Sonia Sotomayor: Supreme Empathizer?

so it is beyond your capabilities to read this one then search and find counter opinions?? Is that what you are saying????

I'm not looking for other people's opinions, I'm looking for facts so I can form my own opinion.

okay,, if you find facts different from the ones I've posted let us know!

You haven't posted facts, Willow. You've posted opinions. Come on, you're smarter than this! THINK!

you're not too quick on the uptake are you?

:lol::lol::lol:

Sure, believe that if you want:lol: It will just be another in a long line of idiocies for you.

i only believe what i read.

“I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion [as a judge] than a white male who hasn’t lived that life.” — Judge Sonia Sotomayor, in her Judge Mario G. Olmos Law and Cultural Diversity Lecture at the University of California (Berkeley) School of Law in 2001

Judicial confirmation network... hmmm... let's see how "nonpartisan" they are.

Gar Marx, their executive director, worked on the Bush-Cheney election campaign where he spearheaded an outreach to conservatives, was a lobbyist for the Family Foundation, a pro-life, pro-traditional marriage organization.

So, let's look at their website:

Link to Wall Street Journal, link to National Review Online, some kind of pro-conservative poll, something from Fox News...

So it looks like this website is very pro-conservative views and they're calling someone who is a moderate or pretty much a centrist, a "liberal activist."

I guess with how far the right is moving these days, anything that isn't extreme right IS a liberal!

Listen, Demosthenes, life has some surprises in store for you.

"what factors explain the ABA ratings of judicial nominees to the United States Courts of Appeals from 1985-2008 and (2) probe whether prospective Republican and/or conservative judges are systematically disadvantaged. We find both that, all else being equal, Democatic/ liberal nominees are more likely to receive the ABA's highest rating of "Well Qualified" than their Republican counterparts,..."
SSRN-Bias and the Bar: Evaluating the ABA Ratings of Federal Judicial Nominees by Richard Vining, Amy Steigerwalt, Susan Smelcer

Consider the statements before you decide it's tendentious.

My point is that it is difficult to find objectivity.

If I were a Greek, I would be a Spartan, not an Athien! :eek:

I'm not asking for ratings, I'm not asking for news stories, I'm not asking for opinions - I want facts. I want someone out there to find all of the judicial cases she's presided over and post them and how she voted on them. That's it. THAT is fact. The rest is conjecture.

Scalia, Roberts, Alito - Right, the Right is so Right. Why are all their decisions to the right? No conservative biass there.:lol:

Your biass is my point of view and vice versa.

Get a life. No matter who he appoints short of a rabid conservative, the right will attack. I don't remember Bush looking for a liberal or even a moderate. You lost the last election. Now Obama gets to pick the next Supreme, not the right. You already made two mistakes.:cuckoo:

The RNC is now playing Groucho's old song, "Whatever it is, I'm against it.":eusa_whistle:

Judicial confirmation network... hmmm... let's see how "nonpartisan" they are.

Gar Marx, their executive director, worked on the Bush-Cheney election campaign where he spearheaded an outreach to conservatives, was a lobbyist for the Family Foundation, a pro-life, pro-traditional marriage organization.

So, let's look at their website:

Link to Wall Street Journal, link to National Review Online, some kind of pro-conservative poll, something from Fox News...

So it looks like this website is very pro-conservative views and they're calling someone who is a moderate or pretty much a centrist, a "liberal activist."

I guess with how far the right is moving these days, anything that isn't extreme right IS a liberal!

Listen, Demosthenes, life has some surprises in store for you.

"what factors explain the ABA ratings of judicial nominees to the United States Courts of Appeals from 1985-2008 and (2) probe whether prospective Republican and/or conservative judges are systematically disadvantaged. We find both that, all else being equal, Democatic/ liberal nominees are more likely to receive the ABA's highest rating of "Well Qualified" than their Republican counterparts,..."
SSRN-Bias and the Bar: Evaluating the ABA Ratings of Federal Judicial Nominees by Richard Vining, Amy Steigerwalt, Susan Smelcer

Consider the statements before you decide it's tendentious.

My point is that it is difficult to find objectivity.

If I were a Greek, I would be a Spartan, not an Athien! :eek:

I'm not asking for ratings, I'm not asking for news stories, I'm not asking for opinions - I want facts. I want someone out there to find all of the judicial cases she's presided over and post them and how she voted on them. That's it. THAT is fact. The rest is conjecture.
here is some of her resume
I will post it again.
Sotomayor's resume, record on notable cases - CNN.com

How many times have her rulings been overturned by the Supreme Court.. not counting the one in Conn. that may be.. ?????:eusa_whistle:

that is the full statement i made. do you have a problem with it? do you think it is racist?

Your statement is descriptive. Hers was normative.

? have you lost your mind?

how is my statement deceptive?

wtf is normative about her statement? how is my statement, which is exactly her statement, not normative? apparently you believe white people cannot hold such exclusive beliefs and only non whites can.

do you believe my statement is racist?

Exactly her statement? Check Drudge again.

Your statement is descriptive. Hers was normative.

wtf is normative about her statement? how is my statement, which is exactly her statement, not normative? apparently you believe white people cannot hold such exclusive beliefs and only non whites can.

where did i say my statement was EXACTLY her statement? i've posted her statement and it is virtually identical. why don't you man up and show us the differences between my statement and hers.

okay,, if you find facts different from the ones I've posted let us know!

You hardly posted any facts. It was all opinion and conjecture.

show an opinion!

Judge Sotomayor will allow her feelings and personal politics to stand in the way of basic fairness.

Statement about the future. Opinion.

In a recent case, Ricci v. DeStefano, Sotomayor sided with a city that used racially discriminatory practices to deny promotions to firefighters.

Fact+opinion.

The percuriam opinion Sotomayor joined went so far out of its way to bury the firefighters' important claims of unfair treatment that her colleague, Judge Jose Cabranes, a Clinton appointee, chastised her.

Fact+ opinion.

“Judge Sotomayor is a liberal judicial activist of the first order who thinks her own personal political agenda is more important than the law as written.

Opinion.

She thinks that judges should dictate policy, and that one’s sex, race, and ethnicity ought to affect the decisions one renders from the bench.

Opinion

I think that should be enough.

where did i say my statement was EXACTLY her statement? i've posted her statement and it is virtually identical. why don't you man up and show us the differences between my statement and hers.

Thats where you said your statement was EXACTLY her statement.

The "I hope" changes things. Quite a bit, actually. It changes from a description of how the world works, to her saying she hopes thats the way it is.

You hardly posted any facts. It was all opinion and conjecture.

show an opinion!

Fact+opinion.

Fact+ opinion.

“Judge Sotomayor is a liberal judicial activist of the first order who thinks her own personal political agenda is more important than the law as written.

Opinion.

She thinks that judges should dictate policy, and that one’s sex, race, and ethnicity ought to affect the decisions one renders from the bench.

Opinion you do know do you not that she is on video saying judges dictate policy? :lol: so it's fact

and since opinion is born of fact,, it is not enough.. nice try though

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug-qUvI6WFo[/ame]

Last edited:

Thats where you said your statement was EXACTLY her statement.

The "I hope" changes things. Quite a bit, actually. It changes from a description of how the world works, to her saying she hopes thats the way it is.

ok, forgot i said that....and actually, i took her statement and only changed the race and gender, left the rest the same.....regardless....

why don't you man up and show us the differences between my statement and hers.

going to wuss out on this too?

ok, i now found a quote where she said "hope"

sorry, but that doesn't change the context or meaning of my statement at all....

if it makes you happy:

“I would hope that a wise while man with the richness of his experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a latina woman who hasn’t lived that life,”

show an opinion!

Fact+opinion.

Fact+ opinion.

Opinion.

Opinion you do know do you not that she is on video saying judges dictate policy? :lol: so it's fact

and since opinion is born of fact,, it is not enough.. nice try though

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug-qUvI6WFo]YouTube - Sonia Sotomayor: Courts make policy full clip[/ame]

Opinion is born of fact? Your opinions usually aren't, thats for sure.

sorry, but that doesn't change the context or meaning of my statement at all....

if it makes you happy:

“I would hope that a wise while man with the richness of his experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a latina woman who hasn’t lived that life,”

I explained how it was different. The "I hope" means that she thinks that should be the case, not that she thinks it is.

We need not have Women in positions of Power. It is agasnt Gods will. A womans place is in the home,
raising children. Not on the Supreme court making decisions, that can affect peoples lives.!
All these women out there working outside of the home is a grave sin, in the eyes of God.
America seems to be going off the path of rightousness, and of Gods will. God will punish those who
disobey his laws and edicts. The Earth can, and has been destroyed in the past, and will be destroyed again at some point in the future. America has accepted to much sin full laws,as normal. We will be punished for this.!

if it makes you happy:

I explained how it was different. The "I hope" means that she thinks that should be the case, not that she thinks it is.

ok, so she HOPES that is going to be, IOW, she HOPES it is the case

you just dug yourself a big hole, nice job....all your huffing and puffing actually makes her look more like a racist and a nutjob....

do you have any problems with this statement:

I would hope that a wise while man with the richness of his experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a latina woman who hasn’t lived that life

Forum List

Back