Songs of an INVENTION

While U.S. kids from the 1950's will undoubtedly recognize this as the theme of a famous children's show, from that era, this actually celebrated a steam locomotive known as PUFFIN BILLY:

Hello CENTRAL, Give Me No Man's Land (1918)
When the gray shadows creep
And the world is asleep
In the still of the night
Baby creeps down a flight
First she looks all around
Without making a sound
The baby toddles up to the telephone
And whispers in a baby tone

"Hello, Central! Give me No Man's Land
My daddy's there, my mamma told me
She tip-toed off to bed
After my prayers were said
Don't ring when you get the number
Or you'll disturb mamma's slumber

I'm afraid to stand here at the 'phone
'Cause I'm alone
So won't you hurry
I want to know why mamma starts to weep
When I say, 'Now I lay me down to sleep'
Hello, Central! Give me No Man's Land

I'm afraid to stand here at the 'phone
'Cause I'm alone
So won't you hurry
I want to know why mamma starts to weep
When I say, 'Now I lay me down to sleep'
Hello, Central! Give me No Man's Land

And then came RADIO! And the whole world was a buzz. There was nothing like it. Everyone was listening. And so we have this little ditty --- MR RADIO MAN (1924) It was magic, it was electric, it was new! And perhaps heaven was listening...

But where there is sound there is sight. The next advancement would be TELEVISION!!!!! Who from the early 50's can forget the excitement surrounding TELEVISION!

Let's not forget advancements. Here is a song from about 1875 by Henry Clay Work. This song actually renamed what had been called TALL CASE CLOCKS. This song became so popular that afterwards they would soon all be called Grandfather Clocks. And where would we be without clocks?

The Model T FORD made it possible for nearly anyone to own a car. A combination of interchangeable parts and the assembly line all came together to make the automobile affordable: THE LITTLE FORD RAMBLED RIGHT ALONG:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back