Sometimes the bias goes a bit too far

Montrovant

Fuzzy bears!
May 4, 2009
A Picturesque Apocalypse
I go to Foxnews.com pretty much every morning while I eat breakfast. I just have found I like the setup of their site. I've seen some bias, but usually not enough for me to say anything.

I was reading today, as usual, when I saw that one of their headlines was "NOTHING BUT 'A FRAUD'?
Obama's Pal Ayers Blasts Teach for America Program"

Here's a link to the article :Obama pal Bill Ayers calls Teach for America 'a fraud' | Fox News

Now, this article has nothing to do with Obama. It's about a teachers program and Ayers reaction to it. Still, the headline and article call Ayers Obama's pal twice, as well as his confidant. There was no reason to bring up Obama, especially since everything I remember reading has said that he and Ayers were not 'pals'. Acquaintances, perhaps associates, but never close enough to be called pals. This seems like a very clear attempt to smear Obama in a backhanded way.

This isn't an attempt to attack FOX and ignore any other media bias; I'm sure there are examples of liberal bias to be found as well. If I frequented MSNBC.com I'd probably have tons of them. Maybe if I read CNN.com more frequently I'd see more as well. I just felt compelled to post this example after I saw it. It's an egregious example of bias in media IMO.

Finding unslanted news is a pain. :tongue:

I go to Foxnews.com pretty much every morning while I eat breakfast. I just have found I like the setup of their site. I've seen some bias, but usually not enough for me to say anything.

I was reading today, as usual, when I saw that one of their headlines was "NOTHING BUT 'A FRAUD'?

Here's a link to the article :Obama pal Bill Ayers calls Teach for America 'a fraud' | Fox News

Now, this article has nothing to do with Obama. It's about a teachers program and Ayers reaction to it. Still, the headline and article call Ayers Obama's pal twice, as well as his confidant. There was no reason to bring up Obama, especially since everything I remember reading has said that he and Ayers were not 'pals'. Acquaintances, perhaps associates, but never close enough to be called pals. This seems like a very clear attempt to smear Obama in a backhanded way.

This isn't an attempt to attack FOX and ignore any other media bias; I'm sure there are examples of liberal bias to be found as well. If I frequented MSNBC.com I'd probably have tons of them. Maybe if I read CNN.com more frequently I'd see more as well. I just felt compelled to post this example after I saw it. It's an egregious example of bias in media IMO.

This isn't an attempt to attack FOX and ignore any other media bias; I'm sure there are examples of liberal bias to be found as well. If I frequented MSNBC.com I'd probably have tons of them. Maybe if I read CNN.com more frequently I'd see more as well.

You would and there are. When people admit there is a left leaning bias in most media I might be ready to entertain discussing Fox News seriously

Bias exists everywhere, it's a part of being human.

Okay okay I an fessing up. I go to the news where the cutest guys are! :D

I actually rarely watch 24/7 national news anymore. Often tedious and they all repeat the news of the day over and over. Also if people were not such unthinking sheep they would be immune to bias.

It's a proper connection for Fox to make since Barry described Ayers as just some guy in the neighborhood while campaigning in '07 - '08, which, had the media done but a smidgen of homework, could have informed the public he was lying his ass off.

Barry and Billy worked together for 5 - 6 years at the Chicago Annenberg Challenge, which is quite different that just being aware of someone in the neighborhood. But there's some reason Barry never dwells on his CAC days, didn't even mention that period of work in his books which I find quite interesting.

It's a proper connection for Fox to make since Barry described Ayers as just some guy in the neighborhood while campaigning in '07 - '08, which, had the media done but a smidgen of homework, could have informed the public he was lying his ass off.

Barry and Billy worked together for 5 - 6 years at the Chicago Annenberg Challenge, which is quite different that just being aware of someone in the neighborhood. But there's some reason Barry never dwells on his CAC days, didn't even mention that period of work in his books which I find quite interesting.

You're the one that's lying their ass off. For a more even handed analysis of their relationship check out:

snopes.com: Barack Obama and Bill Ayers

Even if Ayers and Obama WERE pals, considering the article had nothing to do with Obama, putting that in multiple times seems like a clear attempt at a smear to me.

I just wish our media were more concerned with truth than ratings, I suppose. There's not much to do about it, though. Unless people demand objective journalism en mass, the news companies will use the sensationalism that makes them the most money.

Bias exists everywhere, it's a part of being human.

Okay okay I an fessing up. I go to the news where the cutest guys are! :D

I actually rarely watch 24/7 national news anymore. Often tedious and they all repeat the news of the day over and over. Also if people were not such unthinking sheep they would be immune to bias.

I think 24 hour news stations are bad for our health. Watching them gives the impression that the world is going to hell in a hand basket, when that's simply not the case.

There was a thread about the flu, where someone was calling it the worst in 10 years, and all these people have died, yadda yadda. When in fact, it's looking to be a rather moderate season, but the overreporting of it makes people feel as though its something new and frightening.

This isn't an attempt to attack FOX and ignore any other media bias; I'm sure there are examples of liberal bias to be found as well.

There isn't a main stream news outlet, or an admittedly liberal news outlet (not sure what theat would be) in the entire WORLD, that comes anywhere NEAR Fox News when it comes to political bias.

Fox News is simply the offical tool of the Republican Party.

We go to a restaurant at least once a week that has a high-def screen up in front of the counter. We like to sit at the counter, so we get to watch what the owner has on. You guessed it. Usually, Hannity is on. I said to my wife just the other night, "Can't this jerk ever say ANYTHING nice or positive?" All I ever see him do is mouth nasty remarks about anything that isn't neocon.

But it isn't just Hannity, who makes no bones about being a Republican shill. Fox News calls morons like Hannity their "opinion section," thereby oozing around the requirement for objective reporting of genuine news. (Never mind the fact that the entire time Hannity is on screen, there is a logo on the screen as well that says: "Fox News." Why doesn't it say: "Fox Opinion"? Answer: because they want to create the impression that the crap Hannity is mouthing is, in fact, news, rather than opinion.)

The real problem I have with Fox is, when they get around to reporting genuine news, it is still biased. It's biased by they way they present it and it's biased by the stories they select to show and the stories they choose not to show. There is nothing worse than propaganda disguised as actual news. That's why Fox News is a threat to democracy.

This isn't an attempt to attack FOX and ignore any other media bias; I'm sure there are examples of liberal bias to be found as well.

There isn't a main stream news outlet, or an admittedly liberal news outlet (not sure what theat would be) in the entire WORLD, that comes anywhere NEAR Fox News when it comes to political bias.

Fox News is simply the offical tool of the Republican Party.

We go to a restaurant at least once a week that has a high-def screen up in front of the counter. We like to sit at the counter, so we get to watch what the owner has on. You guessed it. Usually, Hannity is on. I said to my wife just the other night, "Can't this jerk ever say ANYTHING nice or positive?" All I ever see him do is mouth nasty remarks about anything that isn't neocon.

But it isn't just Hannity, who makes no bones about being a Republican shill. Fox News calls morons like Hannity their "opinion section," thereby oozing around the requirement for objective reporting of genuine news. (Never mind the fact that the entire time Hannity is on screen, there is a logo on the screen as well that says: "Fox News." Why doesn't it say: "Fox Opinion"? Answer: because they want to create the impression that the crap Hannity is mouthing is, in fact, news, rather than opinion.)

The real problem I have with Fox is, when they get around to reporting genuine news, it is still biased. It's biased by they way they present it and it's biased by the stories they select to show and the stories they choose not to show. There is nothing worse than propaganda disguised as actual news. That's why Fox News is a threat to democracy.

George, I love ya but do you think you have an unbiased enough eye and ear to even see liberal media bias? You do know it exists, right?

What’s a pain is finding a truthful account of a given news story you suspect or know to be false.

Remember the good old days of news reporting? They just gave you the facts. You had to make up your own mind as to what you thought of the news story. Now, they tell you what you are suppose to think and more often than not the news they tell you isn't the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Doesn't matter who you are listening to be it CBS, NBC, MSNBC, Fox or anybody else. It's pretty sad.

welcome to reality in right wing world

:eusa_clap:

The word "pal" is noting new in the mainstream media. It denotes all sorts of things like sexual partners or criminal partners or even business associates or political advisers. The word "pal" is biased only if you think it is biased. For a little perspective on bias the freaking liberal media did a serial story on the Nixon administration with an undisclosed (fake?) informant. Get a life you phony a-holes.

Forum List

Back