Sometimes I Miss..

Skull Pilot

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2007
Vinyl.

I love the album cover art and especially the liner notes

I still have hundreds of old albums in storage. Sometimes I'll just page through them

Digital music is great for portability and in all honesty collecting as you can amass a huge library for short money but I really miss what vinyl used to give us along with the great music

I was watching this and man did I get nostalgic. That's why I love music

I thought vinyl was making a comeback?

I gave my son all my vinyl albums - although, we still have a turn table, stereo and speakers set up in the basement - my husband still has his. There have been a few occasions we have gone down and listened to them. It's a fun thing to do on an evening when there is nothing else to do...

I still love my double album jackets with the book pages in them

The art work was great

And it's not all about the sound it's the experience of the music. It was just more engaging. You can't sit down with an MP3 file and read about the studio sessions and the making of the music.

thanks for the blast from the past.

two things I wish I had done. Seen Led Zepplin live and gone to Woodstock.

Vinyl renders a far truer musical image.

I dunno how people can even listen to music on their tinny, feeble smart phones and ghetto blasters.

I recently purchased a few records, but only because the songs that are on them were never made available on CD.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. I prefer CDs because they are smaller and you don't have to worry about them getting warped if they end up being left in a hot enough area long enough.

Vinyl renders a far truer musical image.

I dunno how people can even listen to music on their tinny, feeble smart phones and ghetto blasters.

I once was in an airport coming home from sea patrol and me and an officier were drinking beers. He told the story of how folks couldn't tell the difference between beers in a blind taste test. After awhile he says how about we try this different beer so I go to buy that beer. Turns out they were sold out so I bought the same beer we had been drinking. He took on swig and said see that is a better beer.

Point is, a lot of things are subjective and it appears this argument is one of them. I am surprised you didn't say vinyl with a tube amplifier.

Anyway:

Analog (Vinyl) vs Digital Audio (CD, FLAC) Sound Quality Comparison

By every measure, digital audio is superior to analog. Even the standard redbook CD (44kHz, 16 bit resolution) has about a 26dB advantage to vinyl with respect to dynamic range, and at least a 40-50 dB advantage in stereo separation as well as unmeasurable wow and flutter. A digital recording doesn't degrade overtime like a record does when played too many times. I can go on, but you get the point. On paper, digital audio is superior. However, if I've learned anything over the years of running this website is there is often quite a difference between theory and reality. Most technical people, especially electrical engineers, can suffer from what I call CMS (Closed Minded Syndrome), relying solely on hard data and facts to draw a conclusion before testing the reality of the situation to determine correlation. Admittedly I am often guilty of the CMS effect myself, but my engineering mind has opened up quite a bit over the years. While I used to measure first and listen after, I now do the opposite. I don't want my objective data to bias my sonic perceptions of a product. I've found this approach much more useful to gauge my true enjoyment of a product I have under review. I use measurements as a tool to troubleshoot potential design flaws, not necessarily to declare product superiority. I've even written an article on Why We Measure Audio Component Performance that discusses this very topic in greater detail.

Forum List

Back