soros donates 1M to calif pot legaization effort

Conservatives stand for a civil society.

You'll spend that much and more dealing with the enforcement aspects I already specified, and the cost of ruined lives, careers, and families. You'll need entire new treatment programs and hospitals to deal with this stuff.

And other drugs will be next.

I want to know why George Soros donated $1M to get pot legal, in the interest of staying on topic. He can do whatever he wants with his money. What's in this for him.

As a matter of fact, no you will not spend more on enforcement. Enforcement costs will DECREASE with legalization and destruction of families will also DECREASE as will ALL negative effects that come with pot. The fact is that the true problem with drugs comes in their illegal status and the crime that pops up around illegal items. Legalizing it will allow the problem to be placed in the open and addressed as well as brining in revenue that can fund education and rehabilitation efforts. Putting people in prison for drug abuse ENCOURAGES further drug abuse, is the actual cause of destroyed families and creates carrier criminals out of normal people that need rehab not hard prison time. Here is an earlier post that I addressed this subject on.
We are all losers when the Government follows a failed policy like the interdictive drug laws, sometimes referred to rhetorically as a war. Yes it is a failure that keeps on failing(but yet the tax dollars keep flowing). The behavior that the law were meant to curb are less harmful than the results of the laws themselves.

You've obviously never dealt with a family ravaged by meth. Noway in hell that shit should EVER be legal. PERIOD.
As a matter of fact, I have dealt with a family revenged by meth (my mother and step father) as well as dealing with my father's addiction to crack cocaine. Your damn right it should be legal and your damn right it should be in the open. There is history here to consider - prohibition was a complete failure and legalizing alcohol has allowed us to actually deal with the problem rather than cover it up as well as eliminating the criminal syndicates that illegal substances cause. The war on drugs has had an IDENTICAL outcome as prohibition. Substances were forced underground creating criminal syndicates and covering up the problem or substance abuse. If such substances were in the open they could be TAXED to bring in revenue to fund new treatments, treatment centers and education/outreach campaigns. Instead that funding is moved to criminal elements funding murder and robbery in its place. There is NOTHING good about illegalizing those substances as covering up the problem DOES NOT MAKE IT GO AWAY. Further, many of the problems we are experiencing on the border today are a DIRECT result of that criminal underground smuggling pot and other drugs across the border. Hundreds of Americans are murdered in cold blood for getting in the way of those cartels each year not to mention the added danger to police. Take away the profit and incentive for that smuggling and suddenly that problem vanishes entirely. Face it - THE WAR ON DRUGS HAS FAILED. PERIOD. It is time to fess up and face this issue like real men and women instead of a bunch of scared children. People are GOING to get high no matter what you do or what you make illegal. Facing the problem has far more benefits than trying to change our basic nature and hiding the issue.
History is NOT on your side. Prohibition FAILED. Legalization WORKED. Now tell me, why can you not see that illegalizing a substance is ineffective when it is PROVEN IN HISTORY THAT IT IS.

Conservatives stand for a civil society.

You'll spend that much and more dealing with the enforcement aspects I already specified, and the cost of ruined lives, careers, and families. You'll need entire new treatment programs and hospitals to deal with this stuff.

And other drugs will be next.

I want to know why George Soros donated $1M to get pot legal, in the interest of staying on topic. He can do whatever he wants with his money. What's in this for him.

We do all ready with it illegal.

So the enforcement cost is a moot point.

Would having more stoned people be a good thing?

Is having more drunk people a good thing?

Are they free stoned & drunk people? That is a good thingy.

In the UK the legal age is 18 to buy alcohol, but 16 to drink with parental permission in your own home, or with a meal. However due to the culture of Britain being much more accepting of drinking than the United States for example, many people will drink much Younger than this. Also the laws regarding underage drinking are a lot different than more strict countries, with the alcohol in question being merely confiscated by police if any underage drinkers are caught.

Some European states have 16 as a legal drinking age, which tends to be linked to their culture of wine drinking with meals. In France for example, even young children might be given a small glass of wine to have with their main meal of the day. However this meal tends to last a few hours and is something that the whole family sits down together for.

China too has no legal drinking age.......
The legal drinking age in different countries - by Jonte Rhodes - Page 2 - Helium

the leftist whack job wants more brain dead drug zombies to be in legion with the party he supports... go figure
If you truly believe marijuana produces the effect you've implied above you have been indoctrincated with Reefer Madness propaganda and your comment reveals a state of ignorance you would do well to correct by researching the facts.

Really, more people won't smoke when it's easier to obtain?
Will you rush right out and buy a bong?

If not, what makes you different from all those whom you believe will do just that?

And even if legalization did produce an increase in usage by adults you'll be surprised at the total absence of any negative effect. Marijuana is not what you've been led to believe it is.

So the enforcement cost is a moot point.
If you're talking about the cost of enforcing remaining laws against DUI and distribution to minors, that cost will be virtually nothing compared to the cost of the absolutely insane enforcement of the existing marijuana laws.

Would having more stoned people be a good thing?
Tell us about the problems that "stoned people" are causing you now.

Is having more drunk people a good thing?
What does drunkenness have to do with marijuana?

We already spend billions on wrecked lives due to alcohol and tobacco use, and are making an effort to have less of it in society.

You want to pretend the same thing would not happen all over again with pot?

Less booze and cigs, more pot?
Marijuana compares in no way with alcohol or tobacco.

Tobacco is extremely addictive and is associated with cancer. Marijuana is not addictive and there is no connection with its use and any medical problems.

Alcohol is extremely addictive. It kills thousands of Americans every year and is responsible for many serious medical conditions -- along with inducing much violent and other kinds of criminal behavior. Marijuana is completely benign by comparison.

So to compare marijuana with alcohol and tobacco is senseless.

Pot really isn't that harmful. It's less harmful than alcohol. If pot was legalized, this country would be a way cooler place. More relaxed. More free. Not gripping onto this fear of 'everything evil' that we have to protect our kids against. We would solve our revenue problems. I hope it happens, but parents would never allow it. Look at Amsterdam. Rad city. Productive. Beautiful. Full of history. The capital of the netherlands. Heroin is legal for crying out loud. THEY seem to be doing okay. I'm not saying we should legalize heroin, but honestly, if we did, I think it would be okay. Parents seem to think they kids have no brains. It's only when parents aren't being parents, that their kids go astray and do evil things. If the family unit was stronger, drugs or any sort of 'evil' wouldn't have an effect on the child, because the child would be easily able to resist the temptation.

Are more stoned people conducive to a civil society?

you think once weed is legalized that suddenly everyone will become stoned? you realzie the same lame argument was made during ending prohibition right?

and society will be more productive for a number of reasons including:

1) cops won't waste time busting people for $10 worth of pot
2) jails won't be filled with people busted with $10 worth of pot
3) a 18 year old won't fail to qualify for college tutition help since he was caught at 16 with a joint
4) carlets / drug dealers will lose a large source of revenue
5) the amount made from taxes will greatly help all states who legalize it
6) 'stoned' people work productively everyday including scientists, engineers, and so on

Aside from number 6 - Nobody should be working drunk or stoned..I agree with you on every point.

• Thanks
Reactions: blu
Slightly more people will partake due to it being legal, but if you want to use that logic some people will chose herb over beer. And beer has way more negative affects.

Adults consuming in thier homes aren't hurting anyone.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

you get dumber and dumber every day

Nope... I'm not the one using the drugs... those are the ones getting dumber every day

drugs don't affect your intelligence and many people have become inspired while on different types of drugs

Have you ever talked to a person that smoked pot heavily and regularly? I would disagree to its effects on your intelligence! :eusa_whistle:
It is your head though and you have a right to do with it as you please.

Forum List

Back