Sometimes I just have to shake my head.

man...

i saw that .. that's so disappointing...

krs has lost it.

he used to be such a good inspiration for so many people to not join gangs, do drugs, and keep your integrity.

crazy...

Mainframe said:
man...

i saw that .. that's so disappointing...

krs has lost it.

he used to be such a good inspiration for so many people to not join gangs, do drugs, and keep your integrity.

crazy...

Desperation breeds insanity. Many liberals are going insane. Less than 20 days to go. People will be going crazy on the left.

Im glad I went with an instinct and checked this out..

He was taken a bit out of context, but make your own assumptions:

KRS-ONE’S RESPONSE TO THE DAILY NEWS
Like everyone I was shocked to read that I and other African-Americans actually “cheered when 911 happened” and that I have “declared my solidarity with Al Qaeda”. When I read my words taken out of context I was shocked and disappointed that the Daily News would go this far to assassinate my character and distort my views. Such statements with no follow up explanation or interview from KRS-ONE as to what he may have meant or even a complete quote of my point is simply irresponsible journalism on the Daily News’ part. I would never just say something as crazy as “we cheered when 911 happened!” I was making an objective point about how many Hiphoppas as well as the oppressed peoples of the world felt that day. I am a philosopher and a critical thinker, I speak truth and I urge people to think critically about themselves and their environment. Yes, my words are strong. Yes, my views are controversial. But to call me a terrorist is simply wrong!

A young lady asked about what we can do beyond voting to change the political state of things in our country? I responded not by irresponsibly stating that “America has to commit suicide if the world is to be a better place” and that’s all. I am a poet and I speak poetically. My full statement was “America has to commit suicide if the world is to be a better place. If you want to go beyond voting American interests must put a gun to its head and commit suicide because as long as long as we are only interested in American interests we go out and invade the rest of the world. The real question is are you a citizen of the United States or are you a citizen of the world? And so for me, I would say voting in a corrupt society adds more corruption.”

I was asked by the New Yorker magazine to discuss “different and personal beliefs musicians hold and the contribution artists like myself can make to the nation’s political dialog”. My views were indeed different and most were personal. However, when I was asked about why Hiphop has not engaged the current situation more (meaning 911) my responds was “because it does not affect us, or at least we don’t perceive that it effects us, 911 happened to them”. I went on to say that “I am speaking for the culture now; I am not speaking my personal opinion”. I continued to say; “911 effected them down the block; the rich, the powerful those that are oppressing us as a culture. Sony, RCA or BMG, Universal, the radio stations, Clear Channel, Viacom with BET and MTV, those are our oppressors those are the people that we’re trying to overcome in Hiphop everyday, this is a daily thing. We cheered when 911 happened in New York and say that proudly here. Because when we were down at the trade center we were getting hit over the head by cops, told that we can’t come in this building, hustled down to the train station because of the way we dressed and talked, and so on, we were racially profiled. So, when the planes hit the building we were like; mmmm justice.” And just as I began to say “now of course a lot of our friends and family were lost there as well” but I was interrupted.

My intent is never to demean or disrespect anyone’s loss or gain; and of course I did not literally “cheer when 911 happened”. I made an objective statement about the feelings of those who were oppressed by world trade policies. I was just as saddened as everyone else on 911. However, for many of us that were racially profiled and harassed by the World’s Trade Center’s security and the police patrolling that area as well as the thousands of American protesters that spoke out against the World Trade Organization months before in Seattle, Washington there was a sense of justice, a sense of change, a wake up call watching the twin towers fall. These are not my views only; these views represent a popular truth that few people are really ready to hear. No one wished death on anyone or just sat and “cheered when 911 happened”. But some of us can see through the bullshit! America must change its approach to the world and its citizens. This, I believe is what all Americans should be thinking about. How do we make our country better?

For years my career has been one of promoting peace, love, unity and having fun; such has always been Hiphop’s cultural principles. So how all of a sudden now can I be aligned with Al Qaeda? What happened to honest debate and freedom of speech! I don’t speak for the African American community exclusively, I speak for HIPHOP! And let me be clear here; most of the Hiphop community is against the war in Iraq! But to align me with Al Qaeda is clearly an attempt by the Daily News to interrupt the street voice of our Hiphop community, KRS-ONE’s leadership and the increased momentum of our Hiphop political movement. I don’t think Al Qaeda needs my solidarity nor did I ever offer it, so what’s the point. For a major news organization to now align KRS-ONE with Al Qaeda shows the unwarranted contempt that such an organization has for me. Such is grounds for a law suit!

Finally, no one should ever believe anything that the one-sided Daily News has to say about the same Hiphop community that it (the Daily News) has tried so desperately to undermine for years. The only thing the Daily News seems to be interested in is scandal and controversy and for years I have challenged the Daily News on its depictions of Rap artists and Hiphop as a whole. I know they don’t like me. However, I don’t give a ---- either! They never cover our efforts toward peace and all the charitable work we do within the Hiphop community. They never air our grievances or how we feel about the state of the world, nor have they ever aired our views on America’s invasion of Iraq simply because they just don’t want to hear them. The Hiphop community forces America to look at itself; and no one likes to take b.l.a.m.e. for their own for immaturity Because Looking At Me ain’t Easy!

For the record, I am an American philosopher. I speak and seek truth. If the slander that the Daily News has printed regarding my political views has disrespectfully offended anyone in any way I truly apologize. Again, it was never my or Hiphop’s intent to disregard, disrespect or demean the tragedy of September 11th 2001 and those that died that day. However, we do have a voice and a point of view and if you are not prepared to hear what Hiphop has to say about its view of world events then don’t ask!

http://www.templeofhiphop.org

Main,

Thanks for the follow up. He tries to water down his original comments, but the main premise is still there. The people in the WTC deserved it.

However, for many of us that were racially profiled and harassed by the World’s Trade Center’s security and the police patrolling that area as well as the thousands of American protesters that spoke out against the World Trade Organization months before in Seattle, Washington there was a sense of justice, a sense of change, a wake up call watching the twin towers fall. These are not my views only; these views represent a popular truth that few people are really ready to hear. No one wished death on anyone or just sat and “cheered when 911 happened”. But some of us can see through the bullshit! America must change its approach to the world and its citizens. This, I believe is what all Americans should be thinking about. How do we make our country better?

No, no, no. The Daily News might have been guilty of slander had the words of this profiteer and trafficker in the politics of envy been, "There is no justification for the coldblooded and cowardly murder of thousands of innocent Americans just going about their business", or something like that. Slander, my ass. "Poet", my ass. In a saner time and place, this traitor would have been afraid to show his face.

dilloduck said:
Is this a job the mods gave ya or do you just like to "help" us out ?

you gettin smart with me mr? ;)

I saw this from KRS and had to post it mainly so people dont get their facts too outta wack. We dont just trust just one source do we?

If you wanna bash, by all means, have at it. But at least fully know what the guy is saying. That's all.

Mainframe said:
you gettin smart with me mr? ;)

I saw this from KRS and had to post it mainly so people dont get their facts too outta wack. We dont just trust just one source do we?

If you wanna bash, by all means, have at it. But at least fully know what the guy is saying. That's all.

na just starting to seeing you as a person who likes to play both sides without taking a firm stance on any issues and drop a few bombs here and there---have at it !!

maybe online you see that because i ask questions both ways. i just wanna get to the truth. then i make my stance.

my stance is basically moderate. im a complex person.. i love some things, hate others. im greedy in some categories and more open in others.

i could easily "pick a side" but honestly, i dont agree with either side's policies fully. so i dont risk my integrity to please.

a few times here ive already changed my mind due to reading/discussing further into a topic. would i be a flip flop then? or a truth seeker?

but on the same note, im not running for office so who cares? :)
im voting this election and thats what counts.

shame on krs-one for making hip-hop and blacks look bad with ignorant comments. for a man so "educated" he seems to be growing ever more and more full of shit (his musical career has plummeted lately with this kind of crap)

a personal rebuttal to his ignorance....

i was attending NC A&T University (a historically black college in greensboro, NC) in September of 2001, and trust me, people were not celebrating. there are many people who are from or have lived in the NYC area, and they were in shock and mourning. in fact, compared to the same night discussion students had at UNCG, A&T students did not blame america or bush or anyone. they blamed terrorists and wondered if we would be able to stop them from attacking again. fast forward to the NFL super bowl a few months later, and U2's amazing super bowl halftime show tribute to the victims of 9/11, and there were many of my black classmates and friends in tears and raised spirits as they read the names and enjoyed music they normally wouldn't admit to enjoying or listening to (image is everything at our age)

as far as rap and dealing with 9/11, acts such as Cam'ron, The Diplomats, Jay-Z, Nas, Rakim, Fabolous, Jadakiss, Eve, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Postaboy and several other notable artists have had songs or lengthy verses about 9/11 and its effects on life in NY.

In fact, Postaboy's brother, a mail worker in one of the towers, died on 9/11. He's dedicated several live performances at concerts to his brother, as well as crafting several songs about his loss and his mourning (his album has yet to be released due to record label politics)

in broader black musical culture, alicia keys, mary j. blige and several other notable R&B/soul acts have also tackled 9/11 in various ways.

NATO AIR said:
shame on krs-one for making hip-hop and blacks look bad with ignorant comments. for a man so "educated" he seems to be growing ever more and more full of shit (his musical career has plummeted lately with this kind of crap)

Maybe it was just me but his "rebuttal" seemed to cement what they originally said. He is happy that 911 happened because it happened to some "oppressors". America is getting what she deserved and should just commit suicide. Yet somehow the media took his comments out of context. I dont buy it. That guy doesnt know the first thing about oppression. If he was being oppressed he wouldnt be a musical star to begin with. but the man is too ungrateful to Thank God that he can make it as big as he did with such little talent. quite frankly the guy is a selfish lunatic who cant see past himself for three seconds. :cuckoo:

Forum List

Back