Soon printing a human heart on demand will no longer be sci-fi

barryqwalsh

Gold Member
Sep 30, 2014
This would be a remarkable scientific achievement, considering that in the United States, 118,950 people are registered in the Organ Procurement Transplantation Network. Of these candidates, 22 die each day waiting for a lifesaving organ. The gap between supply and demand continues to widen, and it's a problem many medical experts have called a major health crisis.

This would be a remarkable scientific achievement, considering that in the United States, 118,950 people are registered in the Organ Procurement Transplantation Network. Of these candidates, 22 die each day waiting for a lifesaving organ. The gap between supply and demand continues to widen, and it's a problem many medical experts have called a major health crisis.

Yeah, one of my kids is majoring in biomedical engineering, and the stuff she tells me about, holy crap. They'll be able, for example, to use stem cells as the "ink" for 3D printers to print organs.

The funny thing is, as young as she is and with the tech she's had her whole life, it's not that big a deal to her. My mind is completely freaking blown by this Star Trek shit and he just mentions it in passing...

:laugh:

Sounds like a wonderful technological improvement...but I suspect government will somehow screw it up.

Yeah, one of my kids is majoring in biomedical engineering, and the stuff she tells me about, holy crap. They'll be able, for example, to use stem cells as the "ink" for 3D printers to print organs.

The funny thing is, as young as she is and with the tech she's had her whole life, it's not that big a deal to her. My mind is completely freaking blown by this Star Trek shit and he just mentions it in passing...

/--- I have damaged cochlears thanks to the German measles in 1957. New digital hearing aids help but I wonder if they will be able to print me a new set while I'm still alive.

/--- I have damaged cochlears thanks to the German measles in 1957. New digital hearing aids help but I wonder if they will be able to print me a new set while I'm still alive.
I hope so. Fingers crossed.

I keep hearing about stuff like this in the lab or start ups.

Very anxiously awaiting it to actually START BEING DONE!

The implications for quality of life, for some many, especially the elderly AND life spans is staggering.

I keep hearing about stuff like this in the lab or start ups.

Very anxiously awaiting it to actually START BEING DONE!

The implications for quality of life, for some many, especially the elderly AND life spans is staggering.
Clearly the central government and the medical establishment do not want Americans living longer. As such, I would not hold my breath.

Forum List

Back