Sonia Sotomayor: Supreme Empathizer?

a wise white man with the richness of his experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a hispanic female who hasn't lived that life.

Funny that you didn't provide the full quote. I wonder why...

Being that current Republican policy has cost Republicans the House, the Senate and the Whitehouse, perhaps it's time to re-examine the policies. This woman is on record supporting racism and judicial activisism and should not be rewarded with a lifetime appointment to the highest court in the land. Especially since her interpretation of the law has been weak enough that several of her opinions have been overturned by the SCOTUS.

I hope that you are not assuming that I am in favor of the confirmation. But the reality is that the President is even more liberal than the nominee, and could have selected an even more objectionable candidate. Your statements about Justice Sotomayor are correct.

I had predicted that this would be his pick, as the President has always been up front about his views, and the key word was 'empathy.'

We will not get a conservative choice here. Supreme Court picks were my primary reason for voting for President Bush, and he may have saved the country by same. Our friends on the left felt the same way then as we do now.

That is the system.

Could not have said it better. Would only add that Bush 43 and his predecessors pushed the envelope on enrichment of the well positioned to the breaking point. This crowd appears to be headed toward doing the same thing on the social and governemt spending side. I hope eventual reaction to it will be limited to states asserting their rights.

If someone could please explain to me why the "federal government" is dictating to the states where the stimulus money is to be spent. As an example many states have their schools to a superior level--the states can put the stimulus money--to other good use--yet the federal government is telling them to build bridges & roads--that they may not need--& throw money at education--that they may not need!

By the time this administration is done--we're going to have a lot of bridges built to nowhere & states "rights" won't exist.

As an Empath from Bejor, she will know when the romulan diplomat is lying to her.

Wait...

Am I posting in the right board?

As an Empath from Bejor, she will know when the romulan diplomat is lying to her.

Wait...

Am I posting in the right board?

Oh, absolutely, Py.

Most of us are posting from our entirely fantasy-based POVs anyway.

At least yours will bring us the benefit of being entertaining, too.

I'm waiting to see a bit more about her before throwing my dice. Lord knows that she could be the harriet meyers of the Obama Presidency but I'm not really all that interested in the initial knee jerk reaction from talking heads and instapundits.

I will say this, however: Bush got to bench two judges. Both of whom were pretty clearly gaming the nomination process with veiled speak and sentences coming from both sides of their mouths. I think it's pretty silly for right wingers to bitch about a liberal replacement of a liberal judge given Alito and Roberts. For real.

a wise white man with the richness of his experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a hispanic female who hasn't lived that life.

that is the full "quote" and it's getting funnier by the minute.

No. Its not. At least do a tiny bit of research before saying bullshit assertions next time.

that is the full statement i made. do you have a problem with it? do you think it is racist?

Your statement is descriptive. Hers was normative.

I favor the confirmation of Sonia Sotomayor to the Supreme Court. President Obama has chosen this nominee wisely.

so aside from your views about the partisanship of the site,, do you agree or disagree with what was said? and you may of course post a left wing site to back up your opinion..

I have no interest in posting partisan websites' views - why bother? You already know what they're going to say.

Why don't you find her entire Judicial record and post it on here for all of us to see and let us judge for ourselves?

From what I heard, watching FoxNews, she is nothing short of a moderate. And I purposfully watched FoxNews to listen to anything negative that could come up... heard a few things here and there, but didn't hear and no one even came close to suggesting that she was some kind of ultra liberal judge!! lol:

Get your head out of the sand and stop letting partisan hack websites do the thinking for you, Willow. You're too smart for that.

so it is beyond your capabilities to read this one then search and find counter opinions?? Is that what you are saying????

I'm not looking for other people's opinions, I'm looking for facts so I can form my own opinion.

I have no interest in posting partisan websites' views - why bother? You already know what they're going to say.

Why don't you find her entire Judicial record and post it on here for all of us to see and let us judge for ourselves?

From what I heard, watching FoxNews, she is nothing short of a moderate. And I purposfully watched FoxNews to listen to anything negative that could come up... heard a few things here and there, but didn't hear and no one even came close to suggesting that she was some kind of ultra liberal judge!! lol:

Get your head out of the sand and stop letting partisan hack websites do the thinking for you, Willow. You're too smart for that.

so it is beyond your capabilities to read this one then search and find counter opinions?? Is that what you are saying????

I'm not looking for other people's opinions, I'm looking for facts so I can form my own opinion.

okay,, if you find facts different from the ones I've posted let us know!

Lost Cause, my friends.

This lady WILL get confirmed.

You right wingers have some good ideas (fiscal conservancy, smaller government, etc.), and if you actually practiced what you preached you would be a hit.

But on this issue, you're totally screwed. She is going to get the nod.

Heck, Franken is on the edge of getting in, and that's the fillbuster-proof guy.

The tiny bit of political capital you have might be better used on something else.

Heck, it's not like he nominated Billary. If that were the case I could see your point in protesting.

The big-name leaders of the Republican Party (Limbaugh first, followed by Savage and Hannity) are not going to make too big a fuss. They know that every thing said (including internet bulletin board posts by no-names like yourselves) will tick off the Hispanics and women.

Obama stepped up to the plate and, by cracky, he hit another one out of the park.

You can try to catch it all you want, but it's out of the park. Even if you somehow make it out to the parking lot fast enough to make the catch, all the runners will tag up and you'll be screwed by three runs instead of four.

My point?

Give it up.

Judicial confirmation network... hmmm... let's see how "nonpartisan" they are.

Gar Marx, their executive director, worked on the Bush-Cheney election campaign where he spearheaded an outreach to conservatives, was a lobbyist for the Family Foundation, a pro-life, pro-traditional marriage organization.

So, let's look at their website:

Link to Wall Street Journal, link to National Review Online, some kind of pro-conservative poll, something from Fox News...

So it looks like this website is very pro-conservative views and they're calling someone who is a moderate or pretty much a centrist, a "liberal activist."

I guess with how far the right is moving these days, anything that isn't extreme right IS a liberal!

Listen, Demosthenes, life has some surprises in store for you.

"what factors explain the ABA ratings of judicial nominees to the United States Courts of Appeals from 1985-2008 and (2) probe whether prospective Republican and/or conservative judges are systematically disadvantaged. We find both that, all else being equal, Democatic/ liberal nominees are more likely to receive the ABA's highest rating of "Well Qualified" than their Republican counterparts,..."
SSRN-Bias and the Bar: Evaluating the ABA Ratings of Federal Judicial Nominees by Richard Vining, Amy Steigerwalt, Susan Smelcer

Consider the statements before you decide it's tendentious.

My point is that it is difficult to find objectivity.

Last edited:

that is the full statement i made. do you have a problem with it? do you think it is racist?

Your statement is descriptive. Hers was normative.

? have you lost your mind?

how is my statement deceptive?

wtf is normative about her statement? how is my statement, which is exactly her statement, not normative? apparently you believe white people cannot hold such exclusive beliefs and only non whites can.

do you believe my statement is racist?

Forum List

Back