Sore throat remedies

Semper Fi

VIP Member
Nov 25, 2003
Wisconsin
I have had a sore throat all day. I've heard chocolate helps, because it coats the soreness so to speak. I've just been chugging water or milk until it feels [temporarily] better. What else is there besides losenges?

So long as you're not asthmatic or allergic to them - gargle with 2 soluable aspirin. They get absorbed locally, through the mucosa, and have an instant analgesic effect.

Otherwise, make a hot toddy. Nicer - hot water, lemon juice, sugar and honey, with a slug of your favourite poison (mine's whiskey!) :)

The ClayTaurus said:
Hot Chocolate with peppermint schnapps...although you're too young for that :D

Now that'll cure anything.. Especially with whipped cream melting on top.

Shattered said:
:eek2: :halo:

We're talking about sore throats here!

Oh. Yeah. Sorry...was distracted with that whole whipped cream visual.

Used to drink hot tea with lots of lemon and sugar. Italian cure for sore throats. Doesn't hurt to be a little lemon liquor in it either.

Less tasy, but effective: Cut slices of ginger and boil in water. Drink water after it's cooled. Add a little sugar if needed to help with the taste.

An Ear, Nose & Throat doc gave this recipe to the family.
Gargle with equal parts (about 2 TBSP) of glycerin & liquid Benedryl. The glycerin will help the benedryl cling to your throat as it helps heal & relieve the scratchiness. Just make sure you don't swallow the stuff; glycerin is a laxitive.

Semper Fi said:
I have had a sore throat all day. I've heard chocolate helps, because it coats the soreness so to speak. I've just been chugging water or milk until it feels [temporarily] better. What else is there besides losenges?

I went through a phase of chronic sinus infections. Every month (except for the summer months) for about 5 years I came down with a stuffy nose and sore throat. Each lasted a week or two. I did the usual: gargle salt water.

It was a so/so remedy.

This year I was away from home and in the presence of alcohol. When I fell sick with a sore throat in december, I took a shot of vodka (you could probably use any hard alcohol) and washed it down with 2 full glasses of water. It really did help. Not only did my throat feel better, but the vodka cleared my nasals for a few hours. Give it a try.

1549 said:
I went through a phase of chronic sinus infections. Every month (except for the summer months) for about 5 years I came down with a stuffy nose and sore throat. Each lasted a week or two. I did the usual: gargle salt water.

It was a so/so remedy.

This year I was away from home and in the presence of alcohol. When I fell sick with a sore throat in december, I took a shot of vodka (you could probably use any hard alcohol) and washed it down with 2 full glasses of water. It really did help. Not only did my throat feel better, but the vodka cleared my nasals for a few hours. Give it a try.

Last I heard, 'contributing to the deliquency of a minor' gets you a nasty fine. :)

Cough drops, milk, and hot cocoa for him. :D

Just go to the store and get yourself a bottle of Vicks Sore Throat liquid, cherry flavor. Outstanding stuff. Works instantly, and lasts for quite awhile.

Chloroseptic spray always worked for me when I had a sore throat or laryngitis.

But my dad's remedy is tea with milk, honey and a shot of Drambuie. Might not make your throat better, but you kinda don't care after you drink it. ;)

Warm milk with honey in it always works for me.

The warm milk knocks me out and helps with the throat, and the honey helps with the taste.

Hello Friends..........

1.Add lemon juice and some honey, to a glass of hot water. Drink this. It will give immediate relief from pain.
2. Cut a lemon into 2 pieces. Take one piece and put some salt and black pepper on it, press with a knife so that salt-pepper penetrates into the lime. Put the lemon on heat to make it warm. Slowly lick this lemon squeezing it until no juice remains. Do it 2-3 times a day.
3. Add 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper to 1 cup of boiling water; stir well and sip slowly. It is also good for sore throat cure.
4. Prepare a tea by adding 1 or 2 teaspoons of dried chamomile blossoms to a pint of boiling water; steep and drink a cup every few hours.

Thanks

Crush 4 orange flavored baby aspirin and stir into a 4 oz glass of OJ. Dink slowly taking small sips through a straw and viola, no more sore throat.

Didn't you have a mother?

Gargle with saltwater, Semp.

Or, if your throat is badly infected, gargle with hydrogen peroxide (50% peroxide, 50% water)

Milk, chocolate and that sort of thing actually makesyour throat worse since those cause your body to make phelgm, and your throat is sore because of that phelgm running down from your sinuses.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back