Sotomayor says justices follow rule of law, not partisan politics

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
For more than a half hour before the audience at Duquesne University was able to stand in resounding applause Friday for the guest of honor, its members weren't allowed to stand at all.

Those were the playful orders of a sitting United States Supreme Court justice.

Pointing to the security around the perimeter of the A.J. Palumbo Center, Justice Sonia Sotomayor, the first Latina justice in the court's history, joked that in order for her to come down into the audience and answer questions face-to-face, there should be no sudden movements.

"They are here to try to protect me from myself," the justice said, prompting a burst of laughter. "They don't like me walking among you, but I like doing it."

Then the 64-year-old justice circled the arena, shaking hands, hugging students and answering their questions intimately and directly -- in addition to speaking fervently about the court's purpose in such a politically divisive time.

They don't follow partisan politics.

Well, crap. I meant to put this under the law forum.

If Sotomayor followed the rule of law she wouldn't have said "the court is where laws are made". Or maybe she just doesn't know any better. In either case, she should not be on the S.C (or any other one).

For more than a half hour before the audience at Duquesne University was able to stand in resounding applause Friday for the guest of honor, its members weren't allowed to stand at all.

Pointing to the security around the perimeter of the A.J. Palumbo Center, Justice Sonia Sotomayor, the first Latina justice in the court's history, joked that in order for her to come down into the audience and answer questions face-to-face, there should be no sudden movements.

"They are here to try to protect me from myself," the justice said, prompting a burst of laughter. "They don't like me walking among you, but I like doing it."

Then the 64-year-old justice circled the arena, shaking hands, hugging students and answering their questions intimately and directly -- in addition to speaking fervently about the court's purpose in such a politically divisive time.

LOL yeah right.

raw

Well, it would be unkind to say that she is lying, but...

There is a dramatic difference between how "one side" approaches difficult cases and how the other side does it. One side bases their rulings on what the Constitution OUGHT TO SAY, while the other side bases their decisions on what the Constitution actually does say. For better or worse, those two viewpoints are also representative of the approaches taken by, respectively, the political Left and Right.

So they can tell themselves that they are not being "political," but in essence that is not the case.

And i would bet a gazillion dollars to a penny that I could tell you which candidate each of the Justices voted for in the last ten presidential elections.

Not political? Ridiculous.

New Topics

Forum List

Back