Something to think about

Powerman

Jul 23, 2005
My friend Zach came to visit me last night for a bit and he brought up an interesting point. It is his contention that most people if faced with the choice that Jesus had would have done the same thing. In other words most people are decent enough people where they would give their life to save the entire world. People give their life for much less all the time so it might be tough to argue against his logic.

Powerman said:
My friend Zach came to visit me last night for a bit and he brought up an interesting point. It is his contention that most people if faced with the choice that Jesus had would have done the same thing. In other words most people are decent enough people where they would give their life to save the entire world. People give their life for much less all the time so it might be tough to argue against his logic.

That's a pretty shitty out-of-context quote you have in your sig.

Powerman said:
I would submit "most" people could give a shit about the "whole" world.
I think most would be much more selective. Just my opinion.

dmp said:
That's a pretty shitty out-of-context quote you have in your sig.

I have to agree with you there. Perhaps PM would like to rethink that? :smoke:

Kathianne said:
I have to agree with you there. Perhaps PM would like to rethink that? :smoke:

OK folks I removed the sig quote. I thought it was pretty shitty even in the context but that's just me.

So Kathy. If you could save the world by giving your life would you do it? I would.

Powerman said:

I tend to agree. I think there are alot of people who would be willing to die for others. I had a conversation with one of my friends who is in a seminary to become a catholic priest. He mentioned something about how he wonders if He could sacrfice himself and for the Lord if it served some greater purpose. I think dying for the Lord is easy. I think its living for the Lord that would be a greater challenge.

Powerman said:
OK folks I removed the sig quote. I thought it was pretty shitty even in the context but that's just me.

So Kathy. If you could save the world by giving your life would you do it? I would.
I don't know, I guess the more reasoned response would be that I would do so to protect those I love or those in my care. What Jesus did is bigger than that. In effect, mine would be to care for those I know or even perhaps for the 'greater good.' It would be an instataneous decision. His was to let us all be able to come to our own conclusions and decisions. He knew from the getgo that he was born to die horribly and painfully.

Kathianne said:

The greater the stakes the more likely you would be to go through with it. For example if you dying would save a loved one you might do it. Now if this loved one was one of your kids the stakes just got higher because you care about them more than everyone else. But what if the stakes were everyone in the history and future of the world. That of course would include family. And your death will give everlasting life to billions of people including yourself. I would say at that point the stakes are so high that there is almost no way you wouldn't do it if you were a somewhat decent person. Not that many people are that greedy.

Powerman said:
The greater the stakes the more likely you would be to go through with it. For example if you dying would save a loved one you might do it. Now if this loved one was one of your kids the stakes just got higher because you care about them more than everyone else. But what if the stakes were everyone in the history and future of the world. That of course would include family. And your death will give everlasting life to billions of people including yourself. I would say at that point the stakes are so high that there is almost no way you wouldn't do it if you were a somewhat decent person. Not that many people are that greedy.

First you would have to convince me that my dying would do that. Good luck on that one. Seriously.

Kathianne said:
First you would have to convince me that my dying would do that. Good luck on that one. Seriously.

Of course. We are talking about if you were in the same position as Jesus. He knew that his death would save everyone. Who wouldn't do the same in his position? I would have.

Jesus didn't die for the world. Jesus died, then rose from the dead, for all of humanity. It's MUCH more than simply dying. It's taking Powerman's, and My, and my great-grandchildren's sins upon Himself...paying their cost for their ungodliness.

Powerman said:
Of course. We are talking about if you were in the same position as Jesus. He knew that his death would save everyone. Who wouldn't do the same in his position? I would have.
But then I would be God, which I'm not. So I guess the answer would be No. He said Yes.

dmp said:
Jesus didn't die for the world. Jesus died, then rose from the dead, for all of humanity. It's MUCH more than simply dying. It's taking Powerman's, and My, and my great-grandchildren's sins upon Himself...paying their cost for their ungodliness.

So it seems like a no brainer. If I could do the same thing then I certainly would. Would you give your life if you knew it would save the sould of all of humanity?

dmp said:

Do you think Jesus is suffering any ill effects from this sacrifice?

Kathianne said:
But then I would be God, which I'm not. So I guess the answer would be No. He said Yes.

You wouldn't be God. You would just be a person. If you were in the same position of Jesus I think that you would willingly die for something so great. You've already said you would give your life for something much less. I don't see why you wouldn't do it for this.

Powerman said:
You wouldn't be God. You would just be a person. If you were in the same position of Jesus I think that you would willingly die for something so great. You've already said you would give your life for something much less. I don't see why you wouldn't do it for this.
I guess this might seem funny from someone who loves to deal with the 'abstract', yet I'm honest enough to state right out, I would probably throw myself in front of a speeding bullet, car, train to save someone I loved or was responsible for. If I was young enough, I would have gone for the military after 9/11-hell I would have after USS Cole, but wouldn't have trusted Clinton, which would have proven out.

Now to take on the idea that 'my dying' would save the world, sorry I'm not God and I wouldn't buy into that. I'm a gnat, a very imperfect gnat at that.

Kathianne said:
I guess this might seem funny from someone who loves to deal with the 'abstract', yet I'm honest enough to state right out, I would probably throw myself in front of a speeding bullet, car, train to save someone I loved or was responsible for. If I was young enough, I would have gone for the military after 9/11-hell I would have after USS Cole, but wouldn't have trusted Clinton, which would have proven out.

Now to take on the idea that 'my dying' would save the world, sorry I'm not God and I wouldn't buy into that. I'm a gnat, a very imperfect gnat at that.

OK but you're just being silly. It's a hypothetical. IF someone could actually convince you that your dying would save the world then you would certainly do it right?

Powerman said:
OK but you're just being silly. It's a hypothetical. IF someone could actually convince you that your dying would save the world then you would certainly do it right?

Seriously, how in the world would you or anyone convince me that my 'dying' would save the world? I would laugh, harder than you do at the idea of a "God."

Forum List

Back