Songs about Drugs

Semper Fi

VIP Member
Nov 25, 2003
Wisconsin
Can anyone think of songs that were obviously written about any type of narcotic? Songs like these are kind of fun to listen to.

I have a book full of rock stars talking about their inspirations behind their favorite songs and, not surprisingly, there's a whole chapter devoted to songs about drugs.

Depends how obvious you want your drug references, though. Songs like "Along Comes Mary" or "I Love Mary Jane" are obviously about pot, but not as explicitly about drugs.

Just a few I can think of:

Eric Clapton "Cocaine"
Cypress Hill "Hits From the Bong"
Really, almost any Cypress Hill or Kottonmouth Kings song
The Darkness "Giving Up"
Eminem "Drug Ballad"

Here's a few that are about drugs, but in a less direct way:

Eagles - Hotel California
America - A Horse With no Name
Beach Boys - Good Vibrations (seriously!)
Guns n' Roses - Mr. Brownstone

There's plenty more, but I'm too tired to think of any right now.

Oh, my signature reminded me of Third Eye Blind's "Semi-Charmed Life". That's about Crystal Meth addicts.

Dan said:
Eagles - Hotel California

This one is about Hell. There are about a million references to the coming of Anti-Christ and etc in the song. I didn't know it was about drugs too!

Marilyn Manson - I Don't Like The Drugs (But The Drugs Like Me),

Heroin - Velvet Underground
Pusherman - Curtis Mayfield
White Light/White Heat - Velvet Underground
Chinese Rock - Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers
Cocaine - Eric Clapton
Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix Experience
The Pusherman - Steppenwolf
Ashes To Ashes - David Bowie
White Lines - Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five
Cold Turkey - John Lennon
DOPE SICK GIRL - Rancid
What happened to You? - The Offspring
Ash Hash - Moxy Fruvous
The Needle And The Damage Done - Neil Young
Smoke The Sky - Motley Crue
The Worlds Greatest Smoke Off - Silverstein Shel
Opium - Marcy Playground
Opium - Moonspell
Heroin - End
Heroin Dreams - Life Of Agony
We Were On Heroin - Wasted Youth
High Class High - Nids
Lsd = Truth - Lords Of Acid
Mary Jane - Love Hate
Daydream Green - Pods
Mary Jane - Hurriganes
Morphine - Jackson Michael
Trouble With The Sweet Stuff - Idol Billy
Which One Of You Gave My Daughter The Dope? - Frogs
Kids Of The K-Hole - Nofx
So Strung Out - C-Block
Crackdown - Hate Plow
Street Lobotomy - Body Count
Ahhh crap here's the link...
Songs about drugs

• Thanks
Reactions: Dan
This one is about Hell. There are about a million references to the coming of Anti-Christ and etc in the song. I didn't know it was about drugs too!

I read an interview somewhere with Don Henley where he said this song was about when he first came out to California and everyone there seemed to be on drugs ("We are all just prisoners here, of our own devise"), and they all seemed to want to quit but couldn't ("you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave").

I also heard the Hotel California is a satanic church. That's an odd interpretation, but it gives the song a whole different feel.

In case anyone was wondering, Brian Wilson composed "Good Vibrations" to be what he felt was the perfect sonic representation of an acid trip.

Yeah the three main ones I've heard of are Last Dance with Mary Jane by Tom Petty, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds by the Beatles, and Mr. Tambourine Man by Bob Dylan. Oh, and my mom says that Magic Bus by the Who is, too. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds obviously is, I mean they didnt even try to cover it up. Newspaper taxis, the girl with kaleidoscope eyes, sheesh.

Actually, if you believe John, the song is named after a picture his kid drew.

yeah, but something tells me that after the "bigger than Jesus" debacle, the record company wasn't too keen on him going public about his music being all about drugs. Though much of it obviously was.

It's hard to believe that there was only, what, three or four years between the time they were doing "Please Please Me" and stuff like that to the time that they did "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds". That was a big evolution in a short amount of time!

My personal favorite Beatles album is the White Album. My mom used to play that a lot when I was a kid, I think that's why I like it so much.

Dan said:
yeah, but something tells me that after the "bigger than Jesus" debacle, the record company wasn't too keen on him going public about his music being all about drugs. Though much of it obviously was.

It's hard to believe that there was only, what, three or four years between the time they were doing "Please Please Me" and stuff like that to the time that they did "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds". That was a big evolution in a short amount of time!

My personal favorite Beatles album is the White Album. My mom used to play that a lot when I was a kid, I think that's why I like it so much.

I remember when Lennon made the statement that was missquoted and blown way out of preportion . I was in high school at the time and he was making a point about young people and religion . He stated that more young people would rather go to see the Beatles than go to church , I totally agreed with him , I would have much rather gone to see the Beatles than sit in church . Then the headlines came out with "Lennon says he is bigger than Jesus" . The media went nuts and radio stations and churches were having burn Beatle album events . I even remember a steamroller crushing albums and other memorabilia . The Dixie Chicks didn't suffer at all in comparison . I have read many interviews with he and McCartney and even to this day Paul claims it was written about a drawing Julian had done . I wouldn't doubt that the choice of the title was meant to have a double meaning , after all look at the Paul is dead thing . I read that there were over 200 different things that people had discovered in songs and photographs to make them think that Paul was dead . Amazingly entertaining times , with very little violence in lyrics .
What made people in the music industry become so pissed off? I saw a picture of that twat Emminem on a magazine cover the other day . Why is he so pissed . He has absolutely no musical talent (compared to any real musicians), he is somehow stealing millions of dollars in the music industry(while actual musicians sweep floors across the country)and he is pissed , what a joke . He couldn't handle wiping Carlos Santana's ass.
:puke3: There I go on a rant again :poop:

I knew the "Bigger than Jesus" comment was misquoted and blown out of proportion, but either way, it was bad publicity for the band. But, I guess Lennon's the only one who will really know what that song's really about. I mean, it doesn't really matter, we all know that they were big into drugs either way.

I agree about Eminem. I'm sick of rap artists on the cover of magazines trying to look as mean as they possibly can. Eminem's new CD sucked, too, he's really running out of ideas. For the first album or two, the angry white guy bit worked a lot better than it does now that he's rich and famous and everything.

Dan said:
I knew the "Bigger than Jesus" comment was misquoted and blown out of proportion, but either way, it was bad publicity for the band. But, I guess Lennon's the only one who will really know what that song's really about. I mean, it doesn't really matter, we all know that they were big into drugs either way.

I agree about Eminem. I'm sick of rap artists on the cover of magazines trying to look as mean as they possibly can. Eminem's new CD sucked, too, he's really running out of ideas. For the first album or two, the angry white guy bit worked a lot better than it does now that he's rich and famous and everything.

Exactly , when do we all tell them to shove their bullshit attitudes . I am amazed at how that crap sells .

Just some of my personal favorites that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet. :D

Rolling Stones - Monkey Man
Rolling Stones - Let it bleed
Dr. Hook - I got stoned and I missed it
Rolling Stones - Sister Morphine
Nick Drake - Cocaine Blues
Jonney Cash/David Allen Coe - Cocain Carolina
Greatful Dead - Casey Jones
Canned Heat - Amphetamine Annie
Sublime - Smoke Two Joints

Forum List

Back