Sonics Fred Brown against Golden St in March 1974

ginscpy

Sep 10, 2010
Scored 58 points.

Would have been easily over 70 with the 3 point shot.

Knocked the Warriorsout of the playoffs.

Sonics were playing for nothing.

Best pure shooter I have ever seen.

Totally freaking unconciousin that game.

First round draft pick out of Iowa in 1970.

Yeah that's real amazing that 10 semi-retarded guys can score 100 points in increments of 1, 2 and 3 by running up and down a court and putting a rubber ball into a metal hoop 10 feet off the ground . :rolleyes:

You want amazing? Go out at night and look at the stars.

"Pure shooter" is something of a left-handed compliment. It implies that a player can do nothing but shoot. I think we can all agree on who was the best "shooter" of all time. I don't even need to write his name.

In the "Pure Shooter" category - I liked my hometown hero Scott Wedman of that era. Players got stronger and became better shooters at some point. I think part of it had to do with players being raised with a 3 point line and part of it had to do with more strength-training in basketball and part of it had to do with Eastern European players in the late 80's - ealy 90's who could shoot the lights out.

The best pure shooter I ever saw play the game was without a doubt Reggie Miller. But, last year I saw a team win a chapionship against long odds on the strength of one pure shooter. Never saw that before. So I'll at least give Dirk an honorable mention.

"Pure shooter" is something of a left-handed compliment. It implies that a player can do nothing but shoot. I think we can all agree on who was the best "shooter" of all time. I don't even need to write his name.

In the "Pure Shooter" category - I liked my hometown hero Scott Wedman of that era. Players got stronger and became better shooters at some point. I think part of it had to do with players being raised with a 3 point line and part of it had to do with more strength-training in basketball and part of it had to do with Eastern European players in the late 80's - ealy 90's who could shoot the lights out.

The best pure shooter I ever saw play the game was without a doubt Reggie Miller. But, last year I saw a team win a chapionship against long odds on the strength of one pure shooter. Never saw that before. So I'll at least give Dirk an honorable mention.

Not giving enough cred to the "older" players that I saw play basketball.

How about these pure shooters and scorers who could put up 30+ points in ANY game?

Jerry West

Elgin Baylor

Wilt Chamberlain

Rick Barry

Larry Bird

Dave Bing

Bob McAdoo

Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Oscar Robertson

Earl Monroe

Elvin Hayes

Nate Archibald

Pete Maravich

Julius Erving

World B. Free

Kevin Johnson

How about these pure shooters and scorers who could put up 30+ points in ANY game?

Jerry West

Elgin Baylor

Wilt Chamberlain

Rick Barry

Larry Bird

Dave Bing

Bob McAdoo

Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Oscar Robertson

Earl Monroe

Elvin Hayes

Nate Archibald

Pete Maravich

Julius Erving

World B. Free

Kevin Johnson

I cna probably give you Barry and West (and I'll throw in a Havlicek for good measure.) The rest weren't really "pure shooters" as much as they were other types of very talented players. KJ? Really? He's on you list? I wouldn't have considered him to be the best shooter on his own team, much less of all time. KJ isn't on any list of greatest basketball anything. He played with a couple of guys who are on those kinds of lists - so he knows.

Besides Miller, a couple of other great pure shooters who jump to mind are Mullin and the Ice Man.

Brown could do more than just shoot.

He could play defense, made a lot of steals, was a terrific rebounding guqrd.

Was the valuable 6th man on the Sonics teams that made it to the finals in the late 70s.

Never got the recognition that was due him IMO.

The 58 points by Brown (in a 139-137 win that knocked Golden St out of a playoff spot) was the biggest point total by a player in the NBA since around 1969.

So in Golden States very next game - Rick Barry goes out and scores 64 points against Portland.

Never liked Barry. Esp his sissy underhand free-thows. (even though they were effective.)

Jerry West

Elgin Baylor

Wilt Chamberlain

Rick Barry

Larry Bird

Dave Bing

Bob McAdoo

Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Oscar Robertson

Earl Monroe

Elvin Hayes

Nate Archibald

Pete Maravich

Julius Erving

World B. Free

Kevin Johnson
If you want to talk about pure shooters, what about Andrew Toney?

The 58 points by Brown (in a 139-137 win that knocked Golden St out of a playoff spot) was the biggest point total by a player in the NBA since around 1969.

So in Golden States very next game - Rick Barry goes out and scores 64 points against Portland.

Never liked Barry. Esp his sissy underhand free-thows. (even though they were effective.)

Wilt used the underhand style also.

Didnt work so well for him.

When I played on pre-high school teams - the coaches tried to make us shoot underhand free-throws - but everyone though they were sissy.

Jerry West

Elgin Baylor

Wilt Chamberlain

Rick Barry

Larry Bird

Dave Bing

Bob McAdoo

Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Oscar Robertson

Earl Monroe

Elvin Hayes

Nate Archibald

Pete Maravich

Julius Erving

World B. Free

Kevin Johnson

I cna probably give you Barry and West (and I'll throw in a Havlicek for good measure.) The rest weren't really "pure shooters" as much as they were other types of very talented players. KJ? Really? He's on you list? I wouldn't have considered him to be the best shooter on his own team, much less of all time. KJ isn't on any list of greatest basketball anything. He played with a couple of guys who are on those kinds of lists - so he knows.

Besides Miller, a couple of other great pure shooters who jump to mind are Mullin and the Ice Man.

I'm guessing that you probably don't remember too many of the players I listed......only their career statistics.

"Pure shooter" can mean many things. All of the players I listed could put up 30+ points in any game they played in, and most of them are in the Hall Of Fame.

Forum List

Back