It Sparked Outrage

ALL RISE! CLASS IS IN SESSION.

There Is No “White Genocide” in South Africa

Canadian alt-right political activist, Lauren Southern, has released a documentary called ‘Farmlands‘ which promises to be an expose on the cruelty faced by white South Africans. Through video snippets on her twitter account, Lauren attempts to paint a picture in which BEE (Black Economic Empowerment) laws as well as brutal farm murders have left the country’s white minority destitute and fearing for their lives.

More.

However, this documentary has thus far proven to be rife with misinformation. The reality is that the majority of white South Africans do not face this type of poverty. In fact, recent studies from BusinessTech have revealed shocking disparities between the wages of black and white South Africans – with white male professionals earning almost double that of black male professionals. In 2017, Quartz Africa illustrated an employment landscape which starkly contradicts Lauren Southern’s – one in which black unemployment sits at 31.4% as compared to the 6.6% among white people. These statistics are particularly troubling when noting that white people make up a mere 8.9% of the total South African population; using discretion alone, one can easily see that white South Africans hold a disproportionately large amount of wealth.

More.

South Africa’s Wage Disparity Across Racial Lines

This can be traced to various operations which took place under the Apartheid government, such as the Migrant Labour System and Group Areas Act (1950). To simplify, the Apartheid government displaced millions of black South Africans from land which was rightfully theirs and implemented policies to ensure that they would remain destitute. Additionally, the Bantu Education Act (1953) guaranteed that black South Africans would receive inadequate education in order to perpetuate a cycle in which they remained subservient laborers. Despite the end of Apartheid roughly 24 years ago, black South Africans remain burdened by legacies of poor education, racial discrimination and the loss of their land – which was never returned.

More.

This, of course, is why BBBEE (Broad-Based Black Economic Empowerment) was introduced – an attempt to rectify the unemployment inequalities across South Africa. Furthermore, current President Cyril Ramaphosa has announced his support of “expropriation without compensation” – a principle which will see stolen land being responsibly redistributed among black agricultural workers. A new education plan has also been set in motion which will offer financial assistance to students who cannot afford to attend tertiary institutions.

Yet, not everybody seems joyful about the prospect of supporting equality. ‘Farmlands‘ strategically exploits the tragic instances of recent farm murders in order to create a “white genocide” agenda in South Africa. It is true that, between 2016 and 2017, 74 farm murders have occurred – with 61% of victims being white. However, the National Operational Coordinating Committee has previously been unable to prove that these crimes are purely racially motivated.

Furthermore, Lauren fails to mention that many of these “whites-only refugee camps” are in fact racist “white-only enclaves”

There Is No "White Genocide" in South Africa

No, Katie Hopkins, there is no white genocide in South Africa
Every murder in the country is a tragedy. But most don’t happen on white farms, or even in white areas.

No, Katie Hopkins, there is no white genocide in South Africa

There’s no white genocide in South Africa. I should know: I’m a white South African.

On average, white South Africans earn five times more than black South Africans. We’re less likely to live in poverty or be unemployed. We’re more likely to have access to quality healthcare services. White people hold the majority of shares in stocks. Despite the fact that we make up 9% of South Africa’s population, we own 23.6% of rural land and 11.4% of the urban land, with 67% of the total land being owned by the state, companies, churches, communities and traditional authorities.

That’s not to mention the intangible evidence of white privilege in this country: the microaggressions that suggest white people are superior to black people. I’m not saying that some white South Africans don’t have it hard. Some do – but that’s not because they’re systemically and institutionally oppressed because of their race.

But despite the overwhelming evidence that white South Africans are privileged, many claim that a white genocide is underway in South Africa.

I’m telling you that this is absolutely not true. There is no white genocide in South Africa.

https://thetempest.co/2018/04/29/news/white-genocide-south-africa/

Claims about ‘white genocide’ in South Africa unsupported

Claims of a “white genocide” are frequently attributed to Genocide Watch, an organisation created to predict, prevent, stop, and punish genocide and other forms of mass murder. But the organisation has publically stated that “white genocide is not underway in South Africa”.

It has, however, ranked South Africa on stage six – the stage of “polarisation” – on its 10 Stages of Genocide. Yet the organisation was not prepared to provide the sources or methodology it used to determine the country’s ranking. Neither would it pinpoint the events in South Africa that met the detailed description of that stage, which includes “extremist terrorism [targeting] moderates”.

Without this information, it is impossible to interrogate their ranking. Experts have also suggested that the organisation’s genocide framework could do more harm than good in combating violence in the country.

No other organisation has warned of a genocide or impending genocide in South Africa. This includes both the United Nation’s Office on Genocide Prevention and the Responsibility to Protect and the Atrocity Forecasting Project

Claims about ‘white genocide’ in South Africa unsupported | Africa Check

here-endeth-the-lesson.jpg

Is the South African government seizing farmers' land?

Most of the country's farms and agricultural holdings are owned by white farmers - 72% according to government statistics. White people make up 9% of the population.
---------------------------

Huh? Whites are 9% of the population but own 72% of farms and agriculture?

How can that be?

So you believe that the people of today should pay for the crimes of our ancestors. Great. So where does this end? Is it limited to five generations or can we, or perhaps I should say must we go further back? Can we judge guilt for crimes committed during the dark ages? The long standing principle that the Children are not responsible for the sins of the father is apparently long gone. Good. Glad to hear it.

But is there a limit?
But the children of Africans should suffer? Really?

Cuz they're black right? So it's OK? Right?

Go one, you can tell us.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
So you believe that the people of today should pay for the crimes of our ancestors. Great. So where does this end? Is it limited to five generations or can we, or perhaps I should say must we go further back? Can we judge guilt for crimes committed during the dark ages? The long standing principle that the Children are not responsible for the sins of the father is apparently long gone. Good. Glad to hear it.

But is there a limit?

1994 is well within the lifetimes of almost every South African living today That's when apartheid ended. It gets old reading excuses from whites who want to tell everyone else to take responsibility.

By The Editorial Board

Oh well.

I did.
Nope.

It's your problem if you can't read.
Nope. It’s entirely YOUR problem if you promise us a ‘vile policy’ then produce a nonsense preamble and no policy - vile or otherwise.

Is the South African government seizing farmers' land?

Most of the country's farms and agricultural holdings are owned by white farmers - 72% according to government statistics. White people make up 9% of the population.
---------------------------

Huh? Whites are 9% of the population but own 72% of farms and agriculture?

How can that be?

But is there a limit?
But the children of Africans should suffer? Really?

Cuz they're black right? So it's OK? Right?

Go one, you can tell us.

Wait, you're going to complain that I must be racist if I do not support this? Pfui. Might makes right is the same excuse that Whites used to take land from the Indians, because the majority needed what the minority had. We had the numbers, and the power, and we were going to do it and nothing you could do would stop us. Taking things without paying for them is called theft. I have railed against that many times on this board. But having zero arguments not based upon race, you attack me.

If you read more than you ranted, you would have noticed that I object to mistreatment of blacks by police constantly. But of course, who could expect you to notice such things while you are here ranting insanely about how awful anyone who doesn't detest Trump is.

Might makes right is the worst of all the reasons to do anything. Theft of anything by the Government is always wrong. It's why I have posted and objected to Civil Asset Forfeiture for pretty much all my life. But of course, if I object to the same treatment when Blacks are in power I'm racist.

I've said it before. You are an ignorant ass. You always have terrible responses when anyone challenges you. You asked what would happen if Trump was indicted, and I said you would probably suffer terminal orgasm, you would literally climax to death. You proved what a mental midget you are by deciding that I wanted you dead. I laughed at you then, and I am still laughing at you now.

I detest racism, no matter who the racist is. I detest stupidity, not just in you. I eschew injustice, no matter who is the victim.

So again we see what you are made of. Terrible and weak replies, based in the shallowest of emotions, with nothing moral, ethical, or historical to base it upon except revenge on someone you don't like. I am thankful you are powerless. Because without power of any sort, you are already corrupt, one can only shudder at the thought you might have power over more than a TV remote one day.

I believe the only necesssry words for the white farmers should be: SCORCHED EARTH.

I can’t remember ever agreeing with you before. Not one issue, nor one comment. Yet in this case I do. Not just in the case of white farmers in South Africa. But anyone who is going to see their property stolen by the Government, any Government.

]I can’t remember ever agreeing with you before. Not one issue, nor one comment. Yet in this case I do. Not just in the case of white farmers in South Africa. But anyone who is going to see their property stolen by the Government, any Government.

You can’t be wrong in everything. ;-)

Burn the fields, salt the ground, and blow up the buildings. Leave them nothing they can use.

But is there a limit?

1994 is well within the lifetimes of almost every South African living today That's when apartheid ended. It gets old reading excuses from whites who want to tell everyone else to take responsibility.
9% of white people own 72% of the farmland. I bet it's even more in the cities.

So because these people went in with guns and stole African people's land because it was their great grandparents and great great grand parents, they should be able to keep it today?

Wow, that makes sense.

Saddam should have been able to keep what he took.

Castro should have been able to keep what he took.

If you can steal it through violence and manage to keep it a couple of generations, it's yours for good.

But is there a limit?

So because these people went in with guns and stole African people's land because it was their great grandparents and great great grand parents, they should be able to keep it today?

Wow, that makes sense.

If you can steal it through violence and manage to keep it a couple of generations, it's yours for good.

Farmland in the city?

But is there a limit?

Wow, that makes sense.

Farmland in the city?
Real estate dum dum.

Did that really need to be said?

Yea, I guess so.

Forum List

Back