Sometimes I'm humbled...

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
I would love to be smarter. I'd love to be able to articulate 'why' I believe something like some of you do. I used to think I was fairly smart, until I joined this board - on other boards I've nearly given-up arguing for 'truth'; I know why I believe things, I just can't essplain it. I don't have the education or the insights to adequately defend things in the face of Militant Liberals. I read some of y'alls threads/replies to threads and thinking "Dammit!! I should have thought of that!"

So...Nice job, smart people. I hope my intellect grows via e-osmosis. :)

-=d=- said:
I would love to be smarter. I'd love to be able to articulate 'why' I believe something like some of you do. I used to think I was fairly smart, until I joined this board - on other boards I've nearly given-up arguing for 'truth'; I know why I believe things, I just can't essplain it. I don't have the education or the insights to adequately defend things in the face of Militant Liberals. I read some of y'alls threads/replies to threads and thinking "Dammit!! I should have thought of that!"

So...Nice job, smart people. I hope my intellect grows via e-osmosis. :)

Seems to me you do more than alright! (Voice of experience, from a conservative of sorts.)

I hear what you mean though, someone like MM that can throw out a oneliner, I stand in awe of! :clap1:

Kathianne said:
Seems to me you do more than alright! (Voice of experience, from a conservative of sorts.)

I hear what you mean though, someone like MM that can throw out a oneliner, I stand in awe of! :clap1:

This thread was inspired by Hobbit's breakdown of that one yahoo's thread..about bush sucks. He disected and obliterated any chance of a reply other than "Uh..yeah...I guess you are right" coming from the offending non-thinker. :)

But there have been many others. SpikesMyGod - his Pre-election rant. That sorta thing.

-=d=- said:
This thread was inspired by Hobbit's breakdown of that one yahoo's thread..about bush sucks. He disected and obliterated any chance of a reply other than "Uh..yeah...I guess you are right" coming from the offending non-thinker. :)

But there have been many others. SpikesMyGod - his Pre-election rant. That sorta thing.

Spikes IS my hero! (Where the hell has he gone? Probably writing a book I hope!) Yes, Hobbit's breakdown is awesome!

-=d=- said:

I saw that, pretty cool. I agree too, some of the people here are wicked!
I think my problem is attention span, if it takes more than five minutes to respond, I often don't bother.

I'd love to be able to articulate 'why' I believe something like some of you do.

Y'know, I was thinking about this recently. I think the reason I don't (or try not to) get into any political or religious discussion with the folks around here is because

a) they're way smarter than me

and

b) they're way more articulate and passionate about that sort of thing than me

Like, for example, I step lightly when talking about religion around folks like Jeff, because I don't want to offend him with my ignorance on the subject, especially when compared to how smart he is on the subject (among others). So, I prefer to stick to the bottom half of the board, that's how I avoid conflict and my own shortcomings as a debater.:D

That said, if anyone wants to talk indie rock or Kevin Smith movies, I'm all for a debate on that!

Dan said:
Like, for example, I step lightly when talking about religion around folks like Jeff, because I don't want to offend him with my ignorance on the subject, especially when compared to how smart he is on the subject (among others). So, I prefer to stick to the bottom half of the board, that's how I avoid conflict and my own shortcomings as a debater.:D

Now I'm humbled!

Dan, ever hear of Eighty Times Simplified?

Dan, ever hear of Eighty Times Simplified?

I haven't, but I just Googled them and found this description:

Our music consists of 2 ounces of classic rock,
2 ounces of old-school punk, 1.475 ounces of pop love songs

And I'm now interested, so I'll check them out and let you know.

Dan said:
That said, if anyone wants to talk indie rock or Kevin Smith movies, I'm all for a debate on that!

They suck! Just kidding. Don't sell yourself short, I probably sounded more like Lolita when I started posting on message boards a few years ago, probably still do sometimes. :D

Dan said:
I haven't, but I just Googled them and found this description:

And I'm now interested, so I'll check them out and let you know.

I mentioned it because the lead singer's (Josh/John Lennox) parents are friends of mine at our church. The music is pretty good... it's got a touch of Sublime, atouch of classic rock, and a touch of indie feel to it.

Forum List

Back