Sooo today ...

CaféAuLait

This Space for Rent
Oct 29, 2008
Pacific Northwest
Sooo today on my way home I stopped at a store. In the parking lot was a black pickup truck sitting on the side of the truck was a white boy in dark glasses, black trench coat and black jeans, white tee. My immediate thoughts went to the massacre of Columbine High School. I became a bit uncomfortable and wondered why he was perched on the side bed of the pick-up truck sitting there staring.

Was I bigoted in being reminded of such in seeing some white kid in a trench coat? Was this a racist remembrance? Or was it a normal reaction to the horrors committed that day? Or was it a combination of the anniversary of Columbine combined with how that boy was dressed?

The Columbine High School massacre occurred on Tuesday, April 20, 1999, today is the 12th anniversary of the horrors that occured that fateful day.

Obviously this is going towards those who may feel nervous if they happen to see a Muslim in religious garb on a plane (Juan Williams) or men in paramilitary gear outside of a polling place. This boy looked probably like a thousand other boys trying to pull of the punk or emo look.

Was my response a normal human response or was it a racist response or learned due to history?

CaféAuLait;3552189 said:
Sooo today on my way home I stopped at a store. In the parking lot was a black pickup truck sitting on the side of the truck was a white boy in dark glasses, black trench coat and black jeans, white tee. My immediate thoughts went to the massacre of Columbine High School. I became a bit uncomfortable and wondered why he was perched on the side bed of the pick-up truck sitting there staring.

Was I bigoted in being reminded of such in seeing some white kid in a trench coat? Was this a racist remembrance? Or was it a normal reaction to the horrors committed that day? Or was it a combination of the anniversary of Columbine combined with how that boy was dressed?

The Columbine High School massacre occurred on Tuesday, April 20, 1999, today is the 12th anniversary of the horrors that occured that fateful day.

Obviously this is going towards those who may feel nervous if they happen to see a Muslim in religious garb on a plane (Juan Williams) or men in paramilitary gear outside of a polling place. This boy looked probably like a thousand other boys trying to pull of the punk or emo look.

Was my response a normal human response or was it a racist response or learned due to history?

I would have trepidations of ANY kid dressed like that no matter the color. That being said i can see how his appearance would bring back the memory of columbine.

No i dont think you are racist.

CaféAuLait;3552189 said:

Seeing the boy triggered a memory, and that was all. What you do with the memory will determine if you are a racist. You felt uncomfortable, this happens to all people of every race, religion, or sex. It is your own insecurities that made you feel the way you did. It is up to you to determine if you are a racist. So...are you?

CaféAuLait;3552189 said:

Sounds normal to me, but I think paranoia is normal.

CaféAuLait;3552189 said:

Sounds normal to me, but I think paranoia is normal.

what do you mean by that??!!:evil::tinfoil:

Forum List

Back