Sorry if I missed it, but has management ever defined trolling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IRS

If so, I'd be curious to see it. If not, you might consider defining it. Thanks.
Joe explained it and now you're "curious?" Not liking the answer doesn't mean you didn't get one.

They don't know what trolling even is. What they call trolling is actually the angry response to a troll.

A troll is an attention who're first and foremost. They are like the kid unable to receive positive feedback from their parents and so act out because that is the only way they receive any attention at all

Trolls enjoy riling people up . It's not a one on one thing at all with a troll, it's getting as many people worked up as possible. They say outrageous things .They follow people around saying serious posts are funny. They side with absolutely horrible things like the rape of children or killing whites and they do this CONTINUALLY.

It's not a one time thing at all. Trolling involves an entire pattern of posts and when moderators who don't know what trolling is punish those who respond to it, they aren't combating trolling at all. They are enabling it.

If so, I'd be curious to see it. If not, you might consider defining it. Thanks.
Joe explained it and now you're "curious?" Not liking the answer doesn't mean you didn't get one.

Is that management's official definition of trolling or is that just one moderator's off-the-cuff remarks?

For an example he used a poster that is banned twice a week on average. While that poster didn't troll on the particular example, the poster is well known throughout the site as a divisive troll that never really adds to any discussion. A poor example to make a point.
A clever troll can keep on topic while mocking the insanity of a particular OP.

Many threads that generalize and oversimplify an issue open themselves up to a troll response.
I save my thought out responses for those that create thought out threads. A rarity on here as many just copy/paste the weeks canned soundbites.

I save my thought out responses for those that create thought out threads. A rarity on here as many just copy/paste the weeks canned soundbites.

Ever notice the only good threads are the ones where only guys like us are in them? The libertarianish ones. They're always civil. Everybody gets along. And there's often good functional discussion in them, talking about relevant stuff.

It never really gets bad until the left/right political football tv trained types join in . That's when I usually abandon thread.

While that poster didn't troll on the particular example...

It would be easy to get side-tracked as to whether or not that example constituted trolling so, I'll refrain from commenting on that point. There are numerous definitions for trolling that I have seen, none of which, incidentally, I necessarily agree with 100%. I thought it might be helpful for management to define it.

Now that I've been here for a little while and know who is who, I wish they'd bring back groups. Too much trivial noise in the gp. Uninteresting bad energy.

While that poster didn't troll on the particular example...

It would be easy to get side-tracked as to whether or not that example constituted trolling so, I'll refrain from commenting on that point. There are numerous definitions for trolling that I have seen, none of which, incidentally, I necessarily agree with 100%. I thought it might be helpful for management to define it.

Management defines it ignorantly and incorrectly, though. They have trolling and flaming all confused. They do not understand what differentiates the two nor how one is the cause and the other the effect.

All anybody needs to do is take a look at the image that Ringel posted and have the intelligence necessary to understanding how the term got its name through the direct imagery. To troll is to cast a wide net in hopes of catching something. The motivation is to disrupt by issuing flame bait so as to get people agitated.

To give an example, we used to have private groups to discuss certain issues by invitation only. I was a member and moderator of one discussing terrorism. I had the power to remove most trolling posts, but one very determined Islamist showed up with the express purpose of undermining the proceedings. I was not able to remove the trolling postings of this person as the very minute I attempted such, it was overridden and the poster continued with the agitation.

Now, THAT is the very definition of a troll, as this one was trying quite intentionally to piss off all the people who opposed Islamic terrorism and was bound and determined to do so. The very intent was to disrupt EVERYBODY there rather than just flaming a particular poster..

Now that I've been here for a little while and know who is who, I wish they'd bring back groups. Too much trivial noise in the gp. Uninteresting bad energy.

Just put people on "ignore". It works pretty well. You'll enjoy this community more after doing so, trust me.

They don't know what trolling even is. What they call trolling is actually the angry response to a troll.

A troll is an attention who're first and foremost. They are like the kid unable to receive positive feedback from their parents and so act out because that is the only way they receive any attention at all

Trolls enjoy riling people up . It's not a one on one thing at all with a troll, it's getting as many people worked up as possible. They say outrageous things .They follow people around saying serious posts are funny. They side with absolutely horrible things like the rape of children or killing whites and they do this CONTINUALLY.

It's not a one time thing at all. Trolling involves an entire pattern of posts and when moderators who don't know what trolling is punish those who respond to it, they aren't combating trolling at all. They are enabling it.
I'm not a kid and my parents gave me positive feedback........ Explain that one...... :eusa_whistle:

Just put people on "ignore". It works pretty well. You'll enjoy this community more after doing so, trust me.

No, I'd rather bring groups back. That way there's a semblance of good critical discussion about real stuff with people who undersand sht instead of just responding to television talking points all the time on here like we do on the general board. Ever notice that almost every topic on here originates from some undereducated half-wit pundit on television? I mean, really, you may as well just turn on the tv. I don't like ignoring people, I only have one person on ignore. Not because I disagree with him, he's just annoying. Like a gnat. And dumb. Total waste of time and keystrokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back