Sorry my fellow conservatives, I side with the SCOTUS' decision.

Congress already had that power. The difference now is that rather than interpretation being up for grabs, it no longer is. If they say we must by fruits or get penalized with a tax, they could do that. They can not however, simply mandate that we buy fruits.

They were right by saying it isn't Constitutional under the Commerce Clause, and they are right that it is a tax and therefor is constitutional.

Don't get me wrong, Obamacare is a BAD bill and will ruin the economy and healthcare, but the damage was done when we elected obama as POTUS and not when the justices correctly enterpreted the Constitution.

I can see your point and do think his call is defendable. The administration argued it was a tax to the court. There is bigger picture here. I do wish he voted it down though,

John Roberts's art of war

Had Mr Roberts sided wholly with his conservative brethren on the court, the decision would have been absolutely devastating to liberal ambitions. Obamacare and the*longstanding*liberal interpretation of the commerce clause would have been left in shambles.*Why didn't Mr Roberts pull the trigger? Because he's conservative. And he's very smart. CLICK[Democracy in America archive | June 2012 | The Economist

what roberts effectively said is the congress has the power to make you buy ANYTHING just as long as they call it a tax.

Yes, that is already the case. He just uncloaked the lie that the administration tried to hide it under and brought that fact to light.

Congress lying libs would never have gotten the votes or blind loyal support if they were honest about it.

It it was a tax, then the court should have rejected the case and said come back when the tax goes into effect, right?

Ask the judges. I'm just saying that upholding it was the correct interpretation of the Constitution, and that the damage was done 3 1/2 years ago. The blame for this terrible bill lies with the voters and not the SCOTUS.

The only way to fix it is to vote him out. I think this will hurt his chances a lot because many people are unhappy about this oppressive legislation. Legal or not, it's bad for the country.

I hope you are right about this hurting obama, and it is bad for the country. Unfortunately, I don't hold out a lot of hope that Romney would really repeal the law, but that's for another thread.

It doesn't matter what those idiots call it. The question for the SCOTUS is only wether it's constitutional or not.

No, it matters a lot. If it's a tax then Congress maybe has that power. But the case could not have been brought.
If it's not a tax, then they have no power to implement such a thing.
The Dems swore it was not a tax. The legislation does not call it a tax. How can Roberts invent things in a bill and then pass judgment on it?

If it's a tax then it's a tax. It doesn't matter what the Dems called it. It doesn't matter what lies obama told about it, it is what it is.

If you don't buy health insurance, the government taxes (penalizes) you. They don't come to your house with guns and force you ro buy it. Therefor, it's a tax.

If it's a tax then they couldn't hear the case.
If it's not a tax then it isn't constitutional.
Which one is it?

The bill does not call it a tax. Roberts calls it a tax. Therefore Roberts had to re-write the bill to approve it.

Congress already had that power. The difference now is that rather than interpretation being up for grabs, it no longer is. If they say we must by fruits or get penalized with a tax, they could do that. They can not however, simply mandate that we buy fruits.

This tax isn't FOR buying something, it's for NOT buying something. The government can now tax you for NOT purchasing whatever they deem.

They were right by saying it isn't Constitutional under the Commerce Clause, and they are right that it is a tax and therefor is constitutional.

Don't get me wrong, Obamacare is a BAD bill and will ruin the economy and healthcare, but the damage was done when we elected obama as POTUS and not when the justices correctly enterpreted the Constitution.

It's constitutional to tax people for not purchasing something?

Apparently.

How is taxing someone for not purchasing something any different than fining/imposing a penalty on someone for not purchasing something?

Doesn't seem like there is much of a difference does it?

While it reigned in gov'ts over reach via the commerce clause it expanded gov't reach via taxation. The gov't will be able to 'tax' you for not purchasing something they (the gov't) deems is 'for your own good and the good of all'.

Yes, that is a major concern.

And you're ok with this?

Absolutely not, and I never said I was. That said, what I like and don't like, has nothing what-so-ever to do with the constitutionality of it.

And you don't feel completely deceived by Obama who insisted this was not a tax?

Yeah, lockstep with them or they'll run you over. Fucking lemmings.

Whether we lockstep with them or not we all get run over.

Those of us who are against statists like Obama and those who support him are equally harmed by Obamacare.

A tax for NOT buying a product, if that's not insanity to you than you're a statist.

The poor will be hurt the most by these tax increases, Big pharma, Big drug companies and big insurance companies who own DC LOVE Obamacare. The burden of cost control is shifting even more from the free market to bought off gov't politicians and bureacrats who are closely tied to the lobbyists of these companies.

This tax isn't FOR buying something, it's for NOT buying something. The government can now tax you for NOT purchasing whatever they deem.

I think both of you are saying the same thing but saying it a different way.

And you don't feel completely deceived by Obama who insisted this was not a tax?

I think most who opposed obamacare knew it was a tax before it was ruled as a tax.

It's constitutional to tax people for not purchasing something?

How is taxing someone for not purchasing something any different than fining/imposing a penalty on someone for not purchasing something?

While it reigned in gov'ts over reach via the commerce clause it expanded gov't reach via taxation. The gov't will be able to 'tax' you for not purchasing something they (the gov't) deems is 'for your own good and the good of all'.

And you're ok with this?
I'm not OK with it, but Roberts' job is to use the tools (laws and Constitution) he has, not invent new ones.

Regardless, it has to go back to Congress, and that is a good thing. It's crap.

No, it matters a lot. If it's a tax then Congress maybe has that power. But the case could not have been brought.
If it's not a tax, then they have no power to implement such a thing.
The Dems swore it was not a tax. The legislation does not call it a tax. How can Roberts invent things in a bill and then pass judgment on it?

If it's a tax then it's a tax. It doesn't matter what the Dems called it. It doesn't matter what lies obama told about it, it is what it is.

If you don't buy health insurance, the government taxes (penalizes) you. They don't come to your house with guns and force you ro buy it. Therefor, it's a tax.

If it's a tax then they couldn't hear the case.
If it's not a tax then it isn't constitutional.
Which one is it?

The bill does not call it a tax. Roberts calls it a tax. Therefore Roberts had to re-write the bill to approve it.

People keep saying that he re-wrote it but no one can show me proof. Several people have shown us in this thread where the bill was argued as a tax. I don't know what the truth is but it appears to me that it doesn't really matter. What Roberts stated fit with the constitution, and I believe that that is why he ruled as he did.

You are wrong about not being able to hear the case. Even I know that. Wether the bill was a tax or not was not the reason it came up before the court, so there for it could be seen before them.

I can agree with much that you posted, except for "will ruin the economy and healthcare".
Actually, the cost of healthcare is ruining the country and has been for decades. I've seen/heard many an economist that have stated that the outrageous cost of heathcare in the US will cause huge economic problems form the US in the near future.
Obamacare isn't going to help and any plan the GOP has put on the table wouldn't do much if anything either. This is where Big Money from the healthcare industry towards our elected officials has come into play. Washington has sold out the general population.
In the US we pay about double of what every other country in the world pays! The US is about the only capitalistic developed country that doesn't negotiate with the healthcare industry,the cost of their services and products. It frigen ridiculous! And it wouldn't cost the taxpayer anything!
Secondly, most physicians favor a blend of public and private healthcare,,ala Single Option. it would lower the cost for everyone and offer less regulation regarding procedures/paperwork for the healthcare industry.
Both are win-win for the American people, so naturally, neither will happen because of the fact that Washington in full of political whores and those who profit from lack of leadership, from top-to-bottom, control those whores.

The proof is in the pudding asswipe. The argument before the court was whether or not the law was constitutional under the commerce clause. He re-defined it as being constitutional under the TAX levying powers of the assine democrat idiots of the congress. so bend over

You are dismissed.

you wish, and don't call yourself a fellow conservative either, no one is buying that bullshit.

Is Roberts a fellow "conservative"?

But they already had that power. No new amendments to the constitution had to be written to allow this. It already existed.

Everything that comes out of obama's mouth is a lie. I am no longer deceived by anything he says.

Yeah, lockstep with them or they'll run you over. Fucking lemmings.

Whether we lockstep with them or not we all get run over.

Those of us who are against statists like Obama and those who support him are equally harmed by Obamacare.

A tax for NOT buying a product, if that's not insanity to you than you're a statist.

I think we can all agree that it's insane.

The poor will be hurt the most by these tax increases, Big pharma, Big drug companies and big insurance companies who own DC LOVE Obamacare. The burden of cost control is shifting even more from the free market to bought off gov't politicians and bureacrats who are closely tied to the lobbyists of these companies.

Agreed, but the fault lies with the voters who voted obama into office and not with the SCOTUS.

I can see your point and do think his call is defendable. The administration argued it was a tax to the court. There is bigger picture here. I do wish he voted it down though,

John Roberts's art of war

Had Mr Roberts sided wholly with his conservative brethren on the court, the decision would have been absolutely devastating to liberal ambitions. Obamacare and the*longstanding*liberal interpretation of the commerce clause would have been left in shambles.*Why didn't Mr Roberts pull the trigger? Because he's conservative. And he's very smart. CLICK[Democracy in America archive | June 2012 | The Economist

what roberts effectively said is the congress has the power to make you buy ANYTHING just as long as they call it a tax.

I believe they do. It is a flaw in the Constitution to not have limits on the scope of Federal taxation.

I can agree with much that you posted, except for "will ruin the economy and healthcare".
Actually, the cost of healthcare is ruining the country and has been for decades. I've seen/heard many an economist that have stated that the outrageous cost of heathcare in the US will cause huge economic problems form the US in the near future.
Obamacare isn't going to help and any plan the GOP has put on the table wouldn't do much if anything either. This is where Big Money from the healthcare industry towards our elected officials has come into play. Washington has sold out the general population.
In the US we pay about double of what every other country in the world pays! The US is about the only capitalistic developed country that doesn't negotiate with the healthcare industry,the cost of their services and products. It frigen ridiculous! And it wouldn't cost the taxpayer anything!
Secondly, most physicians favor a blend of public and private healthcare,,ala Single Option. it would lower the cost for everyone and offer less regulation regarding procedures/paperwork for the healthcare industry.
Both are win-win for the American people, so naturally, neither will happen because of the fact that Washington in full of political whores and those who profit from lack of leadership, from top-to-bottom, control those whores.

This discussion isn't for this thread. There are many more threads about what the harm of obamacare will be.

A friend's friend gave him the following analysis which he then passed on to me, and I found it rather interesting. All I can say about its author is he's a conservative with a background in law and tax accounting.

"Justice Roberts is brilliant. I believe his siding with the liberals in the Obamacare decision was for the following reasons:

1. Calling the penalty a tax is reasonable since money extracted from a citizen under duress and absent a quid pro quo is a tax. This decision enables two shots at overturning Obamacare as enumerated next.

2. Sustaining Obamacare removes a victim issue for the Dems to campaign on this year and gives the GOP an opportunity to present a positive view of healthcare changes. Done right, a new president and Congress will make the changes.

3. Failing success in number 2, the payment of the tax in 2014 will enable persons to challenge the tax on the grounds that the taxing authority of Congress, now thought to be limited, is indeed limited if used to compel behavior otherwise prohibited by the Constitution. That is, if Congress cannot use the commerce clause to compel behavior, it cannot use another power granted in the Constitution to negate the specifically prohibited power of another section of the Constitution. Thus, that is why SCOTUS specifically ruled that Congress cannot use the commerce clause to compel the purchase of health insurance.

Leaving Obamcare in place also allows the HHS mandate for all employers to provide birth control, etc. to continue to be challenged under the First Amendment by the Bishops, Notre Dame, etc."

Forum List

Back