Songbook by Nick Hornby

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
Some people might find the entire idea of this book very pretentious on the part of Nick Hornby. It is nothing more than a list of essays on Hornby's favorite songs of all time and why he loves them. He addresses the 'why should we care' issue at the very beginning, though he basically notes that he doesn't know why you should, but he loves writing about music and people seemed to enjoy it, so he did it anyway. Hornby doesn't overanalyse and dissect the music the way, honestly, a trained musician would do. Rather, he tries to put across the feelings that he gets from the songs. Picture his brilliant book "High Fidelity" without any sort of plot, simply about the music, and you get the idea. This one gets extra points because he makes note of my favorite song of all time, a rare acoustic version of Bruce Springsteen's "Thunder Road". If you love music, this is a definite must-read.

Is this the book you got when we hit Barnes and Noble???

BTW - I have been reading up on the other book, let me know if you have the questions?????

Yeah, this is one of the ones I got from there.

As for the other book, I had a really freaky dream last night and for the life of me I can't remember it at all! It makes me mad, I just woke up like 20 minutes ago!!!

Forum List

Back