Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked before.

Rep Points are for shits and giggles and serve no other purpose. They are best used to give another user a 'pat on the back' for 'good' contributions (whether you agree with their input or not), or a 'kick in the ass' for being stupid (whether you agree with their input or not).
:)

SarnDuro said:
I see I'm gaining some, but I don't know what they're for. I've been on one other board that had a point system, and it was crazy. One needed points to buy avatars, upgrade the features, get search capabilities, etc. Since most every post gave automatic points, the admins were nuts about enforcing rules. I don't see that here (in my admittedly brief stay so far), so I wonder what points here are actually used for, and how they arrive.

I haven't finished perusing the linked threads above yet, but in the first couple pages of each I don't see the answers I'm looking for. I can't honestly think it should be that hard to find the information. Oh well.

In theory, it's a measure of how well respected you are. Whenever you think somebody made a particularly good or bad post, you click the scales up in the upper right corner of that post. A window pops up and you click on 'approve' or 'disapprove.' See that number called 'rep power' next to total rep points? That's how much that person's 'pat on the back' or 'kick to the ass' is worth. If you approve, your rep power is added to their points. If you disapprove, half your rep power is subtracted from their points. Once you've repped somebody, for good or bad, you must 'spread some around' by repping a certain amount of other people (don't know how many) before you can rep that person again.

And that's all. No buying avatars. No buying custom titles. You can edit your profile as much as you want. The only thing high rep does is boost your ego and gives a new little saying whenever you mouse over the rep bar.

It annoys me though when someone red cards me - which is their right of course - but then puts a comment in it and is too chickenshit to make the comment in the open.

Diuretic said:
It annoys me though when someone red cards me - which is their right of course - but then puts a comment in it and is too chickenshit to make the comment in the open.
Have you considered that they may be trying to tell you something, while not influencing the board? BTW, I'm unsure if I dinged you or not, but if I did, I would not be attempting a pile on, since your posts are reasonable, though I may well disagree with your POV.

Diuretic said:

Agreed---it's pretty chickenshit. I also think it's sorta wimpy to not even explain to the person why you dinged em. There is always the PM feature that people can use if they disagree with you and don't want to disrupt the board.

dilloduck said:
Agreed---it's pretty chickenshit. I also think it's sorta wimpy to not even explain to the person why you dinged em. There is always the PM feature that people can use if they disagree with you and don't want to disrupt the board.
Then again, the pm's with some can lead to things one couldn't contemplate. Alas, one may choose after a rather long engagement to let the points stand for themselves, good or bad.

Wouldn't be right with a new poster.

Kathianne said:
Then again, the pm's with some can lead to things one couldn't contemplate. Alas, one may choose after a rather long engagement to let the points stand for themselves, good or bad.

So how would you suggest dealing with postings or rep/dings ? Just let them stand? You suggest that the board and Pms may not be the best way to go. Then I guess using the rep systen would be the only choice left. New poster? Are they not to be involved with the rep system.

Kathianne said:
Have you considered that they may be trying to tell you something, while not influencing the board? BTW, I'm unsure if I dinged you or not, but if I did, I would not be attempting a pile on, since your posts are reasonable, though I may well disagree with your POV.

I don't mind the red card thing, I get a little frown but it goes away. No, what annoyed me was that I made a point and the red card came up with a comment. The comment was mildly insulting - but jeez I've been insulted in person by experts - but what ticked me off was that I couldn't dispute the point in the forum because it wasn't made in the forum.

I agree, flames are for private messages if someone feels they have to fire one but if there's a point being made, even if it is a half-arsed rebuttal it's cowardly to make it in a pm or a red card thing without having the guts to put it out for all to see.

That's all.

Disagreement is good. It's the only way I ever learned anything, by critique of my ideas and opinions.

Diuretic said:
I don't mind the red card thing, I get a little frown but it goes away. No, what annoyed me was that I made a point and the red card came up with a comment. The comment was mildly insulting - but jeez I've been insulted in person by experts - but what ticked me off was that I couldn't dispute the point in the forum because it wasn't made in the forum.

I agree, flames are for private messages if someone feels they have to fire one but if there's a point being made, even if it is a half-arsed rebuttal it's cowardly to make it in a pm or a red card thing without having the guts to put it out for all to see.

That's all.

Disagreement is good. It's the only way I ever learned anything, by critique of my ideas and opinions.
Well, I'll have to assume it wasn't me you are referring to. If I were you, I'd post to draw the person out, then skittle around the edges. Did I say that? :dunno:

Kathianne said:
Well, I'll have to assume it wasn't me you are referring to. If I were you, I'd post to draw the person out, then skittle around the edges. Did I say that? :dunno:

Ya--I think you just suggested that he try to manipulate the personal disagreement out into the public forum---Which is it? Where does this crap belong? PMS ? rep system ? board ?

dilloduck said:
Ya--I think you just suggested that he try to manipulate the personal disagreement out into the public forum---Which is it? Where does this crap belong? PMS ? rep system ? board ?
You figure it out. :tinfoil: I was honest, just not to your liking.

Kathianne said:
You figure it out. :tinfoil: I was honest, just not to your liking.

no---I would rather have moderator guidance on this one. To stay in bounds you gotta know where the boundries are. It's seems like a reasonable question to ask. One can get in big trouble if you're not careful.

dilloduck said:
no---I would rather have moderator guidance on this one. To stay in bounds you gotta know where the boundries are. It's seems like a reasonable question to ask. One can get in big trouble if you're not careful.

Refer then to Darin or Jim. I've done what I've done.

No, not you Kathianne. And I understand what you meant.

Anyway I'm not all proper, I can get as personal as the next bloke, I try not to let myself get provoked (mantra: it's only a message board, the poster doesn't know you) but sometimes I am too bullheaded to take my own advice.

Diuretic said:

Yep. Total chickenshit move.

Kathianne said:

What wouldn't be right with a new poster?

This board has the exact same set up as a board I joined about two weeks ago and lasted all of about 4 days at. They called it "validation points" instead of reputation points, but it was the exact same principle.

I started out really popular. People were giving me validation points all over the place. I figured out how to see the comments at the control panel, and then how to give other posters validation points.

Then somebody posted something that really pissed me off and all of a sudden I wasn't so popular anymore. I went from green to red overnight. The board was way too heavily moderated and censored for my tastes so I decided to delete myself and chalk it up to experience. But I couldn't figure out how.

So I figured, what the hell, I may as well go out in a blaze of glory and post something so insulting to the mods that they'd ban me. Worked like a charm.

Hopefully I'll last here longer.

Forum List

Back